Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,943,168 times

Advertisements

Where in FL were you when you lived around "mostly natives?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
So what about those of us who are considering moving to WNC who hate "Floridiots" as much as you do?

This is my first post, so I might as well introduce myself.

My name is Ray. I was born in NY, but I may as well be a Florida native because I moved here by force when I was 2 years old. I am 26 now and I have hated FL my whole life. Throughout my life I've always heard the expression that Florida is the Nation's toilet because all of the crap comes down here. I'm here to say in a lot of cases that is definitely true. If you look at fark.com for example, they have their own tag for stories that come out of Florida specifically. This state is full of people much like the Floridiots previously mentioned in this thread as well as inconsiderate white trash.

I have fallen in love with the idea of moving to North Carolina. I'm not sure whereabouts exactly, but I think its a nice change of pace. My main motivation is weather. Florida weather is enraging. Most people come down here for retirement, or for escape from harsh winters, but I am searching for that next plane ticket out of here. All my life I have known nothing but summers that last far too long, sometimes 10 months. With "winter" being mostly in the high 70's - low 80's with some cold fronts peppered in. Its pretty annoying to see people bundle up the minute the temps dip below 70 and complain about how they are freezing. I don't know where exactly on the US map I belong to be honest, but I know its not Florida. I simply want better weather, and NC seems to be the place for me. I hate everything about Florida, including the people here with the exception of my small circle of family and friends. I'm wondering how I would be perceived and embraced out in Asheville. I am planning a week trip there for next fall to scout out the area for schools, job market, housing, things like that. It seems like there might be some prejudice towards newcomers by the locals. Maybe I don't fit that category because I'm only seeking refuge from this horrid Florida climate. I only pose a threat in terms of finding employment.

I'm babbling now, but any advice for a young married father of 2 such as myself interested in learning more about the community and looking at Asheville as a possible place to live?

Last edited by xellios; 12-08-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellios View Post
So what about those of us who are considering moving to WNC who hate "Floridiots" as much as you do?

This is my first post, so I might as well introduce myself.

My name is Ray. I was born in NY, but I may as well be a Florida native because I moved here by force when I was 2 years old. I am 26 now and I have hated FL my whole life. Throughout my life I've always heard the expression that Florida is the Nation's toilet because all of the crap comes down here. I'm here to say in a lot of cases that is definitely true. If you look at fark.com for example, they have their own tag for stories that come out of Florida specifically. This state is full of people much like the Floridiots previously mentioned in this thread as well as inconsiderate white trash.

I have fallen in love with the idea of moving to North Carolina. I'm not sure whereabouts exactly, but I think its a nice change of pace. My main motivation is weather. Florida weather is enraging. Most people come down here for retirement, or for escape from harsh winters, but I am searching for that next plane ticket out of here. All my life I have known nothing but summers that last far too long, sometimes 10 months. With "winter" being mostly in the high 70's - low 80's with some cold fronts peppered in. Its pretty annoying to see people bundle up the minute the temps dip below 70 and complain about how they are freezing. I don't know where exactly on the US map I belong to be honest, but I know its not Florida. I simply want better weather, and NC seems to be the place for me. I hate everything about Florida, including the people here with the exception of my small circle of family and friends. I'm wondering how I would be perceived and embraced out in Asheville. I am planning a week trip there for next fall to scout out the area for schools, job market, housing, things like that. It seems like there might be some prejudice towards newcomers by the locals. Maybe I don't fit that category because I'm only seeking refuge from this horrid Florida climate. I only pose a threat in terms of finding employment.

I'm babbling now, but any advice for a young married father of 2 such as myself interested in learning more about the community and looking at Asheville as a possible place to live?

As a FL native I can tell you that unfortunately it is true. A lot of criminals, malconents, people trying to escape whoever and whatever seem to move to FL (many of them, not all of course). FL has definitely changed a lot since I was a kid. You know, FL has been known as the "last refuge of the scoundrel" and I can see why at times. It's too bad, because there are a lot of good people here, and there is a lot of beauty, but a lot of good people leave when the undesirables invade the place.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM

267 posts, read 807,186 times
Quote:

I'm a little older than you and a stay at home father to 3 boys, also in Florida and hopefully, only a few weeks or so from moving to the Asheville area. We're moving for the same reasons as you it seems. 31 years of Florida heat and I'm burned out.

The one piece of advice I can give you is to devote that entire week to exploring the area. When we go up, we have a hard time not heading to the parkway or taking full day excursions to this or that waterfall. But the thing to do is come up with a nice priority list for your family, things that you can't live without and things you can, and then spend the week driving all over the place, picking up local papers, talking to people, and searching every possible source for rentals/land or homes for sale.

My wife will probably be working the hospital in Asheville. But we have no intention of living in town. Fletcher and areas like that are more our speed. We'll be renting at first. You can check craigs list for property to rent or buy, and the iwanna site, but you'll have to pay a couple of dollars for a subscription.

What's nice about the area, is how you can live almost completely in the sticks, and be only 15 or 20 minutes from downtown Asheville, with all that the city can provide in food and entertainment.

Good luck, and if you think I might be able to help with anything else, feel free to message me.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
Quote:
I hate everything about Florida, including the people here with the exception of my small circle of family and friends. I'm wondering how I would be perceived and embraced out in Asheville. I am planning a week trip there for next fall to scout out the area for schools, job market, housing, things like that. It seems like there might be some prejudice towards newcomers by the locals. Maybe I don't fit that category because I'm only seeking refuge from this horrid Florida climate. I only pose a threat in terms of finding employment.
NC is going through what FL did a few decades ago--i.e. tremendous, overpaced growth as everyone from everywhere else (MANY of them the same "sorts" who used to move to FL) suddenly "ABSOLUTELY HAS TO" move to NC, just like they "ABSOLUTELY HAD TO" move to Florida 30-40 years ago. Thus, the same social ills are arriving here: a native population dubious about a HUGE HUGE influx of people from other parts of the country, with different sorts of manners and social conventions, and many who are arrogant about where they came from and dissing of the locals. What kind of attitude would you expect would develop, over time, when thousands upon thousands basically "invade" and area and start changing it to make it just like the places they left behind (which makes one wonder, why did they leave if everything was so much better where they came from--which they are usually happy to "remind" you, quite loudly and frequently??)

You sound like you would be more of the same mindset as the locals (having experienced just such an "invasion" to your home area, yourself, and they you aren't the sort who will be received with skepticism because you don't have the attitude that the "Floridiots", as some say, do.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
NC is going through what FL did a few decades ago--i.e. tremendous, overpaced growth as everyone from everywhere else (MANY of them the same "sorts" who used to move to FL) suddenly "ABSOLUTELY HAS TO" move to NC, just like they "ABSOLUTELY HAD TO" move to Florida 30-40 years ago. Thus, the same social ills are arriving here: a native population dubious about a HUGE HUGE influx of people from other parts of the country, with different sorts of manners and social conventions, and many who are arrogant about where they came from and dissing of the locals. What kind of attitude would you expect would develop, over time, when thousands upon thousands basically "invade" and area and start changing it to make it just like the places they left behind (which makes one wonder, why did they leave if everything was so much better where they came from--which they are usually happy to "remind" you, quite loudly and frequently??)

You sound like you would be more of the same mindset as the locals (having experienced just such an "invasion" to your home area, yourself, and they you aren't the sort who will be received with skepticism because you don't have the attitude that the "Floridiots", as some say, do.
You're exactly right. It happened to FL over the last however many years, and now they "have to" move to WNC. The FL landscape has certainly changed and it stinks to see that happen to Asheville and NC too. It's the same people, just moving to a different location.

Remember, calling people "Floridiots" who are from FL is definitely a major "diss" to people like me, a native Floridian. The people that are coming into Asheville and ticking people off with their comments/remarks/attitudes are the same folks who did this to the native Floridians years ago.

Native Floridians, like myself, are just as laid back and friendly as NC natives. I voted for McCain, I am a Christian, I own a truck, a gun, like to fish, hold doors open for people, say Hi, etc...

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You're exactly right. It happened to FL over the last however many years, and now they "have to" move to WNC. The FL landscape has certainly changed and it stinks to see that happen to Asheville and NC too. It's the same people, just moving to a different location.

Remember, calling people "Floridiots" who are from FL is definitely a major "diss" to people like me, a native Floridian. The people that are coming into Asheville and ticking people off with their comments/remarks/attitudes are the same folks who did this to the native Floridians years ago.

Native Floridians, like myself, are just as laid back and friendly as NC natives. I voted for McCain, I am a Christian, I own a truck, a gun, like to fish, hold doors open for people, say Hi, etc...
Florida is going to be a great place again when all the "Floridiots" move to NC and TN - lol! Then this Florida-born native can have her nice state back!

In all seriousness, I really, really hate the term "Floridiot" - it ranks up there with some other not-so-nice names I won't mention here.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Florida is going to be a great place again when all the "Floridiots" move to NC and TN - lol! Then this Florida-born native can have her nice state back!

In all seriousness, I really, really hate the term "Floridiot" - it ranks up there with some other not-so-nice names I won't mention here.

LOL, a lot of the half-backs are moving to NC but the problem is the people from up north with the attitudes and the "this is how we did it in NY" are still moving to FL. And I dont have anything against anyone from NY or wherever, I care about friendly people, who are laid back and dont act like self-centered morons, and unfortunately those are the people drawn to FL. A lot of them are moving to Asheville too, but I find the ones up there nicer, and less miserable than the ones in FL.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,858 times
Angry NY/NJ AKA Floridians

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonocin View Post
I was born in s FL. But a great deal of my family is from western NC. My grandparents and great grandparents great aunt and uncles are buried there. So if i move my wife and kids up there from south fl will locals dislike me? Give me a break .

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
The problem is most Floridians are from NY/NJ so no we don't hate Floridians we do hate NY/NJ a-holes. Doen't everyone??

Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcope View Post
The problem is most Floridians are from NY/NJ so no we don't hate Floridians we do hate NY/NJ a-holes. Doen't everyone??
We have a winner!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina