Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 48,358 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!

Our family is planning on relocating to the Asheville area this spring/summer. I am wondering about the neighborhoods. It seems there are so many to choose from, and the housing costs in the areas are very differnt. Here are some things that are important to us. Maybe someone can give me some tips?

We would like to be close to a good school. We are within walking distance right now, and love that. I have been looking at the Evergreen Charter School online, and really like that type of school. (I also like a lot of the private schools, but don't know if we could swing the tuition.)

We would like to be close to some trails and back roads for running, and taking the kids out.

We would also like to be within walking distance to some things (groceries - even just a small grocer, coffee shop, school, park, neighbors)

We are looking to rent when we arrive and are fine renting long term. We would be looking for 3 or more bedrooms for under $1000.

I like the look of Black Mountain. Does it have the above?

What other neighborhoods are good?
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM

121 posts, read 278,143 times
Delaney,
What age are your children?
Brian

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 PM

9 and 2.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I would focus on West Asheville (Haywood Rd area). It would have almost everything you are looking for, but a $1000 rental is going to be a challenge for a descent home 3bd+. Black Mtn would be a little more expensive and it seems that average age group in Black Mtn. is older.
Brian

PS you might want to look at Weaverville too.....

Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks Brian,

What I think I may do is come out that way a month or so before the actual move, stay in studio or something, and just get familiar with the area and search neighborhoods then. It is so hard to do just internet searching with this. Many of the homes for rent that I see are in Weaverville.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
there are lots of nice (looking) neighborhoods around asheville (don't know them either ), so with kids I would decide for a good school district, I guess.
I would not prefer owen or enka highschool, when I could have roberson or reynolds (or others). middle schools would not be a such big deal. but if you plan on staying for a couple of years .....
here you can find some profiles ReDir

but as I've said, I don't KNOW these schools, I have to relay on google pretty much and what others (realtors eg) say. at least we could drive by (it was during winter break).

If I would not have schoolkids, we probably would moved to west-asheville.

good luck !

Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Delaney,
If you need any help or have specific questions just let us know. The Buncombe county school system as a whole is considered above average in the state so I think you will be alright. Though there are definitely schools that rank better. The link that queenofbavaria posted has a wealth of information on schools. I can provide you a wealth of info on real estate. Hope your search is fruitful.
Brian

Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
Just FYI the charter school is far from a guarantee. They use a lottery system to accept new students and they get about 4 times as many apps as openings. Just something to consider. Also I think you can def. find a house to rent for $1000 a month in west Asheville or most other parts of Asheville for that matter.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 AM

We had dinner last night with some friends who have a house for rent in Asheville. I am going to help them with virtual tour next week and will post it here. It might be something to look at.
Brian

Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,410 times
My mom has a cape cod two story that may be available by then. 3 bedroom + office, 2.5 bath, two car garage. fenced yard in the Beth Eden subdivision 1/4 mile from Fletcher Elementry. Fletcher is south of Asheville. I think she asks $1200. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina