Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times

Advertisements

IMO...EASY ACCESS is ESSENTIAL for a year round home. PERIOD....END of story....there will still be times when you are advised to STAY OFF the road unless it is an EMERGENCY....do you really want to risk an accident ON A MAIN ROAD that could prevent an emergency vehicle from getting thru to someone GOD FORBID having a heart attack. Locals DO NOT LOL at snow and ice....they RESPECT it. What the heck do your days of football and Beetles have to do w/ life in the mountains???? Francois is correct, we are trying to not only point out things for your OWN safety but for the safety of OTHERS....the safety of EMS ON CALL for people who LOL at the weather...I'm being harsh but honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
gee I'm sorry I upset people. I am not worried. I appreciate the fact that some of you are. I was born in and lived in Maine - they have mountains too.

Thanks for the concern everyone but please don't worry for me. No need to be harsh because we disagree. I love this house and believe it is the best we have seen.

We went into a nearby development called Pinnacle something and the roads were WAY too steep. Another place called Blackberry Ridge had 2 or 3 houses we liked - but again, too steep. I'm not stupid and I'm not ignoring advice but where this house is located is NOT a worry for me in snow or rain or dead of night.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 PM

442 posts, read 1,508,948 times
Guy - If you were able to make it up that driveway in a two-wheel drive Camry with some snow - then it's not really that steep!!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ Well said. I have a 4WD V8 Toyota 4Runner, which is a fantastic truck for all kinds of conditions, and there are a few roads that even it can't drive up around here when it ices. That does not look like one of them, however. If a Camry can do it, how bad can it be? It doesn't look too steep in the picture, really. I am envious of you to be in a position to buy a place up there, it is really beautiful. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
*shrug* No, ice isn't always all that bad, either, if you know how to deal with it. Oh, it CAN be bad now and then, but to say " No one can drive on ice, and they are fools if they try to" proves my point that it is lack of experience that causes the fear. I drove on ice in Maine and Michigan for many years. alked on it, skated on it, played football on it (LOL). Michigan is great for the freeze-thaw-freeze weather to which you refer.

IF it gets so bad I cannot drive on it, I would stay home, of course. But I am not worried about it.

Seriously Guy, do what you want, but trying to drive on steep mountain roads when they have iced over will get you in big trouble.

Right now natives reading your post are laughing at you! Sorry

Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM

34 posts, read 72,396 times
Hi John!

House looks awesome and so mountain-y. Not that you asked, but I'd side with missus. Heck, I'd be frightened to walk down that drive ... in sunlight ... in my hiking boots ... with stick-um on the soles.

I'm still looking too. I like Royal Pines in Arden. Lots of trees and nearby barbeque!

Best,
Marjorie

Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Seriously Guy, do what you want, but trying to drive on steep mountain roads when they have iced over will get you in big trouble.

Right now natives reading your post are laughing at you! Sorry
Maybe. But I'm not buying for them. I will do what we want (wife and I together). And there ain't gonna be no "I told yer so" coming my way.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Well said. I have a 4WD V8 Toyota 4Runner, which is a fantastic truck for all kinds of conditions, and there are a few roads that even it can't drive up around here when it ices. That does not look like one of them, however. If a Camry can do it, how bad can it be? It doesn't look too steep in the picture, really. I am envious of you to be in a position to buy a place up there, it is really beautiful. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Thank you. I'm sure we'll be happy whatever we get - but it won't be in a city near a barbecue.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ Why not? You don't like barbecue? :gasp:

Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Why not? You don't like barbecue? :gasp:
No. We're pescetarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina