Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

as a future visitor to ND this summer, I have heard that Williston is going through an economic boom right now due to the energy industry. Is that still true? I have heard that the natural landscape of the Dakotas was spectacular, but I also would love to see proof of the economic success of these states recently and from what it sounds like, Williston would be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Have you looked at any of the other threads? You might want to do that.

You'll see that there is a tremendous amount of growth, as in they can't hire enough construction workers to build housing fast enough. That alone says a lot.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 AM

25 posts, read 71,389 times
Williston is an amazing place with tons of opportunities. And I say this in March. It will be CRAZY come "Spring".

Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Williston probably has the healthiest economy of any city in the United States (excluding enclaves for multimillionaires). However, good luck finding a place to live and good luck finding one where the rental costs won't consume (all of or more than) your increased income margin.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 AM

37 posts, read 63,933 times
Depending on your skill sets, housing can be readily acquired through the hiring company and or subsidized. Seen more proof of this in ads last few mnths than ever. Even beginner laborers have options now. Many parks are actually advertizing vacancies, another few weeks, and several humongous modular home parks are said to be coming online. There are signs out on the street corners with for rent apts,rooms,.etc..just heard personally from a rental agent in Minot there will be a unofficial rent freeze for atleast a yr or more....in the past, you have probably seen how fast a housing development can rise from the dirt? Well, there is just that ready to happen in a hundred places around the western half of 'da'bakken'. Dickinson is one of the last little worn out dirt burgs that still has a good 6mnths or more before it gets some real housing breathing room. The one thing about all these places, not a one ever had any real economic breathing room until recent, so there was never really much left to start with. Kinda take it from there. And thats probably the single clearest reason why its so hard to stay here for long, only area seen more run down and worn might have been rural western Illinois.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 AM

37 posts, read 63,933 times
Natural beauty of what exactly? What? Maybe a bit on one stretch of road south of Watford City. There atleast see a bit of scrub oak and the Little Missouri's seasonal flow. But for that, no the rest looks like a landscape devoid of everything except huge industrial farmed crops, no trees except spindly looking things, the elms are pretty much long gone from dutch elm sickness. The resevoirs are even devoid of trees for the most part, hard to swallow down the man made appeal. Have no pics of here, afraid of what ugly might do to the cameras personal 'karma". I've seen where these ND promoters want to say its all in the eye of somebodies personal perception, nope you and I know better.The NW,like as in Oregon,WA, northern CA, even souther CA is beautiful in its own right, nada here, the midwest as a whole has beautiful rustic places, MN, WI, SD by the Black Hills, really people not here. Work yes! Scenically, not ever

Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrrat View Post
Natural beauty of what exactly? What? Maybe a bit on one stretch of road south of Watford City. There atleast see a bit of scrub oak and the Little Missouri's seasonal flow. But for that, no the rest looks like a landscape devoid of everything except huge industrial farmed crops, no trees except spindly looking things, the elms are pretty much long gone from dutch elm sickness. The resevoirs are even devoid of trees for the most part, hard to swallow down the man made appeal. Have no pics of here, afraid of what ugly might do to the cameras personal 'karma". I've seen where these ND promoters want to say its all in the eye of somebodies personal perception, nope you and I know better.The NW,like as in Oregon,WA, northern CA, even souther CA is beautiful in its own right, nada here, the midwest as a whole has beautiful rustic places, MN, WI, SD by the Black Hills, really people not here. Work yes! Scenically, not ever
Interesting; I was thinking that the Dakota Badlands extended from SD up to ND. Guess not. Anyway, I have friends from my time in the Navy that were from North Dakota and they have all said that the western part of the state (including Williston) was naturally scenic for the great plains (i.e. much more scenic than Kansas or Nebraska). Of course, being that I have been to CA, OR, and WA, those areas are amazing in their own right.

Anyhow, it is good to see cities in the far northern regions of the Midwest doing well. These are often areas that get overlooked.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Have you looked at any of the other threads? You might want to do that.

You'll see that there is a tremendous amount of growth, as in they can't hire enough construction workers to build housing fast enough. That alone says a lot.
I just did. By the way, how are some of those towns in Wyoming doing that had a recent spike in natural gas fracking? I heard that Green River and Gillette were doing well. Is that still the case?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I just did. By the way, how are some of those towns in Wyoming doing that had a recent spike in natural gas fracking? I heard that Green River and Gillette were doing well. Is that still the case?
They are doing great, but you won't find a "Boom" going on. Wyoming limits well permits so that it does not put undo stress on any town or groups of towns. As such, you see a much more calm approach to getting the gas out of the ground.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Interesting; I was thinking that the Dakota Badlands extended from SD up to ND. Guess not. Anyway, I have friends from my time in the Navy that were from North Dakota and they have all said that the western part of the state (including Williston) was naturally scenic for the great plains (i.e. much more scenic than Kansas or Nebraska). Of course, being that I have been to CA, OR, and WA, those areas are amazing in their own right.

Anyhow, it is good to see cities in the far northern regions of the Midwest doing well. These are often areas that get overlooked.
Everyone has a right to their opinion.....Here's mine. Yes....There is natural beauty in North Dakota.....Sullied currently by oil field operations and the traffic issues to be sure. Anyone saying N.D., especially in the Western part is devoid of any natural beauty hasn't been here, or hasn't driven out of the oil patch far enough to observe it. IMO it Puts new meaning to the words "adding insult to injury" to witness folks who are only here for the paycheck, insult the state feeding em. I take issue with it myself. But, there is no accounting for taste....some folks think Texas is barren too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston