Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM

180 posts, read 313,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
The oil isn't going to be drying up soon. There is still a couple decades left of drilling, and once the 50,000 + planned wells have been drilled out (in a couple decades) there will be another couple decades of servicing the producing wells. You and myself will probably be dead before the oil dries up, so guess it isn't much of an issue for you or myself to worry about. Williston is and has been the oil service town for the Williston Basin since the 50's. After the last 2 booms and busts, oil service companies continued to operate "scaled back" oil companies in Williston. This boom will eventually slow down, but all indications are pointing that won't be for decades. Even during the bust cycles, Williston still survived.
This. According to what I've read, as an outsider researching into the possibility of moving to ND for work, the oil should be around for decades, though one article put the peak of the boom at 2015. At roughly mid-century, western ND will look like an apocalyptic wasteland, accompanied with zombies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,184,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
This. According to what I've read, as an outsider researching into the possibility of moving to ND for work, the oil should be around for decades, though one article put the peak of the boom at 2015. At roughly mid-century, western ND will look like an apocalyptic wasteland, accompanied with zombies.
Do you remember where you saw that article?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 19,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
They will export the zombies as food (Soylent Green) and ND will continue with the boom. From oil to zombies.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,278,002 times
It was '68 or '69 when Atlantic-Richfield struck oil on the North Slope, followed by a mad dash to drill it. Forty+ years later and it's still producing lots of oil. But sadly it will come to an end, probably by mid-century. It won't be an abrupt ending, as drilling is likely to start slowly tapering off in the next few years, but it will leave behind some sad looking remnants of the big boom.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,283,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If they have the time to build up Williston and bring in jobs, education, etc. they will survive after oil companies move on, although the money will be scaled back. I personally think the only surviving chance that town has is to bring in a University, and have that drive the small market it will have once everything else is gone.
Williston State college is part of the N.D. university system. This oil play is predicted to be lasting for at least a few more decades. Williston was a town before this boom....it will still be a town. Maybe a town where you can get a really good deal on a very nice home......But, I dont see it happening like the 80's....not with this one. There are a couple more fields below the one at play now...Some into MT.

I think the places that will be most hurt would be the very small towns that do not have the shops and commerce. There are many towns in MT that are realizing lots of growth related to this boom.

What do you think will happen to those communities. Plentywood, and Sydney have the hospitals...many other smaller towns have no commerce?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM

746 posts, read 1,732,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Williston State college is part of the N.D. university system. This oil play is predicted to be lasting for at least a few more decades. Williston was a town before this boom....it will still be a town. Maybe a town where you can get a really good deal on a very nice home......But, I dont see it happening like the 80's....not with this one. There are a couple more fields below the one at play now...Some into MT.

I think the places that will be most hurt would be the very small towns that do not have the shops and commerce. There are many towns in MT that are realizing lots of growth related to this boom.

What do you think will happen to those communities. Plentywood, and Sydney have the hospitals...many other smaller towns have no commerce?
Under the wisdom of the 80's and 90's, WIlliston was done for, as was Minot and Dickinson. Technology improves. Knowledge of geology changes. The Bakken is only in the 2nd inning, but people here are talking about it drying up? Just like they been talking about Midland and Odessa in Texas drying up for the past 80 years, but there is more oil than ever coming out of there. Oil companies that are successful are stating the Bakken will have four times the output that the government says.

So there isn't a Three Forks (indication it will be bigger than Bakken)?
There is no Tyler formation?
There is no way for enhanced recovery in the Bakken?
There is no potassium in the Bakken?
There are no enhanced crops for the Williston area? Like canola, beans, chickpeas?

Memphis isn't surviving today because of riverboat and cotton traffic: it's all about Federal Express. Same with Louisville because of UPS. If Memphis depended up jobs from 80 years ago, it would effectively be a ghost town. There isn't a town today in the US which has anywhere near the type of jobs and pay that existed 80 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston