Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times

Advertisements

Thanks to our blue-green political buracracy, Wisconsin residents can no longer use dish washing detergents that contain more than .03 percent phosphate. Just in case you thought your dishwasher was broken (like I did) because now glasses actually come out spottier than when they go in. While the rest of the country continues to use phosates, we here in Wisconsin can wave oour green flags proudly...not that any of our elected officials asked us first. Guess we're not responsible enough to decide for ourselves....sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM

365 posts, read 779,493 times
Look on the bright side... you're in Wisconsin and can have some cheese to go with you whine.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Method Smarty Tabs from Target. Consumer Reports featured phosphate free dish washer detergents several month ago, and this was the only one they found to really work right now. I've used it and can vouch for their effectiveness. Wisconsin is a curious state. It took forever to push a smoking ban through, but they are on the leading edge of the phosphate movement.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
So your upset because Wisconsin is concerned about its water ? Its those dange concerned beaurocrats that worry about clean/non polluted water?
Most areas of the country should be so lucky.

Your glasses are spotty?
How about some good ol' elbow grease ?

Just being snarky, but really, I would think people would be behind anything that keeps a state with allllll that water on check.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
If we need to scrub our dishes clean what's the point of having a dishwasher?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM

164 posts, read 559,282 times
Minnesota did the same thing last year or the year before...when I noticed it, I stocked up on the remaining stock that still contained phosphate, which is now all gone. I wonder if its against the rules to buy the kind with phosphate in another state when you're traveling? I remember my grandparents talking about how they would purchase margarine when they were in Illinois to bring back to WI.
Yes, I care about the water, but it should be a personal consumer choice not regulated by the government. I can't wait for the lightbulb regulation to take effect.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Really? Your glasses have spots?! OMG! It is the end of the world! How dare they! Spots! Spots! SPOTS!!!! I imagine you can't even drink out of them now!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Some of it probably depends on the water quality. I usually scrape and rinse the dishes lightly before they are put into the dishwasher. I also do not use any detergent in the second wash (the covered compartment), instead I put extra in the first wash. No hot dry either; I crack the door instead. Before I started doing these things my glasses looked like they had a gray film on them. Now they are completely clean. No spots, no film, nothing. I have unknowingly used phosphate free detergent for years, because that's usually what is available at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM

113 posts, read 309,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
Yes, I care about the water, but it should be a personal consumer choice not regulated by the government.
I am normally for minimal government interference in my life, but isn't this sort of thing the government is for. If left to their own devices people will not do what's best for the good in this situation. So even if you decide you want clean water and make the choice to be phospahte free, if matters for naught because what your neighbors do affects the water you drink. You can disagree with whether the law is necessary or effective, but it is certainly not a "personal" choice

Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

164 posts, read 559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
I am normally for minimal government interference in my life, but isn't this sort of thing the government is for. If left to their own devices people will not do what's best for the good in this situation. So even if you decide you want clean water and make the choice to be phospahte free, if matters for naught because what your neighbors do affects the water you drink. You can disagree with whether the law is necessary or effective, but it is certainly not a "personal" choice
Do you just wait for me to post something so you can automatically disagree? The founding fathers would laugh if they saw the level of government meddling in our daily, PERSONAL lives today. Keep your laws off my dishwasher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: