Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 176,611 times

Advertisements

Greetings from a new member from the Pittsburgh area (BTW I'm not a Steelers fan)

We are relocating to the Wisconsin Rapids area this summer and I wanted to maybe get the locals' opinions on whether it is an absolute requirement for seasonal tire changes from all-seasons to pure winter tires for the majority of the winter season up in WI.

The vehicle is a late model SUV with only 2WD that has survived the winters of Pittsburgh on Goodyear Fortera TripleTred all-season tires purchased from Sam's Club.

We have never had snow tires in the past and I would not hesitate to have a set of snow tires for the safety of my family if it is an absolute necessity.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
Welcome to WI!

So, I've been driving in Wisconsin winters for 10 years and I've never really considered snow tires. I've driven front-drive cars the entire time and you'll have trouble in really bad weather, but that's to be expected.

However, my road experience is around the Milwaukee area and some winter trips on the freeway around the state, so you might have different local conditions, but I think you'll be fine with what you've got.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Most of my cars have had front wheel drive and been equipped with "all weather" tires. I have only had one spin out ever, and that was hitting black ice in my Sebring (it wasn't a great winter car). Having some type of automatic traction control with your car also helps. Of course, AWD/4WD is even better.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I wouldn't invest in snow tires, don't think you'll need them. Living in Penna, you drive in the winter time not really going to be an issue for you! I'll be surprised if you get any responses saying they think you need them!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,613 times
You don't need snow tires unless your regular tires are getting worn down. Front-wheel drive is more important. Do expect the snow and cold to be a lot more severe than Pittsburgh, however.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM

374 posts, read 982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Most of my cars have had front wheel drive and been equipped with "all weather" tires. I have only had one spin out ever, and that was hitting black ice in my Sebring (it wasn't a great winter car). Having some type of automatic traction control with your car also helps. Of course, AWD/4WD is even better.
I agree with the automatic traction control! Also anti-lock brakes.

I have a Jeep Wrangler without anti-lock brakes and have to carefully pump them on slick roads when stopping. I have Firestone Destination ATs that have done well, particularly in fresh snow. I understand that BFG Radial ATs are even better.

My wife's car is a Saturn with both traction control and anti-locks and it has Michelin HydroEdge. It only has problems if the snow is deeper than 3" and only because of clearance.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
You don't "need" winter tires as long as you live in a municipality that clears off its streets and you don't do a lot of driving on rural roads. State highways and most main county highways are cleared off pretty quickly after a snowfall.

However, winter tires do improve traction not just for pulling away from a stop, but also for better turning response and especially shorter braking distances. All-seasons are adequate, but winter tires use a softer compound that maintains its pliability at lower temperatures better than all-seasons do. that means they provide improved grip not just in snow, but on dry pavement too when it's cold out.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Having snow tires couldn't hurt, but aren't an absolute necessity if you're vehicle does okay to begin with.
Anti-lock brakes are a must. We're planning on trading our non-anti-lock vehicle in on one that has it.
4 wheel drive is okay, but all wheel drive or some sort of 4wd that has automatic engagement is best.
Our good winter car is a Subaru. Never spins out. Never gets stuck. I've tried to spin out or get stuck in the thing, but it just won't do it. I'll keep trying.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Related question--I didn't want to open a new post.

I haven't been to that area in a LONG time (25 years), if I were to go the first week of October, how likely is snow? I've never driven in snow, and don't want to learn now.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Related question--I didn't want to open a new post.

I haven't been to that area in a LONG time (25 years), if I were to go the first week of October, how likely is snow? I've never driven in snow, and don't want to learn now.
First week in October it is likely to be in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin