Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times

Advertisements

Awww, you're welcome. Thanks for the friend request!
I try to answer when I can, but it seems there are more questions about the southern part of the state- that I don't know that much about.
Glad you have found some other helpful people from other states, too. Do you know anything about Washington (state) by chance?

I sure don't know anything about Washington, sorry.
California I do...that's close. LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times
From Green Bay you might want to travel instead down I-43 toward Two Rivers and Manitowoc and see the Lake Michigan coastline. Lots of nice farms with Holsteins in Manitowoc County. Could also take the SS Badger carferry to Ludington MI and avoid the not-so-nice drive around Chicago. Lots of farm markets on Saturdays throughout the state.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 PM

We are coming from our vaca in MI. We starting out with our first stay in South Haven. Were driving up to Leland, Traverse City, Petoskey across the Mackinac Bridge all the way up to the UP to Whitefissh point.
Then coming across MI headed West to Wisconsin.
Wisconsin headed South thru IL & MO...

We'll be coming out of MI at Menominee & Marinette, WI.
i thought we would drive the 41 down thru Green Bay thru Oshgosh .
Not sure what highway to take looking at a map ... headed towards Madison. maybe the 151 (???).
Then taking the 39/90 into Il

I have to see some Holsteins.
We LOVE farmers markets...
Thank you for your help, alle.
I really appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times
You can take 151 from Madison all the way east to Manitowoc. You should see plenty of Holsteins! Not sure where you live and want to end up, but still recommend that you take the carferry back across Lake Michigan and then head south. It's a lovely 4-hr. ride and avoids the Chicago congestion.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks, but no can do.
We would be back tracking back to MI & we need to go SW.
Still hope to see the beloved Holsteins, tho.

Are there any good places to stop the way I posted earlier that sell the cheese ?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Madison has a great farmers market on Saturday... hard to describe everything... "if you can't find it you don't need it" farmers market. I wish I could help you on your travels but no doubt you'll find "Cheese"... you can buy it everywhere. Most of the larger farm stands that have refrigeration will have some type of local cheeses... "stop and smell the roses" I always say at the local small towns.. sometimes homemade jams, jellies, apple butter... yummm... Holsteins... GEEZ... are you kidding me?? you will see so many it's like buffalo at yellowstone LOL...

I wish I knew the Oshkosh area more but I'm sure someone will come along to help out... when it's nice many Wisconsonites are outdoors enjoying the recreation (at least me )... safe trip

Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM

naturesdreams...

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

We live in the country & there are cows around us. Even some Holsteins by a dairy farm near us.
I just LOVE cows... but especially Holsteins...

Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 AM

437 posts, read 815,957 times
Too bad you don't have more time to visit the House on the Rock. Awesome place!

House on the Rock - The Resort l The Attraction l The Inn

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM

114 posts, read 325,907 times
How no one has suggested driving to / through New Holstein, WI to this person is beyond me. Take Hwy 57 south from Green Bay through Chilton, New Holstein, Kiel, etc. I have to imagine you'd want to get a picture of yourself in front of the New Holstein sign coming into town. They might not be around anymore, but I remember that there at least used to be one or two big cow statues along the road on that route as well. There are probably more cattle than people in that area.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
If you're going through on a weekend, watch for little towns that have a Corn Roast going on. In late summer, all the surplus corn not delivered to canneries goes to a festival in a cannery town (i.e., almost every town from Sheboygan to Beloit)---all the corn you can eat, free, with a polka band and a generally festive atmosphere. Hard to pin down dates, depends on the timing of the harvest. You might have to ask around, because it's impossible to schedule them far in advance.

It's a fairly short drive from Marinette to the Illinois line, so it'll go by really fast on the Inerstate. So get the state highway map at the state line, and zigzag your way through on the Lettered highways. Nice scenic back roads, see all the little towns and plenty of holstiens.

Waupun can be an interesting stop. The Horicon Marsh, just east of Waupun on Rt-49 is an interesting stop with a great nature trail, but too early in the year for the huge flocks of geese. Look at the State Prison in Waupun, too, its over 160 years old, in the original building, built of local stone. See the "End of the Trail" statue, and other sculptures, in Waupun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin