Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Monroe so I looked it up on the map and it looks like it is too far from Madison to give much thought to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 AM

164 posts, read 559,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed the Dorf Haus.....believe it or not, I'm actually the guy who makes the german potato salad....I work there Thur and Fri evenings. I'd like the tweak the recipe slightly but the owners and customers it seems enjoy it the way it is....
That's cool! What's the secret to their sauerbraten? No matter how I make it, it's still tougher than how they make it at the Dorf Haus. Is it the cut of beef?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Hello,
I am interviewing for a position in the Madison area on Thursday. I've been a Badger fan all my life because I attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison. However, in business, this position will require a sales territory between Milwaukee and Madison. I need to be closer to Madison than Milwaukee in order to go into the company several times per week. Can anyone recommend a few good communities which are quiet and very nice outside of Madison on the East side? Do I look into Janesville or is that too far East? Should I consider Sun Prairie? Not sure where to look. I would need to find a new apartment by July 1st in one of these areas. Or should I just live on the East side of Madison?
Many thanks for your help!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsona10 View Post
Hello,
I am interviewing for a position in the Madison area on Thursday. I've been a Badger fan all my life because I attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison. However, in business, this position will require a sales territory between Milwaukee and Madison. I need to be closer to Madison than Milwaukee in order to go into the company several times per week. Can anyone recommend a few good communities which are quiet and very nice outside of Madison on the East side? Do I look into Janesville or is that too far East? Should I consider Sun Prairie? Not sure where to look. I would need to find a new apartment by July 1st in one of these areas. Or should I just live on the East side of Madison?
Many thanks for your help!
If you intend to avail yourself of Madison's various amenities, Janesville seems a little far afield. Plus there's just not much going on in Janesville itself.

If you're looking for a nice community between Milwaukee and Madison leaning closer to the latter, the ideal place to start looking would be Lake Mills.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Apparently even the weather in Monroe is worse than Madison!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Apparently even the weather in Monroe is worse than Madison!
I laughed at that too!
I spent part of my childhood on Monroe though and frankly, I have to agree with the post on most other things.

That town was about 10K in population when I lived there in the 70's and I think it is still about 10k today.
(Probably 9800 are the same folks too.)

Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
I have a few relatives there, and outside of the cheese fest, you're probably right. It's no worse than Stoughton or other towns of similar size in the area as far as I can tell, though.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
True but Stoughton has the major benefit of being within minutes of Madison and all that Madison has to offer. I could live in Stoughton; I don't think I could live in Monroe. I like Monroe and it has its charms, but as someone who grew up around 9 million people I just don't think I could live in the relative isolation of that particular location unless I were offered the career opportunity of a lifetime there or something.

If Stoughton and Monroe switched places, then I would come to greatly prefer Monroe to Stoughton as a place to settle down.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Your best bet is to be in one of the many communities JUST off the Interstate between madison and Milwaukee. Look at Cottage Grove, Marshall, Deerfield, Lake Mills, Johnson Creek, Oconomowoc, Delafield...
Cheapest are going to be Deerfield and Marshall, and they're very close to the interstate. Lake Mills is the nicest and even closer to the interstate. As in in the town. Johnson Creek has some nice development out by the interstate, but the old downtown is horrid. Once you get to Oconomowoc and Delafield prices are going to be higher.
Jefferson is a nice town, bigger than Deerfield/Marshall/J.Creek, but further off the I.
Watertown? Ick.
Stoughton and McFarland are too far from Milwaukee, IMHO.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM

86 posts, read 138,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
It looks like we would need to be further out, a $100k for a couple acres would not be good on our budget... I know the WI property taxes can vary from one location to another fairly quick.
Dane county has one of the highest tax rates in the nation...and with the county board, it'll only get worse, so anyone wanting to retire in dane county should seriously have their noggin examined.

Your kids are only a two year gig left, so I'd not mortgage your life/retirement on their desires. If they really want to live in madison, they can rent an apt there and both parties will be better off.

NE, E and S of madison is flatland, boring IMO. I"d go north, NW, or west. There are new communities in those areas.

You (and everyone else) should check their tax/school district they are considering moving to because one house can have double the taxes as another one, but be in the same city/town. And some towns themselves have exceedingly high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin