Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM

21 posts, read 90,107 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring in a year, so we're investigating possible areas for relocation. We're currently in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and looking for someplace that is less growth oriented, less hot and humid in the summer, and without the bugs (chiggers and ticks, especially)! He lived in MN for 30 years, and I've lived in both OR and MA, so we're familiar with the cold winters. His kids live in Twin Cities area, and suggested Wisconsin Dells as a possibility, since it's a touristy area. I've got quite a few working years left, and have been licensed here for about 14 years as a massage therapist. I've found quite a few spas on-line in WD so think it might be a good fit.

We'll check the area out ourselves this summer, but I do have some other questions. We'd like to live in a small town where we could either walk or ride on bike paths to downtown. Other "ideals" would include the following: a good library, a coffee shop, a decent gym, diversity of restaurants (we're both vegetarians), and a good pub! We both really enjoy the outdoors (hiking, motorcycling, bicycling, camping, etc), so lots of green space/bike paths/walking paths would be appreciated. And, we're both very liberal/progressive in politics, etc. Does Wisconsin Dells sound like a good fit? Are there other areas that might suit us better?

We prefer a town on a river or lake, and prefer lots of trees and rolling hills as opposed to prairieland...and also desire a small town within an hour or so of a larger city (for shopping/ cultural activities, etc).
Thanks for any and all responses/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I'd suggest Sauk City or Prairie du Chien. It's not too far from the Dells for its various entertainment options or whatever part of it being tourist-y you find appealing. It also serves as a good launching point to many of the state's parks, bike paths and recreational areas, such as Devil's Lake State Park, Lake Wisconsin, Governor Dodge State Park, the "400" bike trail, the Military Ridge bike trail, and the Elroy-Sparta bike trail. The area around Sauk City and Prairie du Chien is unglaciated so there are plenty of nice rolling hills. The Wisconsin River flows right through the middle of both towns. Lastly, it's about a 25 minute drive to Madison where you'll be able to get your dose of shopping, cultural activities, variety of restaurants, and liberal politics.

Just be warned that while there aren't a whole lot of ticks and chiggers in this part of Wisconsin (though there are when you get up north into the Northwoods), there are some summers where the mosquito crop is so bad you have to bathe in deet to keep them from carrying you off.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info! It's not that I really like touristy areas (we live near Branson and I hate that area), but they typically have spas/resorts that provide employment for me as a massage therapist! Anyway, I'll check out both of those towns...they sound like definite possibilities.

Also, having never experienced WI in the summers, how humid are they? The mosquitos were a concern for me, but my husband (who lived in MN) said most towns up there spray each summer...is that not true in WI? Finally, one reason we're looking at WI is because the real estate is so reasonably priced...you can still find a nice home for under 200K...plus we'd still be fairly close to our kids.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Summers can be pretty humid, but they obviously they are a lot more mild than where you're at now. High humidity just doesn't mean much when it's only 82 degrees out. You'll have a few days in the 90s in the summer, but it won't be day after day after day like it is down south. (On the flipside, you'll also have days in the summer where temperatures struggle to make it into the 70s.) Finally, mosquito abatement can only accomplish so much. Some years are worse than others; it depends a lot on the amount of precipitation the area gets in late spring.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
I would also suggest Baraboo, which isn't far from the other towns suggested. It's also very close to Devil's Lake State Park, has some great cafes, coffee shop, etc. It's the county seat for Sauk County. There are several lakes (Devil's, Wisconsin, Delton, Redstone, Mirror) and rivers (Baraboo and Wisconsin) within the area.

WI Dells is pretty jam packed during the summer, but if you go out of town just a bit, there are many smaller communities that have alot to offer.

You might also want to consider Portage or Mount Horeb.

As was already mentioned, the whole area around the Dells is beautiful rolling hills and old rock formations.

It's a great area with lots to enjoy. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM

I think Mt. Horeb is a little too far from the Dells or similar place for her needs; remember she's looking to be near a rather tourist-y place because that's her best bet at putting her profession to good use. I don't think Mt. Horeb gets the kind and volume of tourism she's looking for.

Baraboo and Portage are also pretty good choices to consider, all three (Baraboo, Portage, and Sauk City/Prairie du Chien) are in the same general area and close to the Dells. There's also distance from Madison to consider for the OP's other stated needs which is why I was particularly focused on Sauk City/Prairie du Chien. Baraboo and particularly Portage might a bit far-flung for that, though not completely out of consideration. Portage to Madison is, what, 45 minutes? Not a killer drive, but certainly more than the 20 from SC/PdC. On the flipside, Baraboo and Portage are notably closer to the Dells which may be where she ends up spending most of her time and doing most of her driving to/from so they may work out better.

So then MassDane, I hope this gives you a few options to check out.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for your suggestions...I think that anything fairly close to WI Dells would be great. One of my goals is to have less of a commute, since I'm already driving an hour each way for my current spa employment. Drover and Paige65, thanks again for your help! I appreciate the ideas and look forward to exploring my various options. I'm starting to get excited...WI sounds like a lovely state, with LOTS to do!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massdane View Post
Thanks for your suggestions...I think that anything fairly close to WI Dells would be great. One of my goals is to have less of a commute, since I'm already driving an hour each way for my current spa employment. Drover and Paige65, thanks again for your help! I appreciate the ideas and look forward to exploring my various options. I'm starting to get excited...WI sounds like a lovely state, with LOTS to do!
I'm not a resident, but it IS a lovely state. We have a home in the area and I love spending time there in every season. There's so much to enjoy.

I'll rescind by Mt. Horeb recommendation. Though it meets most of your criteria, it is not close to WD. There are a few day spas in the area so there may be opportunities there in your line of work, but you're correct in that WD is a better bet for more career options.

Portage and Baraboo will be closer for you, commute-wise, if you end up working in WD, however, as Drover stated, Sauk City and Prairie Du Chien are closer to Madison. All of the cities, however, are within your one hour preference. It's about 45-50 minutes from Baraboo to Madison area and about 40-45 from Portage. Obviously, depends upon where you end up going in Madison, so getting to the heart of downtown Madison will take you a bit longer. The airport is on the north side though, which is nice. It'a also less than three hours to Chicago and about two to Milwaukee, which gives you a lot of options for get away weekends.

Hope you find a great place and job!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM

I have another question...have been looking at the map, and the only Prairie du Chien that I can find is way over near the MN border, south of La Crosse. I did find a Prairie du Sauk near WI Dells. Is that what you're talking about?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Sorry, I meant Prairie du Sac, which is right next to Sauk City. That general area is also collectively referred to as Sauk Prairie.

There is no Prarie du Sauk as far as I know, though it's pretty much the same thing (Sac and Sauk being the French and English names, respectively, for the same Indian tribe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin