Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM

432 posts, read 544,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Green Bay's problem is that the culture is dominated by family-obsessed, penny-pinching baby boomers to the exclusion of anyone under the age of 50 who doesn't fit the All-American jock/redneck mold
wow, so much anger. milwaukee is probably the only place you'll be happy so it's probably best you stay there.

i've lived in a lot of places and note how no nonsense the people are in wi relative to their culture. it's the northern european influence i believe, german, norweigen, swiss. they're not into a lot of fluff, pizzaz and are pretty frugal in their tastes of a lot of things. it works for them as they seem happy and content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM

223 posts, read 392,052 times
^This, from a guy who is still butthurt about how all the evil "leftists" in Madison treated him, decades after the fact.

You must be talking about a completely different Green Bay from the one I'm very familiar with, because not only is it far from a place that I would describe as "happy," but it's lousy with tacky, Packers-related "fluff"... almost as if they gave up on being a city on their own merit and settled for being a glorified amusement park based on an NFL franchise.

Look, I would love to see Green Bay thriving and evolving, but it's not going to do that by becoming a tourist trap that's only economically viable for 10 weekends a year. Believe it or not, people come to a city of 100,000+ expecting a quality of life that's just a little different than what can be found in a typical, out of the way, Northwoods town. "Great place to raise a family" or not, no one who's actually seeking that type of environment is going to choose a place like Green Bay over an actual small town.

There's a lot of young, educated people for whom a Milwaukee or Chicago is too big, but don't want to live in the middle of nowhere either. The sooner Green Bay realizes this, the better off it'll be; because if they don't, places like Kalamazoo and Des Moines (and to a lesser extent, Appleton) will.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM

365 posts, read 780,250 times
Green Bay is doing fine. The Green Bay area keeps growing and growing. It wouldn't be doing that if it were the horrible place some folk on City Data make it out to be. It's even surpassed Madison in ethnic diversity -- yes, you heard that right. Madison has a larger percentage of white people living in their city than Green Bay does. Not that it matters to me; but, people that think Green Bay hasn't changed need to take a reality check.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
^This, from a guy who is still butthurt
you do have quite the anger issues, but it goes with the territory of the left.

Quote:
Look, I would love to see Green Bay thriving and evolving
"evolving"? into what exactly, milwaukee?

according to your UWM, the population of milwaukee city and county has been declining and best projections for the city of milwaukee is a flatline of population growth. that's only a projection mind you, milwaukee could get a lot worse.

latest census reports (08) shows over an 11% vacancy rate for housing, so not a lot of demand and remember projections are to flat line population growth for milwaukee, so they better stop building houses or the vacancy rate will increase, driving down the value of the existing housing stock all the more
Driving down the property tax revenues or increasing the property tax rates charged---or cut services even more.

but then again, with about 500 houses for sale in milwaukee between 5,000-30,000, one would think people could afford to live in them or want to move there and buy a block of them.
but the data doesn't show this is the case.

in 2010, only 44% of working age black males in milwaukee had a job.
with the black pupulation about 225K, that's not a pretty picture. and the population of whites is only about 450K, so there's quite a "social burden" on people that work there to support the people that don't work, almost half of the white population--remember this is total white population,not the working percentage...

UWM report looks at unemployment stats for black males | FOX6Now.com
http://www4.uwm.edu/ced/publications...yment_2012.pdf
http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibra.../plan/Data.pdf

like is proven if you run the numbers--milwaukee is an albatross around the necks of cheeseheads (and national taxpayers), a sponge, a large anchor. dump milwaukee into lake michigan and the numbers for wisconsin would show quite a dramatic improvement in all categories.

i think the only reason why your little affluent alcove of milwaukee is afloat is because of the UW-milwaukee. (same thing with madison, uw and state/county govt) what that means is your neighborhood's wealth comes from the taxpayers from all over wisconsin, ya know, those places outside of milwaukee and madison that you and other leftists seem to so disdain.....

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
Green Bay... It's even surpassed Madison in ethnic diversity -- yes, you heard that right.
oh the agony!!!! lol. it shouldn't surprise people as madison has always been a white college town. it was funny as they were trying so hard to get minorities to move there so they could actually have some real diversity.

whenever i drive through gb, it looks like it's growing. i chose not to live there though because i like more rural and also figured there'd be a lot of bigger city transplants. may go down there to go fishing, but definitely like the new cabelas there. that's worth a road trip alone.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,280,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
oh the agony!!!! lol. it shouldn't surprise people as madison has always been a white college town. it was funny as they were trying so hard to get minorities to move there so they could actually have some real diversity.

whenever i drive through gb, it looks like it's growing. i chose not to live there though because i like more rural and also figured there'd be a lot of bigger city transplants. may go down there to go fishing, but definitely like the new cabelas there. that's worth a road trip alone.
Wow, you havent been to Madison for several decades, then. Madison was diverse in the '70s when I went to school there, even more diverse in the '90s when I lived there. Madison attracts people from all over the country from all walks of life. Madison has never had to try hard to attract people from minority groups.

Green Bay, however, is laughably NOT diverse. Very intolerant community. And unfortunately, they not only lack vision, zoning, and leadership, but they lack quality educational facilities and the environment in the area still needs MAJOR clean up even though they have been "talking the talk" for 35 years. Even with leadership, that community is lagging far behind other communities of its size in the great lakes and midwest states.

By the way, you would be crazy to ever eat fish from the GB area, LOL!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Wow, you havent been to Madison for several decades, then. Madison was diverse in the '70s when I went to school there, even more diverse in the '90s when I lived there. Madison attracts people from all over the country from all walks of life. Madison has never had to try hard to attract people from minority groups.

Green Bay, however, is laughably NOT diverse. Very intolerant community. And unfortunately, they not only lack vision, zoning, and leadership, but they lack quality educational facilities and the environment in the area still needs MAJOR clean up even though they have been "talking the talk" for 35 years. Even with leadership, that community is lagging far behind other communities of its size in the great lakes and midwest states.

Green Bay's white population is at a lower percentile then Madison. Don't take my word for it, check the latest US Census stats LOL!

That Green Bay has no diversity is just another Green Bay haters lie. That's why I don't believe anything they say.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,280,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
That Green Bay has no diversity is just another Green Bay haters lie. That's why I don't believe anything they say.
Look, I would LOVE to see GB thrive. It could be so much more than it is. But its not.

Green Bay Population (2000)
Category Count Percent
Total Population 102,313 100%
Male 50,433 49.3%
Female 51,880 50.7%
Under 18 26,032 25.4%
18+ 76,281 74.6%
65+ 12,042 11.8%
Median Age 33.2
Average Family Size 3.06
White 87,841 85.9%
African-American 1,407 1.4%
Asian 3,845 3.8%
American Indian & Alaskan 3,355 3.3%
Other 3,809 3.7%
Mixed Race 2,020 2%
Hispanic (included in categories above) 7,294 7.1%

Madison Population (2000)
Category Count Percent
Total Population 208,054 100%
Male 102,248 49.1%
Female 105,806 50.9%
Under 18 37,261 17.9%
18+ 170,793 82.1%
65+ 19,184 9.2%
Median Age 30.6
Average Family Size 2.87
White 174,689 84%
African-American 12,155 5.8%
Asian 12,065 5.8%
American Indian & Alaskan 759 0.4%
Other 3,474 1.7%
Mixed Race 4,835 2.3%
Hispanic (included in categories above) 8,512 4.1%

Also, keep in mind this is census information and alot of UW Madison population is not going to be counted.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM

From US Census website. Here are more recent stats, from 2010 as opposed to the ones you posted from 2000. Notice the change in demographics.

Green Bay

Population, 2010 104,057
White alone, percent, 2010 77.9%
Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 3.5%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, 2010 4.1%
Asian alone, percent, 2010 4.0%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, 2010 0.1%
Two or More Races, percent, 2010 3.1%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 13.4%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 73.3%
Green Bay (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Madison
Population, 2010 233,337
White alone, percent, 2010 78.9%
Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 7.3%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, 2010 0.4%
Asian alone, percent, 2010 7.4%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, 2010 Z
Two or More Races, percent, 2010 3.1%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 6.8%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 75.7%
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/55/5548000.html

No need for you to LOVE to see Green Bay thrive. Green Bay is fine.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Green Bay, Very intolerant community.
on what do you base this? i view madison as very intolerant and have stated the reasons why, but basically it's a flaming liberal college town, so leftist dominates...."period". are you saying green bay is very intolerant because.........?

Quote:
i mostly throw the fish back, but if i get a good sized walleye i'll keep it and eat it. can eat one of those a week. cleaning them is too much work for me unless it's a big, good eating one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin