Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 26,497 times

Advertisements

greetings cheesehead's

I am thinking of moving from Southern California to a small town somewhere in Wisconsin does anybody have any ideas what would be a good small town and why and how I would go about trying to find rooms for rent I am on a fixed income of Social Security disability I tried looking in craigslist but small towns are kinda of tough to find rooms for rent listed

so if you have any ideas any help would be appreciated

thanx

john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Hi John,

You might like the village of Winneconne. It's a super friendly place.
If you Google, "Winneconne rentals," you will find quite a few listings. There might even be houses that would fit into your budget. Rent is much cheaper here than in CA, generally speaking.

Try Zillow and Trulia for rental listings. They have a more comprehensive list and are generally safer than craigslist.

Oshkosh, Omro, Berlin, Fond du Lac, Eden, and Waupaca might be up your alley, as well.
Let's see... Redgranite, Wautoma, Green Lake, and Ripon are other smaller towns to consider.
Oshkosh and Fond du Lac are larger than the rest I've listed, but still not overly huge.

Best of luck to you. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM

squirrels thank you so much I appreciate you taking the time to writing all that down

i crack open a peanut -- here's toast in your honor

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
How about some information to narrow your search? Define small town, please. Many communities in WI are small enough to be unincorporated (no population published) or our definition of small town may be different than yours.

What do you need to have nearby? Medical facilities, grocery stores, entertainment?
Prefer farm country, river town on the Mississippi, or northwoods forest environment?
Tourist town? Suburb?
What type of budget are you looking for? Have you looked at airbnb listings?

Many options to consider but cannot advise without some better idea of what you are after...

Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 PM

true a small town could also be interputed as 100,000 midget's

however something similar to Mayberry RFD would suffice as my definition of a small town

all the basic amenities would be fine I'm working with the budget only about a thousand dollars a month

a farm town sounds about right

this inspired me many years ago when I met actor don knott's

and asked him if " he had change for a fife "

he started to search his pockets and then quickly realized it was a joke and sarcastically retorted with

" very funny " rolled his eyes and smiled and walked away

Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
OP, i'd add to consider if any medical care is required; to keep that in mind when looking around WI. There are countless small towns that could make your list, but if one needs routine dr visits (as an example) i'd suggest keeping within a reasonable distance from the hospital or clinic system that would be used.
Because always remember up here in winter, a drive can easily double when the white stuff flies.

Which leads me to another point; i'd stay more in-town rather then out in a rural setting. Can still keep a small town feel but tough to deal with less amenities when harsh weather arrives. You mentioned fixed income: then don't stay in a home that requires LP over natural gas, again just as an example as LP's price spikes could wreak havoc on a fixed income.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:03 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaveniscallingrsvp View Post
squirrels thank you so much I appreciate you taking the time to writing all that down

i crack open a peanut -- here's toast in your honor

Why, thank you for the peanut toast, sir.

Check out Omro, Heaveniscalling...there are medical facilities, lots of apartments that fall into your price range, and it's a small, welcoming community. Same with Winneconne.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM

you're most welcome to squirrels it's a matter of fact I'm about ready to throw a Carl's Jr french fry to0 one

that sounds like an interesting little community will check it out thank you again for the info

Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 PM

ps ranger thanx for your input as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin