Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

Finally, consider that those magical end of summer days that you get in Wisconsin can be counted on one hand, and are, in fact, enjoyed for months in other parts of the country. One of those famous platitudes that Wisconsinites love to regurgitate is, "that first beautiful day in April (or May or June some years) makes the whole winter worthwhile". But it actually doesn't make anything worthwhile; it's just the perspective of people who have so much bad weather that getting outside for 2 hours on a 70 degree day is practically intoxicating. Then it's back to 2 more months of rain and cold temperatures.

I'm not trying to bash Wisconsin, but nice weather is a flash in the pan up there.
Yes, that's why we appreciate the change of seasons. 80 degree weather every day, what a yawn. I PREFER a change of season & I PREFER to see the happiness in people when winter leaves & spring comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Finally, consider that those magical end of summer days that you get in Wisconsin can be counted on one hand, and are, in fact, enjoyed for months in other parts of the country. One of those famous platitudes that Wisconsinites love to regurgitate is, "that first beautiful day in April (or May or June some years) makes the whole winter worthwhile". But it actually doesn't make anything worthwhile; it's just the perspective of people who have so much bad weather that getting outside for 2 hours on a 70 degree day is practically intoxicating. Then it's back to 2 more months of rain and cold temperatures.

I'm not trying to bash Wisconsin, but nice weather is a flash in the pan up there.
I'll agree that the climate here does funny things to our brains. But I'll tell you, after spending most of my life here, I think I am ruined for other climates. I've moved somewhere warmer, and found myself terribly depressed when there weren't violent thunderstorms in the spring, when the locals' idea of cool fall temperatures still felt like summer to me, when there was no snow and sun, just dreary greyness, in the winter. I think those of us who love it here usually love the beginning of every season intensely, and then quickly tire of it and are ready to move on to the next.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:43 AM

404 posts, read 480,762 times
It's the cold for me. Starting 3 years ago I lost 100 lbs. which meant I went from constantly over heated to perpetually cold. But really, you just can't beat summer in Wisconsin. Also, there are lots of beautiful places to live within the US, but here in the driftless area is as nice as anyplace I've ever seen.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
It's the cold for me. Starting 3 years ago I lost 100 lbs. which meant I went from constantly over heated to perpetually cold. But really, you just can't beat summer in Wisconsin. Also, there are lots of beautiful places to live within the US, but here in the driftless area is as nice as anyplace I've ever seen.

It is. It is where I would like to retire too, if I'm fortunate enough, someday.

Or maybe someplace like Spring Green even.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:39 AM

251 posts, read 257,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, that's why we appreciate the change of seasons. 80 degree weather every day, what a yawn. I PREFER a change of season & I PREFER to see the happiness in people when winter leaves & spring comes around.
There are options other than Wisconsin & Southern California. There are plenty of places where you can experience the changing of the seasons without having to deal with 6 to 7 months of winter weather. The winter here is like a big bully that pushes into the spring and fall.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
There are options other than Wisconsin & Southern California. There are plenty of places where you can experience the changing of the seasons without having to deal with 6 to 7 months of winter weather. The winter here is like a big bully that pushes into the spring and fall.
Except it's not 6-7 months of winter weather.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:27 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I spent the first 22 years of my life in Wisconsin then moved away. I'm about 3 years from retirement - I frequent the retirement threads here on CD.

I adore Wisconsin. A majority of family members still live there. It's "home".

But I can't live there because I've adjusted to living in the West. I just don't do Wisconsin winters anymore.

You - the OP - mention that you "just like it" there. That says a lot. Adjusting to another part of the country - whether it's AZ or FLA or wherever - there are adjustments - and they may not all be about weather.

Go with your gut.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:06 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
The only places in WI that can even get snow for that many months out of the year is far northern Wisconsin at higher elevations.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:10 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Just start researching the state's on cd. My list is: Missouri, Tennessee, & Washington state are the ones I'm concentrating on. I also may add North Carolina & Louisiana.

I still want seasons, just not drastic ones like we have, although I must say, this summer has been so good, hard to think of leaving, but that's why I want to visit in other seasons. Come winter, with howling winds & tons of snow, I may just think I should go somewhere.

Give yourself plenty of time to explore on cd.
Judging from some of the states you're considering, especially Tennessee and North Carolina, it's a good thing you are not going to let 2-3 months of awful summer weather influence your decision. Because it really is pretty dang awful!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM

251 posts, read 257,774 times
Quote:
It is not uncommon to have snow, freezing rain, and the lovely "wintry mix" in November & April (And the occasional blizzard in March during "spring break" in most of the US). Numerous Halloweens I've seen kids with winter coats on over their costumes, and coats and scarves out in April too. That's a 6 month spread. We start to think of this weather as being fall or spring weather but it's really not by most people's standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin