Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,995 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am most likely moving back to Wisconsin next year and have been living in Las Vegas for the last few years. I am originally from the Madison area but also lived in the Appleton area for a couple years. I am looking at either Green Bay or Janesville as those areas seem more in my budget for purchasing a house. I am curious about people's opinions on how they compare. I realize both are more blue-collar and industrial feeling. I like that Janesville is closer to Madison but I am worried I would end up driving to Madison constantly as Janesville seems a bit limited on stores and activities ( community events, a variety of good restaurant options, Trader Joes or similar type grocery stores). Madison is a good fit for me but the cost of living sure has gone up in all of Dane County since I last lived there. I feel like Green Bay would have more things to do but also is farther from a bigger city such as Madison or Milwaukee. Any input on how Green Bay and Janesville compare would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 02:36 PM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
I'd personally go with Janesville. Close to Lake Geneva, too.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
hi OP, are there any specific requirements for work, school if kids are involved, medical needs, etc?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Janesville. Closer to Madison and Chicago. Definitely Janesville.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,995 times
No specific requirements. I work in social services and there seem to be a few options in both areas for my field. No kids so school system is not a concern. As of now there is no need for special medical providers. Plus anything will be an improvement from the medical in Las Vegas. I am more on the liberal side and enjoy living in diverse areas. I realize both cities are probably more conservative and not as diverse as larger areas but I am assuming there are pockets that are more so than others.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 AM

747 posts, read 839,672 times
Green Bay. The further you are away from Milwaukee and Dane County the better.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
You are out of your mind.

If the person is liberal at all, avoid Janesville and much of the immediate surrounding area. GB would be better only if something slightly outside Madison or Milwaukee wasn’t affordable.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post

Yes, stay away! 100/100 professors agree that exposure to culture can seriously damage ignorance!

Old 08-22-2018, 06:26 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Political self-segregation.
I can understand not wanting to be utterly outnumbered, but we do no one any favors by avoiding opposite opinions, shouting them down, and slamming doors.
Most places, at least the sane ones, are mixed and moderate.
If it were me, I wouldn't consider politics much in either town. If I wanted to be near a big city, Janesville is closer to Chicago and Milwaukee.
Madison would never play a role in where I chose to live unless I got a job there or had family there. It's just too small and uninteresting for the big city thing, but I'll acknowledge it's quaintness to some degree.
Green Bay is nice for the water and proximity to the woods, but big enough to not feel isolated.
Being far removed from giant, busy Chicago also has it's advantages.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Political self-segregation.
I can understand not wanting to be utterly outnumbered, but we do no one any favors by avoiding opposite opinions, shouting them down, and slamming doors.
Most places, at least the sane ones, are mixed and moderate.
If it were me, I wouldn't consider politics much in either town. If I wanted to be near a big city, Janesville is closer to Chicago and Milwaukee.
Madison would never play a role in where I chose to live unless I got a job there or had family there. It's just too small and uninteresting for the big city thing, but I'll acknowledge it's quaintness to some degree.
Green Bay is nice for the water and proximity to the woods, but big enough to not feel isolated.
Being far removed from giant, busy Chicago also has it's advantages.

I can't see what advantage there is in being further removed from the one major city of the region.

Madison has grown so much it isn't funny. It's not even really just a college town anymore. It's a major cultural center now. The concerts, just for one, they get there are ridiculous for the size of the city.

And no one does gain by shutting other opinions out, but politics of a region have huge impacts on the feel of a culture and quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin