Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 81,626 times

Advertisements

My husband may be relocated to Beloit, WI from Iowa City, IA in the next 3 months. Where are the best areas to live? We have 2 girls ages 2 and 4 so we are looking for good schools, good activities for children and a safe town. We have been looking in northern, IL specifically the Poplar Grove area, because we have family there, but have not been reading favorable reviews, i.e expensive, poor schools, growing crime rates, etc. Any advice would be appreciated because we are leaving a great area with great schools, low crime and a good housing market and would like a similar area for our children. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I lived in Beloit for 50 years and still have family there...I live in Madison now. You will find a LOT of people who will say terrible things about Beloit to you. Some of it is true. But there are also a lot of good things about Beloit that the "outside world" does not know about. The beautiful riverside park with its many events, play areas, boating areas, recreational areas. Several large and lovely other parks such as Big Hills and Leason's Park. Beloit College which is a lovely liberal arts college with some fantastic professors. Some truly excellent schools...overcoming many challenges thanks to some terrific teachers. VERY cheap housing....which I really miss now that I live in Madison. Many, many nice people who are working very hard to improve the community. As far as where to live....I would look at the far east side or the far west side. The far east side is growing faster and has some very, very nice subdivisions while the far west side is more quiet and "small town" in its aspects but also has some nice homes that are really cheap and has more open space. Also, right near Beloit College are some lovely large older homes if you are looking for more historic homes. I would be glad to tell you "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" if you want to run some specific homes by me. I am an appraiser so that may help.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 116,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I lived in Beloit for 50 years and still have family there...I live in Madison now. You will find a LOT of people who will say terrible things about Beloit to you. Some of it is true. But there are also a lot of good things about Beloit that the "outside world" does not know about. The beautiful riverside park with its many events, play areas, boating areas, recreational areas. Several large and lovely other parks such as Big Hills and Leason's Park. Beloit College which is a lovely liberal arts college with some fantastic professors. Some truly excellent schools...overcoming many challenges thanks to some terrific teachers. VERY cheap housing....which I really miss now that I live in Madison. Many, many nice people who are working very hard to improve the community. As far as where to live....I would look at the far east side or the far west side. The far east side is growing faster and has some very, very nice subdivisions while the far west side is more quiet and "small town" in its aspects but also has some nice homes that are really cheap and has more open space. Also, right near Beloit College are some lovely large older homes if you are looking for more historic homes. I would be glad to tell you "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" if you want to run some specific homes by me. I am an appraiser so that may help.
Great advise, Beloit is a great city, beautiful homes on the far-east side.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
I agree...go for Beloit. Your home will double in value in 10 years time.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Seriously.......

Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 19,940 times
Are there apartment locators in Beloit. I'm relocating-- the advise given on here is great-- I'm in transition- from Houston a mecca of diversity to WI- I heard Beloit is growing in diversity and has urban appeal. (I'm secretly scared of leaving the diverse urban mecca I'm in now- but family in WI, and teacher retirement are whispering for me to return to WI) I would like to live in a safe neighborhood with some nice amenties-- I'm a teacher.

LML would love for you to contact me via private message, sounds like you know alot-- Madison was one of the other places I considered, but my job offer is in Beloit.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM

Beloit is actually pretty diverse for a small city. There are established African-American and Mexican communities. The College faculty and student body hail from dozens of states and countries which adds to the local diversity. rergarding housing, LML would be the go-to person.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 15,215 times
Default places to live in Beloit

There are quite a few homes for sale on the east side near where I live. A friend of mine has been buying and rennovating so I have seen some of what is available. Very reasonable prices, and nice neighborhoods; lots of parks; symphony season starts soon; we are close to Madison and Chicago. Just come for a day or a weekend and see what we've got. There are a lot of smaller shops going up; Cafe Belwah is a great place to have a drink and/or dine and there is a hotel in the same location with shops nearby and downtown shopping also.

My son just bought a small place! Their first (on the east side).

It's nice to be near I-90.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Well, as of a week ago Friday, I am a Beloiter again. After having lived in Madison for many years, I have bought a home on Beloit's west side and moved back to my home town. There has been so much growth and so many changes that I have been having a great time checking them all out. For one thing, I have eaten at so many new resturants this week that I'm going to have to seriously watch my diet. How nice to see my old home town coming to life again.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 45,659 times
Default Welcome

Beloit these days, like many others, is still drying out after a wetter than usual end of summer.
The big difference between Beloit and south of the border is Taxes. Real Estate taxes depend on school bonding and other issues. The State Income Tax of Wisconsin is legend...choose carefully.
Beloit has a fine river reputation, lots of fish, tremendous water skiing for the adventurous and fun cruising up river to a well mentioned sand bar.
Winter here is not like Minneapolis or Davenport. We have experienced warmer than usual winters in recent years. With Polar bears selling Windsurfer Boards to the Eskimos it is no wonder the winters are behaving a bit weird, as of late.
We do get a few big blows in the dead of Winter however. My nephew from Texas was amazed at the Noreaster that blew through here last winter.
You can cross country ski on a number of city trails through wooded creeklands, snowmobile on established rural trails, snow permitting.
Theatre abounds at Beloit College or Beloit Civic Theatre productions. The Beloit Janesville Symphony entertains the classically minded and there are head banging, grunge rocking joints here and there...
You can find everything from Gyros to Chimichangas, Standard Sicilian Pasta fare and all the Pizza you can imagine.
Fine dining can be found for that special Sirloin appetite on both sides of town.
If you make your own bread the Omish sell no nonsense flour in 5 gallon buckets or less, a few miles west of Town.
Summer brings in the Farmers Market downtown on Saturday mornings, lot's of interesting fare.
We also have a solid youth hockey program, ice rink in addition to a Minor league baseball team . Beyond that, shopping is diverse, from Big Box to Mom and Pop, all within twenty minutes of most spots in Beloit.
You can pick up a ride to Chicago in Harvard, Il on the Metra ($5 all weekend Pass) get to O,Hare or Midway by Van Galder Bus ....
Beloit College is adding a science and bio science wing to their campus as we speak...Illinois is cheaper....Beloit is sweeter, in my opinion.....come visit....judge for yourself.....ajf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin