Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times

Advertisements

Cost of Living in WI is lower than that of the National Average. Real Estate Taxes are on the high side. Wages are also going to be lower but not so much as to be insanely different.

When I first moved here I was shocked at how much lower Utility costs were and also my insurance. The cost of Housing can be lower too but one can also find some very above average accomodations in areas like Lake Country in Waukesha that are affordable and in Great Areas. Housing in Milwaukee County are lower yet. If you want to live in the Ghetto, you are in for some real savings... Don't get me wrong, I have many friends in those "bad" neighborhoods. Many good people live there and will never leave. Neighborhood bonds are strong and Family is second to none, however the criminal element is there and it's hardly a safe area.

Truth is, many of those people won't even travel out in to the suburbs for fear of racial profiling by the Local Police Departments. Some will try and say it does not happen, but it surely does.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
Well, I guess "a nice house" is a relative term, most house in my area are in the 200k plus range or were a year or so ago. I'm not sure how much the prices have dropped since then.

I would search for a newer home, five years old or less. They have six inch walls, they are well insulated, have energy efficient furnaces, double pane windows at least and you will be carefree for another ten, fifteen years or longer, other than painting if it isn't some kind of maintenance free siding.

Here is a listing for a home in a small town near us, with another three listing in Stevens Point and Plover by the same agent. Stevens Point is a college town, Plover is a suburb of Stevens Point. Amherst Junction is a tiny town about ten miles from Point.

4108 Sonday Drive, Amherst Junction, WI, 54407 - MLS ID#900548 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

And another home in the same area with a couple of other listing by the same agent.

9528 Woodland, Amherst Junction, WI, 54407 - MLS ID#902334 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9528-Woodland_Amherst-Junction_WI_54407_1107998663 - broken link)
No offense, but I would choose an enormous 100 year old mansion over some crappy newly constructed ranch house any day of the week. Those houses you posted are located on large lots ranging from 2-3 acres. That makes them much more expensive than a typical ranch house on a normal sized lot.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
Our insurance costs really dropped when we moved to WI. I am paying about half of what we did in NH.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No offense, but I would choose an enormous 100 year old mansion over some crappy newly constructed ranch house any day of the week. Those houses you posted are located on large lots ranging from 2-3 acres. That makes them much more expensive than a typical ranch house on a normal sized lot.

Everyone has their own preferences, new house or old mansion.

And as far as crappy contruction on new houses, it depends on who you have build it for you. Construction is like anything else, you get what you pay for. Plus new houses have to pass a rigid inspection, old mansions are usually grandfathered in with their outdated building techniques and services. You won't find balloon framing in any new homes.

Houses around here have lots ranging anywhere from an acre to five acres, in some townships you have to have ten acres to build. Again it's a personal preference, small lot or large lot.

MovingCrossCountry and her hubby are not obligated to buy any of the homes I posted. I posted them to give her an idea of what $200,000+ will buy around here. I'm sure she and her husband can decide for themselves if they want a new crappy constructed home or a dilapidated old mansion.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
I think personal situation means a lot more than just changing geographical area. We moved from Milwaukee area to Chicago area last year for new job.

While home cost a bit more, most costs are very similiar including property tax. Utiities are cheaper although that may be more due to a better built home. Water is downright cheap compared to WI and the car insurance went up maybe $100 bucks.

Between pay raise, better job and lower IL state income tax, we have better lifestyle here than in WI. Again, the point is that individual siutations probably drive this more than just a change in geographical location

Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I think we decided in another post that it is definitely individual situations/preferences (recalling I got blasted for saying Wisconsin was cheaper than Illinois for me)!

I am further north so my utilities are low in comparison with Illinois probably due to being in a small town versus a metropolitan area. I live in an older, small house built for factory workers, definitely no frills and no insulation in the walls, my choice. I called my former neighbor in Illinois the rate she is paying for natural gas quite a bit higher than mine.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
No doubt that utility costs are much lower here in WI than back in the northeast. Our gas and electric bill is, literally, less than half of just our heating bill alone back in Maine. Our property taxes are higher here though, and we get less for the money than we did back home. For us, it's pretty much a wash.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
We lived in an older home in both NY and NH. I love them for their charm but the one in NY we had to do major improvements to. We had to put in new windows because our heat bill was a budget breaker. Our home in NH was reinsulated and had new windows when we bought it.
We built the home we are in now. It is the 1st new home we have ever lived in. We do heat with wood so our gas bill is really cheap. We are pleased with the construction and how tight it is. No leaks.
Having lived in both types of houses, I like a new home because it is more cost efficient. But I walk into an older home and love the woodwork and the charm they have.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Well it is certainly interesting here in Madison. Still plenty of people out at restaurants. They could be living paycheck to paycheck or highly in debt but the money still seems to be changing hands freely.

We have had our fair share of businesses closing and houses sitting long periods on the market, but it seems we have a fairly strong local economy.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
We lived in an older home in both NY and NH. I love them for their charm but the one in NY we had to do major improvements to. We had to put in new windows because our heat bill was a budget breaker. Our home in NH was reinsulated and had new windows when we bought it.
We built the home we are in now. It is the 1st new home we have ever lived in. We do heat with wood so our gas bill is really cheap. We are pleased with the construction and how tight it is. No leaks.
Having lived in both types of houses, I like a new home because it is more cost efficient. But I walk into an older home and love the woodwork and the charm they have.
I've lived in older homes growing up and when we first moved to Milwaukee. Unless you invest a lot of money and time in updating them the heating and air conditioning will drain you.

Our propane bill includes cooking, water heater and dryer, runs us about eight-nine hundred a year. Electricity is between seventy and eighty a month, so it's about the same as the gas, that includes running the central air for longer than I care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin