Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I think some of you are completely missing the point. It has NOTHING to do with jealousy that's for sure. It has to do with a group of people flagrantly illustrating their lack of RESPECT. Pure and simple. One thing is for sure, I NEVER met a person from Wisconsin that wished they lived in Illinois EVER. I don't know who you're hanging out with but that hasn't been my experience. I do think it has to do very much with the population density of a given place. Indeed the guy from Milwaukee that commented a bit ago, even Milwaukee folks will have more attitude than say someone from a smaller town in Wisconsin.

Ironically even the folks from downstate Illinois don't care much for the folks with their attitudes from Chicago either. So nothing new there. When I went to college in Southern Illinois I most certainly never walked around with my nose in the air to those that lived down there either. Nor did I exhibit any big city attitude. I continued to show respect for anyone around the entire country no matter where I was or who I was interacting with. I can't say for sure but I do believe it has something to do with the younger generations displaying less and less respect for others. In my day growing up (I'm 56) If I showed disrespect to anyone I'd either get my a$$ kicked by them or my parent. Rightfully so, but those days are gone.

I guess what I"m saying is the Wisconsinites disdain for Illinois folks isn't unique as you might think. It prevails all over. The Oregonians hate Californians for Californicating their State. Southern Utahans hate the folks from Las Vegas for wanting to steal their water and on and on. It's always something. Stems from Greed and lack of Respect. 2 harbingers of hatred for sure.
I know it has alot to do with jealousy in many cases. It has been discussed on this forum many times. Not all of course. I would never generalize an entire mass group like you are attempting to do.
I dont understand what you are trying to accomplish with your post.
You really want people to believe ALL people in Chicago fit your description? And NO ONE in Wisconsin would ever want to move to Illinois,,,well we did.And certainly thousands of others.
I cant figure out why someone from Utah, old enough to know better, would come on a Midwest forum and show such a "lack of respect" and be a "harbinger of hatred" to an entire city whose residents keep many Wisconsinites in business..Just what is your point, because you never mentioned it being prevalant in other states till others did, only about hatred for CHicago. And no, you are also wrong, all of downstate Il does not hate CHicago either. I went to college in Southern Il too. Hey--
Are YOU jealous or somethin' ?
Go Salukis !! (I lived in Neely Hall)

Last edited by nanannie; 10-22-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
I guess it's all in who you know and who you talk to. I have a brother who lives in the Chicago area, and he loves Wisconsin. He loves our vacation spots (especially Door County), loves Milwaukee and our northern lake areas where, it seems, much of Chicago owns summer homes. He lives in a very upscale community, and many of his friends and neighbors drive to WI every week-end in the summer.

I've heard the term FIBs, of course, but I don't personally know anyone who really feels that way.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM

46 posts, read 143,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post

And as far as FIBs,,Chicago is such a huge,major city and melting pot.And has all the pitfalls,crime,and dazzle of any other. All of us dont live in a city. An awful lot of Illinois is farmland,rolling countryside, and countryfolk, just like Wisconsin. So dont condemn the entire (very large) state
Which is why I said in my original post that I'm not going to equate Chicago with the entire state of Illinois...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I think some of you are completely missing the point. It has NOTHING to do with jealousy that's for sure. It has to do with a group of people flagrantly illustrating their lack of RESPECT. Pure and simple. One thing is for sure, I NEVER met a person from Wisconsin that wished they lived in Illinois EVER. I don't know who you're hanging out with but that hasn't been my experience. I do think it has to do very much with the population density of a given place. Indeed the guy from Milwaukee that commented a bit ago, even Milwaukee folks will have more attitude than say someone from a smaller town in Wisconsin.

Ironically even the folks from downstate Illinois don't care much for the folks with their attitudes from Chicago either. So nothing new there. When I went to college in Southern Illinois I most certainly never walked around with my nose in the air to those that lived down there either. Nor did I exhibit any big city attitude. I continued to show respect for anyone around the entire country no matter where I was or who I was interacting with. I can't say for sure but I do believe it has something to do with the younger generations displaying less and less respect for others. In my day growing up (I'm 56) If I showed disrespect to anyone I'd either get my a$$ kicked by them or my parent. Rightfully so, but those days are gone.

I guess what I"m saying is the Wisconsinites disdain for Illinois folks isn't unique as you might think. It prevails all over. The Oregonians hate Californians for Californicating their State. Southern Utahans hate the folks from Las Vegas for wanting to steal their water and on and on. It's always something. Stems from Greed and lack of Respect. 2 harbingers of hatred for sure.
The lack of respect is often a two-way street. The flak I've sometimes gotten once someone finds out I'm from Chicago, even before I ever said a word to them, is an eye-opener. The responses usually fall into two categories: 1) a recitation of all the ways that Chicago sucks and "how can anyone live there" or 2) a variation on "go home."

If Wisconsinites resent being viewed as there to "serve" Chicagoans, maybe they should stop holding themselves out in that capacity and tell their government to stop spending tens of millions of dollars promoting Wisconsin as a "we're here to serve you" tourist attraction. But of course they're going to keep promoting tourism because the state would be broke without it.

As for not meeting anyone from Wisconsin wanting to live in Illinois... erm, about a third of the north and northwest sides of Chicago are colonial outposts variously claimed by Michigan, Iowa, and yes, Wisconsin.

And if you think jealousy has nothing to do with it, you must not have heard or paid any attention to the laments about how Chicagoans are buying up all the prime real estate, especially lakefront property, and driving up property costs and property taxes and making it harder for locals to afford those properties. Whining that you can't afford the property you want that others can afford it is pure, naked jealousy.

Now, I like Wisconsin and I don't want to get into a protracted "Chicagoans vs. Wisconsinites" argument, but the "one-way street" argument isn't gonna fly. This is mutual combat.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
People often ask me if I'm from Chicago (which I take as a compliment) b/c of my "strong" personality or the fact I return drinks if they are not properly made or when I am driving people around or when I order a White Russian at a bike bar or anything I do that people consider aggressive behavior and people who just have met me usually ask "are you originally from IL".

These are instances where I have been asked immediately afterward if I am from Chicago.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Now, why would you order a White Russian at a biker bar?

Last edited by linicx; 11-05-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now, why hell would you order a White Russian at a biker bar?
I like a good Caucasian every now and then. I think a lot of wisco's see people from Chicago just like Roman Craig in the movie the great outdoors.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,608,489 times
What is a "White Russian?"

Old 10-22-2009, 01:08 PM

White Russian (cocktail) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Well, recently the two metro areas are counted as one! The MSA, metro statistical area, now is comprised of the greater Milwaukee, Chicago and NW Indiana areas for a total of 10 mil +
The cities are merging and becoming more homogeneous.............
I haven't seen any true site or csa that counts them as one, could you provide a source?

I agree the two metros are touching therefore should be counted as one but I haven't seen an official csa yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin