Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I can't stand people that aren't punctual. It's a complete lack of professionalism
Interesting, as I feel the same way about clock-watchers.

Quote:
Time is money nowadays.
I don't know about your profession, but in mine the diff between showing up a few mins early or "late" is a statistical zero. IMO as long as the job doesn't suffer, I could give a flip and don't think others should either. I was lucky enough to work for bosses (with one notable exception) who got that. Sometimes I was a little late, sometimes early, sometimes right on the nose. But it wasn't by much and the work never suffered in any way, so they didn't care, as IMO it should be. I applaud this guy's boss for feeling similar and for allowing the flexibility. Where I worked last in fact, we had flex hours - people didn't abuse it (because we were professionals) so it stayed. The early birds got to come in early and leave early, the night owls got to sleep in, work was humming along, everbody happy. God forbid a boss should think of their employees.

FYI, some people simply AREN'T a "morning person." It's not an excuse, it's a fact. I'm not saying that makes it OK to show up late, but a smart manager will allow for it - again IF the job/work won't suffer.

Quote:
I would only make special accomodations for people with kids etc.
So it's unprofessional.....unless you have kids? Glad I don't work for you, frankly. I don't play the discrimination bit much.

I find it ironic (but hardly shocking) that a number of you are making these catty, sneering "grow up" comments while at the same time throwing out all the childish insults. Oh yeah, that's mature.

PS: I have known people who showed UP on time, but sometimes left early. Or took long lunches. And I'd bet heavy money that describes at least some of the people here. How is that any better? Either way you're not (technically) putting in a full day.

Many of you also seem to conveniently ignore that he's already said he isn't changing his schedule and that oh btw he routinely stays "late," so he's still putting in his hours, perhaps even then some.

Unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well from what he posted - to be fair - it seems he will be "enjoying breakfast" in the 30 minutes before he goes "on the clock", but oh yeah, his co-workers WILL notice and resent it.

But hey, he's shown us how socially inept he can be before this, so no big surprise there.
...as opposed to all the wondeful social skills you and others are showing right now, right? Hello pot.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're damned lucky that you weren't fired. And you're looking at it as a "reward". If I were you (and I thank God I'm not, and I'm not religious) I'd look on this as a final step of progressive discipline prior to termination, because that's probably what it is.
Can the "coming in at 9:30 and eating breakfast" crap. Eat your breakfast at home and if your schedule is now 10AM that's when you come in. Not 30 minutes early and sit around watching the folks who get there on time do their jobs.
Don't expect your lunch to start at 12 now, more like 2. You are now on second shift.

Of course, I wouldn' take lunch at 12pm if I get there at 10am. I will probably take lunch at 2:30pm

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm sure she was incredibly fascinated by knowing all these insignificant details of your morning routine.

Wow, what a revelation from such an acutely analytical mind! You might be in line for a Nobel prize for that one.

A night owl is usually considered to be somebody who is staying up late to accomplish something productive. Staying up fiddling around on dating websites which have never produced anything at all for you can hardly be considered in that vein.

Sigh.

Being a night owl means stay up late doing whatever you enjoy doing when you are not working

The End

Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Agreed. OP: And why not do some actual work instead of sitting around eating breakfast? JHFC, eat at home before you come in or wait until lunch, you’re there to work, not sit around casually enjoying a meal.

When I say breakfast I mean "toasted bagel" not pancakes and bacon and a side of toast.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When I say breakfast I mean "toasted bagel" not pancakes and bacon and a side of toast.

Doesn't matter what it is, eat at home or Bagels 'R' Us not when you get to work at 9:30 (not starting until 10). You have extra time now, remember.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM

It really doesn't make sense since I live only 10 mins away. I just can't figure out why when I was making $7.00 an hour as a telemarkter working much further away from home I was always at work on time. Now I make much more money, live in walking distance and can't get there on time.

10am to 6pm is my shift and I don't expect to be late anymore this year.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,299 times
Yet Another TVandSportsGuy Thread (YATT).

You're doing good so far. You haven't been called Grasshopper yet. Oh whoops.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
You must be doing something right if they are working with you to change your schedule If those hours work for everybody that is totally awesome!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
...as opposed to all the wondeful social skills you and others are showing right now, right? Hello pot.

LOL, you only have to read some of his previous meander............erm I mean posts to get verification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment