Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM

43 posts, read 142,979 times

Advertisements

He's been out of work for nine months now. We have three young children and no health insurance. He's in the Residential Design business and Home Inspections. But we will take ANYTHING b/c unemployment will not keep us going.....anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,738 times
I really wish I could help, all I can offer is compassion and a prayer that you will find something soon. Have you thought about relocating?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
I know you dont want to hear this but 30 million Americans need a job too. I have people coming into my store all day long beggging with tears in their eyes. I wish I can help everyone but I layed everyone off quite some time ago. No one is buying anything. The only thing people are not doing without is eating out but they no longer eat expensive but rather cheaper places.

This economic depression will get much much worse before anything changes. In the old days when jobs were scarce people would just relocate. Cant do that anymore cause there ain't no jobs anywhere.

I just wish you luck and take care of your family first and the bank last.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,874 times
I'm in Charlotte too...things are bad here, and I don't think they're going to get better.

Check the restaurants hiring in Uptown. There are about 500 people competing for one position, but the positions pay well. See if he can get into hotel work. Pay is crappy for what it is, but there are perks like medical, dental, and ADD insurance and discounted meals and hotel rooms. Any bit helps.

Security is also always hiring around here.

Might not be what you want to hear, but the food stamps office can get you in and out in a day, recieving benefits within a few weeks. Also with three young kids, you may qualify for WIC.

Do you rent or do you own? Check out 1005 W. Trade for a safe and convenient apartment complex that does sliding income scale through tax credits. If he finds a job in Uptown, you can keep from having to use a car.

Do you work? Stagger shifts, have him get overnight work, and you get daytime. That way you don't have to pay for day care.

..that's all I can say. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
I'm sorry, too, OP.
I've been trying to find a full time, real job for 2 years. I thought once I made the choice to go from stay home mom to full time worker it would be a snap. I was educated and experienced. We just moved to a new area and my husband snagged a night job so could work days.

Well, no, it hasn't happened. Every day I get reminded how 'I have to do something' but I haven't a clue because I am doing what I was taught to do--apply for jobs, send resumes to places and hope they will have openings.

Long term unemployment has robbed my life for 2 years. I've only had a temp job for six months in that time and I was grateful EVERY day I was earning a paycheck.

There are so many of us out there who 'need a job.'

As far as health insurance, go to your state offices and try to find out about social services. I am sure the kids could get insured.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
Better go for the public aid, food stamps, Medicaid, or welfare... It's hard to find a job anywhere. I apply for perfect matching jobs and get no responses...

Old 09-05-2009, 06:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Better go for the public aid, food stamps, Medicaid, or welfare... It's hard to find a job anywhere. I apply for perfect matching jobs and get no responses...
Yes I agree. I think there is absolutely no shame in this. I am not one to EVER accept help from people, but when you are out of a job and need to take care of yourself and your family...well, pride needs to go out the window. I would accept welfare/food stamps/etc. if it got to that point. Currently I still have a bit of money in the bank, and I have my car, so I'm not eligible.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM

43 posts, read 142,979 times
Thank you, everyone....we still search for employment!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,714 times
Hi, I'm not sure if this helps but has he tried writing about what he knows? I know sites like demand studios are hiring and they pay twice a week every week- it's not much (typically $15 for a 300 word article) but it adds up and getting paid twice a week could be helpful in a situation like yours. Plus they have lots of articles available that need to be written on home designs and even offer a group insurance once you're there for a little while. You could also do it from home with the kids to bring home an extra paycheck if you enjoy writing. anyway best of luck to you and your family.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I'm in Charlotte too...things are bad here, and I don't think they're going to get better.
That's impossible! Thanks to the rocket scientist journalists out there writing those "best places to live" articles, everbody knows that N.C. is the panacea that will cure all your woes! Move here and people rush up to you with fantastic job offers! Houses only cost a nickel! etc!

Sorry, just sick of seeing/hearing that idiocy from those moving here who buy into it. NC is mostly average to below average compared w/the rest of the country with many areas that were in seriously bad shape even before this bad economy kicked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment