Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times

Advertisements

I currently work as a software engineer for a defense contractor. I am thankful to have a job and I understand many are going through much worse right now. I have been trying to land a new job out of state for the last several months. I've gotten one interview so far. Otherwise, I've gotten several calls but they are all from within my current city (St. Louis, MO). I understand that employers would feel hesitant about interviewing an out of state candidate. I know that I need the resume to really shine if I want to even be considered. I just refuse to move without a job in this environment. Anyone on here recently went through this with success? How did you do it? Do you feel it was just luck and timing? I've even tried applying for jobs within my own company out of state and still no calls yet. How would I let employers know that I'm willing to relocate at my own expense on my resume? Right now I have a note at the bottom of my resume that says "Willing to relocate". I don't want to leave it out completely but I also don't want to sound desperate either. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I currently work as a software engineer for a defense contractor. I am thankful to have a job and I understand many are going through much worse right now. I have been trying to land a new job out of state for the last several months. I've gotten one interview so far. Otherwise, I've gotten several calls but they are all from within my current city (St. Louis, MO). I understand that employers would feel hesitant about interviewing an out of state candidate. I know that I need the resume to really shine if I want to even be considered. I just refuse to move without a job in this environment. Anyone on here recently went through this with success? How did you do it? Do you feel it was just luck and timing? I've even tried applying for jobs within my own company out of state and still no calls yet. How would I let employers know that I'm willing to relocate at my own expense on my resume? Right now I have a note at the bottom of my resume that says "Willing to relocate". I don't want to leave it out completely but I also don't want to sound desperate either. Thanks!
What makes you want to leave so bad? I mean, you sound desperate almost. It is not easy to land a job out of state unless you have something nobody else have that lives closer. My husband got a job out of state but he is a flight-dispatcher.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:11 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What makes you want to leave so bad? I mean, you sound desperate almost. It is not easy to land a job out of state unless you have something nobody else have that lives closer. My husband got a job out of state but he is a flight-dispatcher.
I'm trying to move somewhere closer to family. I'm also pretty bored with the city I live in and looking for a change.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
I wouldn't state that on my resume. I'd put that in my cover letter. You do have a cover letter, don't you? You use that to explain why you want to move and are willing to relocate. I'd think employers would understand the lure of being near family well enough to give you a chance. The bored and looking for a change part, not so much.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Unless your job is really horrible, why even bother right now? Save the open jobs for the long-term unemployed who really need them.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

115 posts, read 267,214 times
Default Same way..

Quote:
I have been trying the same thing and I live in Kansas City, MO. And I Technical Account Manager with a Network Systems Admin Degree(never got work in it tho'). I just simply wanted to move, period. I have been sending resumes for about three months now and gotten one phone interview in Philly for a Jr Network Admin. I have been sending resumes to the 3 or 4 places that I would want to move my family(Philadelphia, PA, Seattle, WA, or Raliegh,NC). And I keep getting plenty of emails from Temp companies in my city, just like you. I stated the same thing as you did, I shore in the heck would never be foolish and move to anyone's State without a job offer.

I'm just like this in thought, what the heck can it hurt if I keep sending resumes, because since I am working, it's not hurting me one way or the other. Like my boss told me a few month ago, he left about 4 years ago for FL and he couldn't gain employment, and he couldn't find crap, so he came back to KS. Like I told him I shore would never do that in this craptastic economy. Maybe one time in life people could just pack up and go. Not now! My father did it in 1967, just up and moved from the ATL to KC, and he got here and flourished until he was shot in '77. So just hang on in there, your time will come just like mine..

Last edited by dasmin5; 07-28-2010 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also a software developer who's currently employed, but trying to find a job in another city. I've saved up enough money to cover my own relo and am willing to pay travel expenses for interviews. And like you, I get plenty of calls from within my own city, but none from the city I'm targeting. If you want to get hired by a company in another state, you have to look at it from their perspective. First, they can't be 100% sure you'll relocate. What if they make you an offer and you change your mind about moving? It might be too late for them to extend an offer to their second choice. And even if you're willing to pay your own relo expenses, many employers won't read far enough into your resume to realize that. They'll see the out-of-state address and just assume you need relo. Second, what if they need someone who can start sooner? A local candidate could start in 2 weeks, less if he's not currently working. You could have a house to sell. Even if you're renting, you'd probably need to give your landlord at least 30 days notice. Add in the time to actually relocate and it could easily be more than a month before you could start. Third, employers have to deal with the difference in cost of living when it comes time to negotiate with you on salary. So all of these things work against you.

I've been looking for a job in my target city for 3 months now. In another 3 months, my apartment lease will be up. If I haven't a job by then, I'll either have to renew my lease or just move without a job lined up. Like you, I would rather not have to move without a job lined up first. But I have a friend who moved to another city with no job. It took her a few months, but she finally found something. I think having a local address gave her a big advantage. Before she moved, she never got any replies. And being in your target city makes it a LOT easier to network, which is how she finally got a job. So while you may not want to move before finding a job, you should seriously consider doing so if you really want to move. Just be sure you have enough saved up to go without work for a while AND be sure the city you're targeting isn't too expensive.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
I removed my street address from my resume, that actually seemed to do alot. I didn't get TONS of interviews in other towns, but at least some.

Quote:
Unless your job is really horrible, why even bother right now? Save the open jobs for the long-term unemployed who really need them.
I wouldn't do this. It isn't rationing, either way you'll be leaving behind a job to be filled. A lot of people are trying to find work elsewhere, and you think that you are doing a good think by not applying to a better job for the greater good, the only person that will lose is you.

The unemployed aren't owed any advantage that the employed have, so I don't even think that it is fair to not apply so as not to hurt the unemployed.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I got my out of state job via the local paper, believe it or not.....

They were recruiting in my area and even did the interviews in my home town. Lucky me.

How about contacting some headhunters?

I haven't had success with 'em but I know some folks that have. My friend targeted the Portland, OR area for about a year and landed a gig out there.

Worth a shot, I s'pose.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I removed my street address from my resume, that actually seemed to do alot. I didn't get TONS of interviews in other towns, but at least some.

I wouldn't do this. It isn't rationing, either way you'll be leaving behind a job to be filled. A lot of people are trying to find work elsewhere, and you think that you are doing a good think by not applying to a better job for the greater good, the only person that will lose is you.

The unemployed aren't owed any advantage that the employed have, so I don't even think that it is fair to not apply so as not to hurt the unemployed.
Right now for every opening there are FIVE jobs seekers (and that's down from almost SEVEN a few months ago). In a "normal" economy there are less than 2 and even in every other recession after the Great Depression it never got past 3. That's already "rationing" in my view, and when the "losers" (who are the majority of job seekers) face homelessness and starvation, then it is a crisis/national emergency in my view. When I hear of people (especially older people) attempting to commit suicide because they have become "unemployable" long-term (partially because corporate America won't even give them a chance) and feel because of the way many in society are treating them (calling them "lazy", "drug addicts" etc.) that they are a burden on said society, yeah I start to think a little more about the "greater good". Whether or not you (and by "you" I'm not specifically addressing SouthBound47, just anyone in general) feel that Obama administration policies are the answer, something has to be done besides just "letting them rot", etc. In fact since I don't completely agree with the status quo either, I would love for those in opposition to have an answer beyond "the market will simply work it out" because either (just like the 30s) it won't this time or the way it will "work out" will be extremely tragic for society. It's not that simple......

Granted, in "normal" times I'd mostly agree with you and I'll even grant the point that if he/she gets the job, in theory their old job is now open for someone to get, but in the 1930s people did think more about the "greater good" and it's a shame we're not realizing the social crisis we are re-creating. With nuclear weapons, we can't simply have a "world war" to solve it this time......(no I obviously don't think we "created" that to solve the depression, but my point is such a war that mobilizes all resources and manpower can't/won't happen again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment