Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Poor treatment of young medical residents by nurses with a power trip is the prime reason why some doctors turn out to hate nurses when they become attendings. I've seen it happen to many people. It's a vicious cycle. You reap what you sow. I have nothing against nurses, I just found it amusing that acing high school bio is considered a great accomplishment, it reflects the general low standards America has for education. Knowing high school bio and chem should be the bare minimum to have any responsibility in the health care field.

There's no significant nursing shortage in America, only shortages are in midnight shifts and the boonies. New nursing grads have hard time finding jobs in major markets.

And nurses receive far more abuse from fellow nurses (they eat their own) than from doctors. This is true in other female-dominated fields, like teaching. Don't blame the doctors for the crappy work environment. We endure it too.
There is an underlying nurse shortage ... it is masked by the recession at this time.
In my experience ...only a few nurses are nasty to residents. Myself and my coworkers most generally are good to residents. Nurses who are nasty to residents generally are unhappy small-minded people.
Good high school marks are needed to get to medical school here (no bachelor degree first). Medical school entry requires straight A + ....Nursing school needs a B or B+ average for entry.
Medical students have to ace their high school science subjects ...that's an achievement....is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Hah, that's not tough, it's the bare minimum to become competent.

A semester of high school microbiology = less than one 50 minute microbio lecture in medical school.
A semester of college microbiology = four, five med school microbio lectures.

I guess ones definition of talent and discipline are all relative.
Like I tell my son who thinks he is the bomb for taking 8th grade math in 6th grade "nobody likes a showoff". Its not any prettier coming from an adult; in fact, I certainly hope when he is your age he does not scoff at people who find Trigonometry or Calculus difficult.

OK - Nursing School - It does not have to be tough enough to admit only people who could complete medical school. Really, what would be the point?

It only has to be tough enough to weed out most of the people who would flunk out of nursing school, thus wasting a spot for a more qualified candidate.

Ask nurses who mentor/counsel new grads, and most, if not all, of them will tell you its no secret nursing school is only the beginning of a nurse's education, and that good nurses never stop educating themselves.

You don't have to be smart enough to be a doctor to be a nurse. You don't need a PhD in Math or Physics to be an engineer, etc...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Reason 1001 why it scares the willies out of me when a family member enters a hospital.
Me too... there's thousands of permutations of things that can and do go wrong, but there's a lot of good being done too.

And for the most part, people act pretty professionally, but it is a high stress environment and sometimes emotions run raw. Many of the residents are also on their 30th straight hour at the hospital and the scrub nurse who clocked in 30 minutes ago gives the resident attitude for some trivial thing (like pronouncing an instrument differently than the scrub nurse).

Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
There is an underlying nurse shortage ... it is masked by the recession at this time.
In my experience ...only a few nurses are nasty to residents. Myself and my coworkers most generally are good to residents. Nurses who are nasty to residents generally are unhappy small-minded people.
Good high school marks are needed to get to medical school here (no bachelor degree first). Medical school entry requires straight A + ....Nursing school needs a B or B+ average for entry.
Medical students have to ace their high school science subjects ...that's an achievement....is it not?
High school standards in NZ and Europe are vastly different from the US.

In the US, at a lot of old crust academic centers the OR and nursing staff are programmed to resent and despise the student, and talk crap constantly behind the student/resident/attending's back. It's a learned trait and passed down from previous staff, and the response from students and residents is to resent them, occasionally talking back to them and appearing cocky, usually in response to some insult/putdown/unnecessary rudeness....everybody gets mad, and the cycle continues...

It's highly hospital dependent.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times
Quote:
Me too... there's thousands of permutations of things that can and do go wrong, but there's a lot of good being done too.

And for the most part, people act pretty professionally, but it is a high stress environment and sometimes emotions run raw. Many of the residents are also on their 30th straight hour at the hospital and the scrub nurse who clocked in 30 minutes ago gives the resident attitude for some trivial thing (like pronouncing an instrument differently than the scrub nurse).
Some surgeons have different names for the same instrument ...as well as using different pronounciation.
Point is ... the resident is tired and probably overworked ...however he/she is disrespectful when he releases all this pent-up emotion onto the nurse.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:

I was thinking 'perhaps you're tired', etc, with that rant. OTOH, when I was pre-med, and trying to get a clue, I saw the same crap. It's there. It's a unique social fudgarchy in medical care. Yes, there are folk who are exhausted and some are over-worked. Employ the juvenile environment to the mix and it's not funny. I'm not saying there isn't anything good happening, to be clear. I know there is. Sometimes it's too ridiculous to be acceptable. But, that's human ego for you. I know it won't change.

With that said, I'm not saying folk shouldn't be checked (sorry for double-negative). They should. Incomeptance begets confidence and there shouldn't be a place for that in healthcare. I just feel a gentle hand at it is more productive.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I think if someone can take the difficult classes required to become a nurse, more power to them. There are hundreds taking the nursing classes at the local community college for those "guaranteed" jobs they think they are going to get upon graduation. I know the college is loving it; even built a new building just for nursing. I'm skeptical that some of the people I see taking the classes will actually be able to perform the job in the real world.

I have several family members that are nurses right now. The ones that have been able to find empoyment in private doctor's offices are happier than the ones working in the hospitals or long-term care facilities. They tell me that they while they love nursing and caring for their patients, the amount of paperwork and documentation that has to be completed these days every time they provide care is as my aunt said "sucking the soul out of the profession". Micro-management is rampant everywhere in the working world these days, unfortunately.

We have got to get our manufacturing back in this country. We can't all be nurses.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I've noticed that a lot of people going into nursing are going in it for the money. A lot of the people I've seen tend not to be "intellectual" types, but rather the former high school pot heads, cheerleaders, jocks, average to below-average students, etc., who just want a job that pays bank. And since an RN degree from a CC is pretty easy to obtain, a lot of people are flocking to this field. Very few people I've met are going into the field because of their compassion for people.

I'm not trying to stereotype, this is just what I've seen in people seeking this path.
I hope those types you described above get their stuff together real quick b/c nursing school ,and nursing is not for slackers. It's a pretty intense program.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
I think the bottom line is people are scared and running to whichever "career" is hot right now....people are sick of being unemployed or underemployed. I believe that the media is painting a better picture of the nursing field than the reality..most nursing baby boomers are not retiring anytime soon and look around at how many University's, CC and technical schools are spiting out nurses year after year. My step sister is a nurse, she got a job right away-working graveyard, my cousin is halfway through the nursing program at a darn good school and 90% of the class before her-can't find jobs....

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I am so sick of the media saying there is a nursing shortage....THERE IS NOT A NURSING SHORTAGE.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-find-job.html

Are colleges oversupplying nurses? | MinnEcon | Minnesota Public Radio

And last but not least go to the all nurses forum and READ about all the new nurses who can't get work.

Most of the adds for nurses are bogus.

Exactly!!

When you are in the hospital, and you can't get your nurse to come, it isn't a shortage, it is short staffing, to save money so the people at the top can get more.

People don't get it.

They listen to the news and the garbage out there.

Hospitals and other facilities are having a field day with all of the people who went into medicine.

Whenever there are openings, these schools spring up and saturate the market. They did it with IT and Radiology positions. They promise good money for the schooling.

Everybody and their brother is going into nursing. The employers do not want to pay the high pays they are giving now. You just wait, nurses will be working harder, working for 2-3 people, and not getting the high rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment