Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM

8,039 posts, read 10,631,014 times

Advertisements

I just left a department store retail job for various reasons. I worked there for years, but just this last year, they started forcing these "scripted" conversations at us that we were supposed to follow throughout the transactions with customers, not just in upselling, but phoney stuff like "I hope we have given you surprising, outstanding service today, blah, blah, blah" etc. Our regular customers would just look at us like we were nuts!

Now I am working at a bank, and the same similar phoney baloney scripted greetings and salutations, over and over, all day long. You're criticized if you deviat from the "script". What is wrong with natural, pleasant conversation with your customers?

If a company hires the right people in the first place, why the need for all the strict scripting of exchanges between the employees and customers? Are we robots now in this economy? I don't really mind doing it, but on some level, it's disturbing. I mean, most of us are adults, not children - do they think we don't know how to act or have any manners? It just seems so strange to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,572 times
There is a theory in management, I can't remember the name, but it's very popular. It basically says that in order to get maximum productivity you need to manage every small thing. It's especially popular with low-skill jobs.

For example, Wendy's training videos show employees the proper way to hold a cup to fill. UPS drivers are supposed to hold their vehicle keys a certain way.

It's well researched, and it sounds dumb, but it works. I would bet that your work it something like that.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,572 times
I always know the employer at a retail store is forced to say whatever they are saying to me, so I just decline whatever they are offering or just ignore them. I feel sorry for them usually because I know it's because some manager told them to do so.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
There is a theory in management, I can't remember the name, but it's very popular. It basically says that in order to get maximum productivity you need to manage every small thing. It's especially popular with low-skill jobs.

For example, Wendy's training videos show employees the proper way to hold a cup to fill. UPS drivers are supposed to hold their vehicle keys a certain way.

It's well researched, and it sounds dumb, but it works. I would bet that your work it something like that.

So a bank teller is a low skill job? Interesting you think that, considering.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,581 times
It sounds horrible and guests/customers hate it. But Corporate is sure they love it. Totally stupid.

edit: if it works, why do we get SO many complaints about it?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,875 times
They've probably done some market research to tell them exactly what will "make the customers happy." For example, I worked in a customer service job at a call center. We were supposed to end the conversation with "Have I answered all of your questions today?"

Why this and not, "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Because in question one, the most common answer will be "yes," and in question two the most common answer will be "no." Their research showed that customers were happier ending with a 'yes' response than with a 'no' response. Perhaps.

I don't mind some scripting as it does help to guide a conversation. What bothers me is when I am evaluated on how exact my script is, and the "quality" of the script. Which, interestingly enough is more of a qualitative measure than quantitative measure, and therefore, open to interpretation.

This is why I don't work in a call center anymore, and never will again (God willing).

Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So a bank teller is a low skill job? Interesting you think that, considering.
I don't think that working as a teller is particularly skilled. Certainly more so than asking if they want fries with that burger or mopping floors, but it's a job that anyone with average intelligence and a high school diploma can learn with 30 hours of training--most of which involves understanding US laws regarding cash transactions and banking terminology.

If I recall, Southbound47 is working at a bank until they can find a position that more closely fits their education and interests. Nothing wrong with that, I think most of us have held jobs that were below our capabilities at one point or another while looking for something else.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,572 times
That's it, its about the easiest job in the world when it comes down to it. Most people with a high school educated could pull it off. It does take more expertise as you move up, I was the back up head teller until my promotion, and my promotion does actually require a college degree. But to be a regular teller you can basically rely on your head teller when you don't understand government or individual bank regulations.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,405 times
Several factors. Biggest is lowest common denominator. Some people might not say something positive and on the other-hand say nothing at all or even goodbye. Another factor would be political correctness. Probably not a good idea to end the conversation with "May God bless you" or "Merry Christmas". Some native American's find Thanksgiving offensive.

Bottom line is that we'll be seeing more and more of it.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't think that working as a teller is particularly skilled. Certainly more so than asking if they want fries with that burger or mopping floors, but it's a job that anyone with average intelligence and a high school diploma can learn with 30 hours of training--most of which involves understanding US laws regarding cash transactions and banking terminology.

If I recall, Southbound47 is working at a bank until they can find a position that more closely fits their education and interests. Nothing wrong with that, I think most of us have held jobs that were below our capabilities at one point or another while looking for something else.

Agreed, but most of us don't sneer at others doing the same job do we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment