Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times

Advertisements

Most people DO drive to work. So an hour commute or less is pretty common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My sister in laws girl friend commuted from Delaware to WA DC everyday for 10 years.
Joe Biden did that the entire time he was a senator.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I've been in Kentucky for about 5 months now and have kept up a furious job search. I've applied to several jobs in Louisville which is average 35-45 miles from my residence in the exurbs (think Ft. Knox). I've only gotten interviews for maybe 3 or 4 of them. The rest I get emails saying we've moved onto other candidates. I really don't mind driving an hour each way for a job. I'm anxiously waiting an answer for a good job Downtown which would be a 50 minute commute each way. I would plan to relocate closer in due time if I got this job.

I'm wondering if my residence about 45 miles away is a turnoff for recruiters. I understand the inclement weather argument but any other thoughts on this?
Depends upon the industry and employer. My employer does not seem to have an issue with me living 40+ miles away AND using public transit.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 PM

49 posts, read 252,322 times
My commute is currently 75 miles, one way. That's 150 miles per day and 2 hours and 45 minutes a day on the road. I would jump all over a job 30-40 miles away......Pretty standard now a days. Especially in urban areas.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 PM

30,371 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Might be different where you live, but like others have said I don't think that's very far... I commuted 35 miles for one job, and 55 miles (each way) for another. Here in California that really isn't a big deal, so maybe my perspective is skewed - I still don't think 35-40mi would turn off a prospective employer.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:49 AM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Depends upon the industry and employer. My employer does not seem to have an issue with me living 40+ miles away AND using public transit.
Also on what part of the country you live in. In very large urban areas and in "extreme rural" areas it is common enough that it is not considered a negative.

But even within that it can depend on the industry. I live in the NY metropolitan area and I "reverse commute" in the education field (40 miles from just north of the Bronx into CT, takes me about 40-45 minutes since it's before rush hours on both ends, more later). While there are many "tenured teachers" who do long commutes (a common one is from lower upstate NY into a NYC school), and it is easier for a teacher than most jobs to do that (usually both the morning and afternoon commute are before rush hour when it's long, though teachers involved in after-school activities deal with evening rush hour), at the entry level it is somewhat looked down upon because there are usually (at least nowadays) a lot of "local teacher candidates" they can consider first and there's a lot of "why aren't you trying to get a job teaching in a district near you?" (in my case it's because I got a CT license and until I have a permanent job and feel secure about it I don't want to risk moving)

Another factor is "corporate culture". If your office has a lot of variable long hours, they are likely to frown on long commutes more.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 AM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Also on what part of the country you live in. In very large urban areas and in "extreme rural" areas it is common enough that it is not considered a negative.

But even within that it can depend on the industry. I live in the NY metropolitan area and I "reverse commute" in the education field (40 miles from just north of the Bronx into CT, takes me about 40-45 minutes since it's before rush hours on both ends, more later). While there are many "tenured teachers" who do long commutes (a common one is from lower upstate NY or well into CT into a NYC school), and it is easier for a teacher than most other jobs to do that (usually both the morning and afternoon commute are before rush hour when it's long, though teachers involved in after-school activities deal with evening rush hour), at the entry level it is somewhat looked down upon because there are usually (at least nowadays) a lot of "local teacher candidates" they can consider first and there's a lot of "why aren't you trying to get a job teaching in a district near you?" (in my case it's because I got a CT license instead of NY for various reasons and until I have a permanent job and feel secure about it I don't want to risk moving)

Another factor is "corporate culture". If your office has a lot of variable long hours, they are likely to frown on long commutes more.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Joe Biden did that the entire time he was a senator.
Yeah, like they go to work everyday!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
That's normal in the NY Metro area. I commute 60 miles each way, mostly by train. My commute is a little longer than most, but 30 - 40 miles is not unusual at all.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:44 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,970 times
Greetings,
Why do you think it miles apart from job - keeping u from getting the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment