Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Thank you Further North, I did my research on this profession before I took the course and found there were jobs and since I do have a medical background, experience with phlebotomy decades ago and there are jobs out there for phlebotomists at hospitals, labs, clinics and donor centers to name a few. I even volunteer at the Red Cross Donor center. However, it has become very apparent that I'm facing age discrimination at 60 as I see everyone they hire is much younger even though I have a glowing recomendation from an instructor, and experience and I'm willing to start at the bottom of the pay scale. Also, this is one of those jobs that can't be outsourced and requires knowledge and skill. I'm one of those phlebotomists people love to get I never miss and I'm quick and I've been told very good and almost painless.

Also, it's apparent that some don't realize all that goes into this "job" there is room for advancement and you must past a national certification (that I did with a very high score), the "stick" is only part of the job, there's knowing what tubes go with what lab orders, there is an order of draw because many of the tubes have additives that could contaminate multi-tube draws, there is also post processing the order correctly and making sure the blood is packaged, handled correctly, not damaged and these are just a few of the things that go into being a phlebotomist. As a donor phlebotomist, that becomes a whole 'nother level and requires more training and certifications.
I think you made a smart choice. And if you can "stick" people without pain that is a definite plus. When you do get hired people will think you've been doing it for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
I'd rather ask YOU, where's the stress?
For a young person there is much stress simply from the current state of their physiology. Look at how a teenager can "explode" for what seems like nothing.

So, the stress of being employed in a "fast" food environment is going to be amplified. Any situation where "time" is a factor of good performance there is stress.

For the average young person, being inside working instead of outside having fun is stressful.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Yaaaaawn.

Lord knows those white men are to good to do menial jobs. After all, their **** does not stink. That only applies to blacks, mexican's and women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Just this weekend I saw no less than 5 older, white males working in menial jobs. Two were at the drive through at MCD, another 2 at Costco, sweeping the floor, one making pizza. Another was sweeping up at a local grocery store.

You could tell from the way the talked they were educated, probably had professional careers in the past. Now there they are, taking the only job they can find, probably minimum wage at that.

While the "good" jobs go to the foreign guys, they are the only ones who understand science, of course. Would help if they understood basic English.

It was just so hard to see people reduced to such pathetic circumstances just to survive. The most discriminated class in the workforce is the over 50, white male, no doubt about that!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
No, the white male is the preferred person to get a job. I had been passed over for jobs by white males a few times. Over 50? Maybe other races will experience more discrimination.

Just tell me why most American CEOs are white males. Like sure there is discrimination against minorities, not the white male.
Oh come on...........you know why there are only white male CEO's. White men are the only people that are smart enough to run a big company. Blacks, women and latino's are not smart enough nor do they work hard. They're just to lazy. (SARCASIM)

Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cd View Post
the reason most american ceos are white males is because ceo positions aren't filled like a "job" is. Ceo positions are "taken" by the most qualified and aggressive types.

btw, there are ceos of every race and gender. Also, no one "gave" them their "job".

wrong

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

wrong
Are you being sarcastic?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
The reason most american CEOs are white males is because CEO positions aren't filled like a "job" is. CEO positions are "taken" by the most qualified and aggressive types.
Sorry, does this mean to say that white males are more qualified and aggressive than males of other races??

Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 AM

164 posts, read 440,901 times
I think they have the orientals to contend with.

I will say that the blacks and mexicans I've seen in CEO positions have the same characteristics of the white people who hold those positions.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Sorry, does this mean to say that white males are more qualified and aggressive than males of other races??
Why are you apologizing?

Well, I think there are more white males that are more qualified and focused (focused is a better word than aggressive) at this point, than females or other races.

I also think the number of males and females of other races that are qualified and focused will continue to increase.

More and more countries are improving their education systems, thus raising the level of intelligence of their people, so that they pursue higher levels of achievement.

In the USA you see males/females of all races making their dreams come true through better education and the belief that they can attain any goals they set.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
I think they have the orientals to contend with.

I will say that the blacks and mexicans I've seen in CEO positions have the same characteristics of the white people who hold those positions.
Heh I didn't know anyone used the word "orientals" anymore.

I'd agree about the colored CEOs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment