Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

My late dad owned a home and a commercial lot with a business he operated on it.

Parents decided to visit Europe for a vacation. He applied at the bank for a credit card instead of taking Cash. They turned him down because he had NO paying credit record. Now dad always paid Cash for his parts (mechanic owned shop) and did have one weekly account. Paid Cash for a New Cad at Beverly Hills Cad dealer....still they refused him. Dad was a little teed off as his entegrity was beyond reproach but still NO CC in hand.

A person has to be indebted his whole life to survive in todays society. Your worthness is NIL unless you have some CC in your wallet and paying high interest rates.

Foul up the credit for some idiotic reason and your up the creek without a paddle.

Bad or Poor Credit...SORRY, were NOT interested in hiring you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post

Wouldn't it make sense that someone who has their finances in order at home can "most likely" keep a better record of finances in the workplace? Or even in general, a better more "responsible" employee?

Damn Right! If you don't have a good credit score you don't deserve a job. PERIOD.

I mean would you hire a contractor to build your dream house if you read in the paper that their house collapsed do to negligent building practices? Maybe he built it, maybe he didn't. Maybe all the houses he's built were top notch but he just didn't care about his own? Doesn't matter, still makes you wonder Just so long as he has a good credit score.

Should hookers be allowed to teach kindergarten? The fact she sells sex for money by night has no effect on here teaching abilities. Or does it?
If she has a good credit score that means she's a responsible and well organized person. She might be talented in both her career choices!

In business, it is about playing the odds pure and simple. Not about how good you think you are, or what they're missing, or anything like that. How many job applicants were weeded out by their myspace/facebook page alone?
Maybe people who have low credit scores should be fined ... or perhaps imprisoned? They obviously are irresponsible, so isn't it reasonable to assume they are dishonest and perhaps even criminal??? One thing is clear, they don't deserve to be employed.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Fico scores are the invention and enforcement of the Banking industry.
The banking industry, along with Wall street, controls the Congress and the President's
administration.
Let's just say you always played by the rules.
You borrowed money for a car loan, credit cards, but responsibly, and
you saved up money to buy a conventional mortgage with a 30 year fixed rate.
Then, through no fault of your own, the economy fails.
Your company, or your business if you are self employed, goes under.
You loose your job, can't possibly pay Cobra, car note, insurance, food,
mortgage, on unemployment, and your family needs your help too.
So you beg and look and are ready to accept any job at all, and you get
the foreclosure notice and within 90 days, your mortgage company has forclosed
on your home.
You still pay your car, but need a place to live, have no where to go.
Your FICO score thanks to the Banking Industry that has control over the country,
has destroyed your credit rating with a fast forclosure.
You move in with family members who are not happy and every day you get up
and search for a job, any job.
Now tell me this person deserves to be turned down, again and again
for a job because of his or her credit rating.
Come on people, are you all blind?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I have a question... how common is it for companies to run credit checks, and do certain states opt out? I was reading that on the other forum, and think California might not support this - considering I've never been asked for a credit check, and haven't heard anyone else (friends/family/etc) mention the practice. Do those of you in other states commonly get this request from potential employers?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
I don't know about other states, I'm in New York. It depends what kind of job you're applying for. Anything that required you handling money: retail, banks, insurance, mortgages, stock trading they will run a credit check. There is an increasing trend for employers in other industries to also ask for a credit check. I did furniture retail sales for a few months in 2009, and nobody did a credit check there, only criminal check. In real estate (several firms), nobody did a check; I was doing it from 2006-2008. It seems to be very individual. Most private sector companies that are not involved in money transactions or where the financial sector is not interrelated probably will not care. It depends on the type of position; bookkeeping/accounting they will probably run a check but again, it depends on the company. The pattern is that small companies really don't care and they understand that in this economy, many people and their mother will have bad credit. Some of these business owners themselves have bad credit!! C'mon. Maybe working for a boss with bad credit makes it likely that he will steal from the workers by not paying overtime, benefits, or not paying on time.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Credit checks should be mandatory only in certain industries, not all. If these new world order employers are so mistrustful of employees then perhaps they shouldn't hire any. Perhaps they should run their business themselves.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Credit checks should be mandatory only in certain industries, not all. If these new world order employers are so mistrustful of employees then perhaps they shouldn't hire any. Perhaps they should run their business themselves.
Agreed

Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If a person isn't responsible enough to manage their own finances, how can they be trusted to be responsible on the job?
I can't see where one has anything to do with the other. My desk at home looks like a paper mill exploded on top of it; I hunt and search for everything because I just toss stuff around. Does the state of my home desk have anything to do with my performance at my job?

My desk at work is pristine and well-ordered; everything is filed immediately, I know where everything is. One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:
So you are saying it isn't common to ruin credit by making poor financial decisions?
Just as common as it is for people with good credit to steal from the company?

Quote:
If I was hiring you and you refused to let me take out a credit score, I would have no choice to assume you are terrible with your money and are trying to hide it from the company.
Or, you could assume that I have higher standards than you do, and don't want to work for a company that hires based on irrelevant practices and invades people's privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I don't know about other states, I'm in New York. It depends what kind of job you're applying for. Anything that required you handling money: retail, banks, insurance, mortgages, stock trading they will run a credit check.
Golly -- I may never have been hired for my first real job, then: bank teller at the age of 19. I had one year of college under my belt and ... no credit record at all.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can't see where one has anything to do with the other. My desk at home looks like a paper mill exploded on top of it; I hunt and search for everything because I just toss stuff around. Does the state of my home desk have anything to do with my performance at my job?

My desk at work is pristine and well-ordered; everything is filed immediately, I know where everything is. One has nothing to do with the other.
If you have two equally qualified candidates and one can manage their personal life better than the other, who would you pick?

Quote:
Just as common as it is for people with good credit to steal from the company?
Thank you for completely avoiding the question by raising an irrelevant point. Let me ask again, is it common to ruin credit by making poor financial decisions? It is a yes or no question.

Quote:
Or, you could assume that I have higher standards than you do, and don't want to work for a company that hires based on irrelevant practices and invades people's privacy.
lol, easy there sport. I hope you never have to be in a position to hire anyone. Hiring managers have the burden of investing tens of thousands of dollars into employees who could potentially bring an entire company to it's knees. They don't have the luxury of assuming the best in people. They HAVE to make decisions based on data, statistics, and yes, sometimes generalities. Life is not puppies and unicorns and believe it or not, everyone is not 100% honest.

Quote:
Golly -- I may never have been hired for my first real job, then: bank teller at the age of 19. I had one year of college under my belt and ... no credit record at all.
No credit for a 19 year old is a bit different than a 42 year old with a history of gambling every paycheck away, isn't it?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
My late dad owned a home and a commercial lot with a business he operated on it.

Parents decided to visit Europe for a vacation. He applied at the bank for a credit card instead of taking Cash. They turned him down because he had NO paying credit record. Now dad always paid Cash for his parts (mechanic owned shop) and did have one weekly account. Paid Cash for a New Cad at Beverly Hills Cad dealer....still they refused him. Dad was a little teed off as his entegrity was beyond reproach but still NO CC in hand.

A person has to be indebted his whole life to survive in todays society. Your worthness is NIL unless you have some CC in your wallet and paying high interest rates.

Foul up the credit for some idiotic reason and your up the creek without a paddle.

Bad or Poor Credit...SORRY, were NOT interested in hiring you.
This is such a good point. Even people who have a credit card but pay the balance off monthly have their credit scores suffer because they don't make long-term, consistent payments that come from carrying a balance. It cracks me up that we have this secret, proprietary "scoring system" that is apparently used as a barometer on our worth as human beings, but so few question its fairness, its common sense, its logic, or even its very existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment