Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM

304 posts, read 745,232 times

Advertisements

Mike:

My husband is 37 and just went back to school for lab technologist. That differs from technician in that it is a bachelors degree - the associate's is technician. It has good career prospects and is good for a certain personality type. However it is a tremendous amount of school work depending on what classes or degree you already have under yourt belt. My husband had no sciences so he is up to his ears in chemistry and calculus and microbiology and studies all the time, literally as good grades are important. to him and us this is worth the effort and he likes it. Something to think about. If you are truly interested in the medical field, you can get an AA as a lab technician but it pays less than lab technologist, if you already have a bachelors you are just a potential few classes away from a bachelors certificate in lab technology, paying better. Mind you if you do not have an inclination toward math and the sciences the school work may present as too overwhelming. I think you should go for it, whatever it may be. unless you are truly ready to "retire" mentally and physically you may feel great having a reason so to speak, to get up everyday and excercise your brain. Whatever you decide, best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Mike:

My husband is 37 and just went back to school for lab technologist. That differs from technician in that it is a bachelors degree - the associate's is technician. It has good career prospects and is good for a certain personality type. However it is a tremendous amount of school work depending on what classes or degree you already have under yourt belt. My husband had no sciences so he is up to his ears in chemistry and calculus and microbiology and studies all the time, literally as good grades are important. to him and us this is worth the effort and he likes it. Something to think about. If you are truly interested in the medical field, you can get an AA as a lab technician but it pays less than lab technologist, if you already have a bachelors you are just a potential few classes away from a bachelors certificate in lab technology, paying better. Mind you if you do not have an inclination toward math and the sciences the school work may present as too overwhelming. I think you should go for it, whatever it may be. unless you are truly ready to "retire" mentally and physically you may feel great having a reason so to speak, to get up everyday and excercise your brain. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Thank you. I think at my age, becoming a baker might be the better choice for me, but I am still considering my choices.

Yes, the lab technologist has greater responsibility and performs more complex testing than the technician does, and receives greater pay. The technician and the technologist both have peoples lives in their hands and so it can be very stressful, but also very rewarding. I would think that the technologist has greater job security than the technician has.

I wish your husband success in achieving his goal.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
As to the notion of a "cut off point" at which people can acquire new knowledge or change careers - I say NONSENSE - there is no cut off point. People should and do learn through out the life span.

This keeps people healthy in both body and mind!

All kinds of discrimination do exist, and it is foolish to think that it does not. "Age" is one of the types of discrimination that does exist, but there is so much morbid obesity out there - in people under 35- that I am sure they feel discrimination as well!
My point is not to bash the morbidly obese, but to say that it is important to keep healthy and active for your self - not just if you are looking for a job - it couldn't hurt!

There are also some professions and careers where "a little snow on the roof" may actually be an asset - therapist, clergy person, college instructor to name a few.

My father took up down hill skiing at 64! He is 81 now and had he listened to the nay sayers, he would have missed over 20 years of fun on the slopes! He is out there now as I write.

Why should someone who is in their fifties have any problems standing on there feet? That's crazy.

To the OP "follow your bliss!" If being a pastry chef will make you happy do it! If I were purchasing baked goods, the age of the baker would mean nothing to me!

Our local community college has two programs in baking - one offers an associate degree and the other a certificate. They both do internships which can lead to jobs.

Best of luck!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:01 PM

84 posts, read 241,507 times
Default At 66 in colloege

I am 66 and graduate in Feb. 2012 in my 5th term, the last 4 I carried a 4.0 hopefully can dothe sam in the 5th term. Also applied for 40 credits for experimential learning and was awarded 35. I will gtraduate in Feb 2012, the portfolio developement class cut 7.5 months off my 2 years and I save 18,000. Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Is it foolish to think that in your late 50's you could go back to school and get a 2 or 4 year degree, and then at around 60 or so, begin a new career perhaps as a chemistry lab technician, or a medical lab technician, or a pharmacy technican? Any informed opinions on the matter? I had thought I might go back to school and get a degree in pastry arts and become a baker, but decided against it. I've been retired for the last 5 years and sometimes think about working again. I'm just curious about what people think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment