Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times

Advertisements

Is it just to save money? Or, is there greater reasoning for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Pretty much just money, ease of interviewing, stuff like that.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
There are also issues with hiring out of state candidates that never move.

If you got 10 people ready to be your secretary locally, why bother with a secretary 300 miles away?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There are also issues with hiring out of state candidates that never move.

If you got 10 people ready to be your secretary locally, why bother with a secretary 300 miles away?
I understand that for jobs where you have a million people applying.

I had a phone interview today, I was the only out of state candidate (out of 12 total, that they narrowed it down). They asked if I would be willing to fund my own travel for the interview and relocation, and I said I would entertain the idea. They said they wanted to interview the local candidates first, and they would keep me on hand. I guess I can see their reasoning as it is an Entry Level position (I have close to 4 years experience, however).

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

180 posts, read 378,330 times
Because the commute unless the candidate is willing to move immediately.

Depending on the field, desperate companies may not care. I get bugged like crazy by recruiters for positions 2-3 hours north of me.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
No relocation budget?

Budgetary reasons? (Recruiting can get pretty expensive!)

Generally, a local candidate can start the job sooner. Someone from another state might not be able to start for a month or longer. Last time we hired someone from out of state, it was four months before he could move (he worked remotely most of the time, but we flew him out every month for a week and put him up in a hotel each time, so we could get face-time with the team.)

Old 01-27-2014, 05:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
I lived in Vermont for a while, and this was standard hiring practice. They knew that anyone who just moved there has a high probability of not lasting too long. Im sure this would be true in any state that has extreme weather or anything else not seen as 'normal'.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
A local candidate has most likely made a commitment to their current geographical location

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I think that companies are probably more likely to hire out of state when the position requires specialized skills that they may not be able to find locally, it is more likely that those positions are mid level or higher but it could also be entry level. I'm currently interviewing for a job out of state for a mid level position that a little research showed had been initially posted about 3 months before I applied. I applied on LinkedIn and was contacted the next day to set up the initial screening interview. The interview process has be lengthy (3 phone interviews and an upcoming in person interview) the company hasn't given me the indication that my being out of state is a problem, in fact the recruiter mentioned that there would be some money available for relocation before I could even ask.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think that companies are probably more likely to hire out of state when the position requires specialized skills that they may not be able to find locally, it is more likely that those positions are mid level or higher but it could also be entry level. I'm currently interviewing for a job out of state for a mid level position that a little research showed had been initially posted about 3 months before I applied. I applied on LinkedIn and was contacted the next day to set up the initial screening interview. The interview process has be lengthy (3 phone interviews and an upcoming in person interview) the company hasn't given me the indication that my being out of state is a problem, in fact the recruiter mentioned that there would be some money available for relocation before I could even ask.
Awesome, good luck. Yes, my job title is rather rare, so I have found that moving around is pretty much a given for me. I can't even locate another position in my current area with the same job title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search