Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times

Advertisements

If I can make more money someplace else, and you're not gonna match it, so long.

You can fire me anytime and you have all of the power to do so, but always remember.....I don't need approval or have to crunch numbers and participate in a meeting to decide who goes and who stays. I can decide now.

Cut my pay or bennies? Don't get butt hurt if I look elsewhere.

I'm not entitled to a job here and in the same breath, you don't own me.

I don't like the policy changes. I'm not gonna whine or try to change 'em. I'm just gonna leave.

In this day and age, it's not only common to change jobs frequently, it's also common that folks change CAREERS.

Let's face it.

It's doubtful that a kid fresh out of high school or college is gonna stay at the same place 'til retirement. It just doesn't happen anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Well, I'm 26 and have been in my current profession for almost 5 years now, nothing else. I don't like it though. Career changes are hard to do in a bad economy, because there are too many people who are already more qualified for the job than a career changer would be.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM

355 posts, read 869,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
If I can make more money someplace else, and you're not gonna match it, so long.

You can fire me anytime and you have all of the power to do so, but always remember.....I don't need approval or have to crunch numbers and participate in a meeting to decide who goes and who stays. I can decide now.

Cut my pay or bennies? Don't get butt hurt if I look elsewhere.

I'm not entitled to a job here and in the same breath, you don't own me.

I don't like the policy changes. I'm not gonna whine or try to change 'em. I'm just gonna leave.

In this day and age, it's not only common to change jobs frequently, it's also common that folks change CAREERS.

Let's face it.

It's doubtful that a kid fresh out of high school or college is gonna stay at the same place 'til retirement. It just doesn't happen anymore.
Amen!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Even some old guys like me have changed careers. I worked for 17 years in utilities, then another 17 as owner of a sign business. No I'm in my second year in commercial real estate.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM

I had an interview some years ago......at the time, I averaged about 5 years per job. He remarked about that and I knew that he wasn't gonna hire me.

Kinda funny cuz the red flags would go up with me if a potential new hire had 10 -15 years on the job and all of a sudden he was prepared to leave.

Something must've happened, eh?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Even some old guys like me have changed careers. I worked for 17 years in utilities, then another 17 as owner of a sign business. No I'm in my second year in commercial real estate.
You, my friend, have lots of experience doing different things.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I'm 26 and have been in my current profession for almost 5 years now, nothing else. I don't like it though. Career changes are hard to do in a bad economy, because there are too many people who are already more qualified for the job than a career changer would be.
Hmmmm.

you put a different spin on things. I didn't think about that.

I just figured that career changes would be more prevalent during an economic downturn.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
More power to you. Just don't be upset when a potential employer doesn't like you frequent job hopping.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
More power to you. Just don't be upset when a potential employer doesn't like you frequent job hopping.
I think the point of the OP's post is very clear: Who cares.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think the point of the OP's post is very clear: Who cares.
Who cares about a new potential employer? I'm pretty sure the OP is going to need one of those if the intention is to actually hop to a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment