Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 9,697 times

Advertisements

I work in a call center. I listen to calls of the employees and grade their calls in order to ensure they follow company processes and provide them feedback on improving. The team I was on at the time is a jealous bunch who created unnecessary drama. I was listening to calls for a person and ended up coming across a call of this person and their supervisor.

Let me start by saying, yes, it was wrong of me to even continue listening to the call, but with the drama and backstabbing, I had a feeling this person was talking about me behind my back...and I was right.

I listened to the call to hear this person and the supervisor talk about how another team member was a fat cow and such and how another co-worker liked people of the same sex and so she would like a person on the team, etc etc. Being the honest person that I am, I felt horrible for these people who were talked about and I told the person about being called a fat cow. She was pissed obviously and I felt bad, which is why I told her. The only reason that I even mentioned anything was not to hurt the person, but to let her know this person pretending to be her "friend" was talking crap about her - not just that, but this is NOT an appropriate call for a supervisor and their agent to have during a so-called work related "coaching" session. After the fact, I realized I should have shut my stupid mouth, but I felt that the person should know what was said about her. Boy, was I wrong.

I've since been promoted to a higher position and listen to calls as part of my job. I think the people involved in the previous situation applied for this same job and didn't get it, so now, 4 months after this phone call was listened to and I told her about the call, the issue has again risen to the surface and has been brought to my manager's manager.

This happened 4 months ago! The person who said this left the company and found another job somewhere else (her choice). I believe this is all surfacing only because of jealousy and the need to be a backstabbing you know what. When the manager's manager called me, I fessed up and was 100% honest with what happened and when asked why I continued listening to the call, I was honest - I don't know and there was no reason for me to and I know that it was wrong of me. And as soon as I told the person that was talked about, I wish I could have taken it back because I had a feeling this would happen. Now that I'm in the position I'm in, I strongly believe this person was jealous because the person was heard stating, "so and so said she was having nightmares that Jane got the job". So, that just goes to show this person doesn't want me in the role I am in, I've known for a while she's wanted this position and has yet to get it and I think because I did and she didn't, she's now bringing this 4 month old issue to the surface, stating she's "concerned" I'm going to listen to calls of her and her supervisor while they are coaching - which I wouldn't. Again, I'm honest and admit I made a mistake, and not only should I have not listened to the call, but I should not have told anyone anything after I did. I can't take it back and all I can do is let it go....

Here's my question...
What can I do to rebuild my reputation and regain trust of my co-workers?
What can I tell my manager about how I will work to regain the trust of my co-workers and rebuild my reputation?

This conversation happened last week and I have to wait til this next week to find out what my fate will be. It seems that the corporate world is against me. I'm one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, but it always comes back to bite me in the a$$. So, my lesson learned is trust nobody else when it comes to telling them anything that you don't want everyone else in the company to know. I flat out asked if I'd be terminated for this and the answer was that this person will do all they can to help me, can't make any guarantees, but they'll try. I don't agree it's fair to terminate me for this - everyone deserves a second chance. Again, it was 4 months ago and I have not done anything like this since and I have kept business business and that's the way it will be for as long as I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Cool I'm curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyWorkersLie View Post
I work in a call center. I listen to calls of the employees and grade their calls in order to ensure they follow company processes and provide them feedback on improving. The team I was on at the time is a jealous bunch who created unnecessary drama. I was listening to calls for a person and ended up coming across a call of this person and their supervisor.

Let me start by saying, yes, it was wrong of me to even continue listening to the call, but with the drama and backstabbing, I had a feeling this person was talking about me behind my back...and I was right.

I listened to the call to hear this person and the supervisor talk about how another team member was a fat cow and such and how another co-worker liked people of the same sex and so she would like a person on the team, etc etc. Being the honest person that I am, I felt horrible for these people who were talked about and I told the person about being called a fat cow. She was pissed obviously and I felt bad, which is why I told her. The only reason that I even mentioned anything was not to hurt the person, but to let her know this person pretending to be her "friend" was talking crap about her - not just that, but this is NOT an appropriate call for a supervisor and their agent to have during a so-called work related "coaching" session. After the fact, I realized I should have shut my stupid mouth, but I felt that the person should know what was said about her. Boy, was I wrong.

I've since been promoted to a higher position and listen to calls as part of my job. I think the people involved in the previous situation applied for this same job and didn't get it, so now, 4 months after this phone call was listened to and I told her about the call, the issue has again risen to the surface and has been brought to my manager's manager.

This happened 4 months ago! The person who said this left the company and found another job somewhere else (her choice). I believe this is all surfacing only because of jealousy and the need to be a backstabbing you know what. When the manager's manager called me, I fessed up and was 100% honest with what happened and when asked why I continued listening to the call, I was honest - I don't know and there was no reason for me to and I know that it was wrong of me. And as soon as I told the person that was talked about, I wish I could have taken it back because I had a feeling this would happen. Now that I'm in the position I'm in, I strongly believe this person was jealous because the person was heard stating, "so and so said she was having nightmares that Jane got the job". So, that just goes to show this person doesn't want me in the role I am in, I've known for a while she's wanted this position and has yet to get it and I think because I did and she didn't, she's now bringing this 4 month old issue to the surface, stating she's "concerned" I'm going to listen to calls of her and her supervisor while they are coaching - which I wouldn't. Again, I'm honest and admit I made a mistake, and not only should I have not listened to the call, but I should not have told anyone anything after I did. I can't take it back and all I can do is let it go....

Here's my question...
What can I do to rebuild my reputation and regain trust of my co-workers?
What can I tell my manager about how I will work to regain the trust of my co-workers and rebuild my reputation?

This conversation happened last week and I have to wait til this next week to find out what my fate will be. It seems that the corporate world is against me. I'm one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, but it always comes back to bite me in the a$$. So, my lesson learned is trust nobody else when it comes to telling them anything that you don't want everyone else in the company to know. I flat out asked if I'd be terminated for this and the answer was that this person will do all they can to help me, can't make any guarantees, but they'll try. I don't agree it's fair to terminate me for this - everyone deserves a second chance. Again, it was 4 months ago and I have not done anything like this since and I have kept business business and that's the way it will be for as long as I work.
What sort of company hires people to sit and listen in on private conversations between counselors and employees? And...you should have been fired on the spot for what you did! The corporate world may seem like they hate you because you are nosey and butt-in where you shouldn't. Good luck w/the Unemployment benefits.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
The corporate world isn't against you. You are against you. The only person you should be angry with is yourself. Honestly you deserve to be fired. Be happy it took as long as it did.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,709,148 times
You broke a work rule and you might be discharged over this. It will be fair to fire you because you were foolish or immature by repeating what you had heard. This demonstrates poor judgement and if you were in my chain of command I would demote you. Four months ago is not that long ago. As your supervisor, I would want you in a lower level position for a longer period of time before I felt you were seasoned enough to move up to a more responsible position. The best thing you can do at this point is to keep your nose clean and do your job exactly as you should. Don't allow yourself to get involved in any office drama or gossip.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
What sort of company hires people to sit and listen in on private conversations between counselors and employees? And...you should have been fired on the spot for what you did! The corporate world may seem like they hate you because you are nosey and butt-in where you shouldn't. Good luck w/the Unemployment benefits.
Agreed, I have years of experience in call centers and you would have been fired on the spot for what you did.

You should have immediately pulled yourself off the call once you realized who was on it, and if you heard anything inappropriate in that time you should have reported it to your own superiors, not going and telling the people who were being talked about.

You created drama and a toxic situation. In my honest opinion I don't think there's anything you can do to regain the trust of your coworkers or improve your reputation.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
I'd start looking for a new job.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,554,169 times
I already learned not to do this from an internship. The person you thought you were helping may have reported you themselves.

This was not your problem. You should have stayed out of it.

PS. This is why people are apathetic.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,994,656 times
I agree with Hopes.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 PM

11 posts, read 9,697 times
The position I was in was the same level position as the other employees. I was asked to monitor a call for the supervisor because they were too lazy to do their own job. I know it was wrong of me and I flippin admitted it. It was stupid to stay on and immature of me to do. I'm not denying that. I am; however, a responsible person and you all say fire me or what not, but you all have done things you shouldn't have done - at least I can admit it. Step 1 - admit the problem. . . I guess those of you who are putting me down have NEVER IN YOUR LIVES DONE ANYTHING YOU REGRETTED LATER - right, and pigs fly....

Instead of judging me, which is NOT WHY I POSTED here, I'm looking for advice. Again, I've admitted it was a mistake and moved past it. I was not in a position at that time that was at a level other than these people. Yes, I should have reported it to the supervisor and looking back, I know that's what I should have done. I reacted on emotion, not on logic, responsibility, and business ethics.

To those of you being *******s in your responses, just think your judgment day will come and when you are at the gates of heaven waiting to get in, remember you put others down for their mistakes as if you have never made any of your own mistakes....I'll be redeemed and forgiven as I admit my sins...you will be at the gates of hell and I'll be waiving with my cabana boy serving me drinks....

Anyone responsible enough to be an adult, act professional, and provide professional advice, I'm looking for your opinion. And again, those of you who have done NO WRONG ever and never, ever, ever regretted anything you did ... keep your nose out of it.

I'm sorry for what I did, I was sorry for it the same day it happened...that's not an issue. I'm a very conscientious person, ethical, and responsible, but as I said, I made a judgment mistake, bad call on my part, and I'm trying to right the wrong. If those people involved don't forgive me, they don't. I will try and it won't be for lack of trying because that's the kind of person I am.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,554,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyWorkersLie View Post
The position I was in was the same level position as the other employees. I was asked to monitor a call for the supervisor because they were too lazy to do their own job. I know it was wrong of me and I flippin admitted it. It was stupid to stay on and immature of me to do. I'm not denying that. I am; however, a responsible person and you all say fire me or what not, but you all have done things you shouldn't have done - at least I can admit it. Step 1 - admit the problem. . . I guess those of you who are putting me down have NEVER IN YOUR LIVES DONE ANYTHING YOU REGRETTED LATER - right, and pigs fly....

Instead of judging me, which is NOT WHY I POSTED here, I'm looking for advice. Again, I've admitted it was a mistake and moved past it. I was not in a position at that time that was at a level other than these people. Yes, I should have reported it to the supervisor and looking back, I know that's what I should have done. I reacted on emotion, not on logic, responsibility, and business ethics.

To those of you being *******s in your responses, just think your judgment day will come and when you are at the gates of heaven waiting to get in, remember you put others down for their mistakes as if you have never made any of your own mistakes....I'll be redeemed and forgiven as I admit my sins...you will be at the gates of hell and I'll be waiving with my cabana boy serving me drinks....

Anyone responsible enough to be an adult, act professional, and provide professional advice, I'm looking for your opinion. And again, those of you who have done NO WRONG ever and never, ever, ever regretted anything you did ... keep your nose out of it.

I'm sorry for what I did, I was sorry for it the same day it happened...that's not an issue. I'm a very conscientious person, ethical, and responsible, but as I said, I made a judgment mistake, bad call on my part, and I'm trying to right the wrong. If those people involved don't forgive me, they don't. I will try and it won't be for lack of trying because that's the kind of person I am.

You sound like the contractor with weed and alcohol problems I had to let go a month ago. Or Charlie Sheen. Winning!

PS. And by let go, I mean get rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment