Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times

Advertisements

I took a part time temporary job to help my friends out at the staffing agency until they can find someone to take the job full time. I have to leave at 3PM in order to pick up my child from school. The usual backup receptionist is going to be out of the office this week so the other backup (they work in other departments but have been trained to do the job) is filling in. The job is literally a cake walk. I answer the phone and transfer the call to the correct person, open mail and then give it to the right people, and that's it. The usual backup goes around at 4:30 and picks up all the outgoing mail from all the different departments. It's typically either in large brown envelopes or it's already stamped and addressed and sitting out ready to be picked up.

Before I left today I let the other backup know that the outgoing mail needed to be picked up at 4:30. She comes back with "I don't know how to do that". At first I was stunned... I mean, how difficult can it be to walk around and pick up outgoing mail? Don't know where it is? Well, then ask someone. I proceed to tell her that I always leave at 3PM and have never actually done it before, but that I'm guessing all you have to do is walk around to each department and just check to see if they have any outgoing mail.

She looks at me like she's completely confused. So I try to explain that the big brown envelopes that we use to send things to other locations need to be picked up from other departments along with any other outgoing mail they might have. If she can't find it or doesn't know where it is then she can just ask someone since there are usually employees everywhere in all the departments.

At this point she gets upset with me because this is "my job", despite the fact that her manager knew from day ONE that I was not a long term solution and that I would be leaving at 3PM EVERYDAY. I'm only there to help man the phones (which are relatively busy). Picking up the outgoing mail is not my job. Additionally, this girl (along with a huge portion of the rest of the staff) spends the majority of their day walking around the building talking to their work buddies and not actually working. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with irate customers because they've left voicemails, left messages with me (which I always promptly deliver), and are still unable to get in contact with these people for days. The majority of employees don't seem capable of multi-tasking and almost NO ONE returns phone calls.

It's awful... I can't wait until they find someone full time.

Anyway, please tell me it isn't just me, that picking up mail isn't really something that should have to be explained in such detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Is she a natural blonde-couldn't resist, sorry?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Believe me, it happens more times then you think. Alot of people have no common sense. They need someone to explain the simplest tasks.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Believe me, it happens more times then you think. Alot of people have no common sense. They need someone to explain the simplest tasks.

Yet, they get hired after job interviews and a selection process. . . .

Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I don't know, part of me is thinking she just played stupid because she didn't want to do it. Maybe she doesn't care that it just makes her look even more like an incompetent idiot.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Yet, they get hired after job interviews and a selection process. . . .
And I don't.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And I don't.
Me either

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Yes, I think this is extremely prevalent in the workforce, strangely enough. But these same people will tell everyone they know that they are experts in their field and how they have several years of experience. Just goes to show you that many people have a bloated image of themselves.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I took a part time temporary job to help my friends out at the staffing agency until they can find someone to take the job full time. I have to leave at 3PM in order to pick up my child from school. The usual backup receptionist is going to be out of the office this week so the other backup (they work in other departments but have been trained to do the job) is filling in. The job is literally a cake walk. I answer the phone and transfer the call to the correct person, open mail and then give it to the right people, and that's it. The usual backup goes around at 4:30 and picks up all the outgoing mail from all the different departments. It's typically either in large brown envelopes or it's already stamped and addressed and sitting out ready to be picked up.

Before I left today I let the other backup know that the outgoing mail needed to be picked up at 4:30. She comes back with "I don't know how to do that". At first I was stunned... I mean, how difficult can it be to walk around and pick up outgoing mail? Don't know where it is? Well, then ask someone. I proceed to tell her that I always leave at 3PM and have never actually done it before, but that I'm guessing all you have to do is walk around to each department and just check to see if they have any outgoing mail.

She looks at me like she's completely confused. So I try to explain that the big brown envelopes that we use to send things to other locations need to be picked up from other departments along with any other outgoing mail they might have. If she can't find it or doesn't know where it is then she can just ask someone since there are usually employees everywhere in all the departments.

At this point she gets upset with me because this is "my job", despite the fact that her manager knew from day ONE that I was not a long term solution and that I would be leaving at 3PM EVERYDAY. I'm only there to help man the phones (which are relatively busy). Picking up the outgoing mail is not my job. Additionally, this girl (along with a huge portion of the rest of the staff) spends the majority of their day walking around the building talking to their work buddies and not actually working. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with irate customers because they've left voicemails, left messages with me (which I always promptly deliver), and are still unable to get in contact with these people for days. The majority of employees don't seem capable of multi-tasking and almost NO ONE returns phone calls.

It's awful... I can't wait until they find someone full time.

Anyway, please tell me it isn't just me, that picking up mail isn't really something that should have to be explained in such detail.
LOL. Maybe you had to give her the definition of "outgoing"? Sounds like a winner, that one.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
People who brag about how much they know, or how much money they make on a consistent basis are usually complete dumbasses when asked a point blank question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment