Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am an RN currently licensed in Ohio and Michigan. I have been an RN for over 20 years and have experience in Med/Surg inpatient hospital nursing (10 years, floating to various units but no critical care), long term care nursing (1 year), and hospice nursing (1 year). The rest of that time I have been home with my kids.

I currently work part-time in a retirement community and rotate between a regular LTC unit and an alzheimer's LTC unit. The staffing is not the greatest, and I am on my feet passing meds for 8 1/2 hours straight every time I work, which is beating up my middle aged body, lol. Also, the facility where I work is half an hour from my house and I live in Michigan, so this involves driving in ice and snow part of the year...yuck!

Sooo...there is a Fresenius dialysis facility in the small town where I live, actually right around the corner from my house. I have experience working on a renal unit when I floated as a hospital nurse, but other than that, I don't have any renal experience. I would absolutely LOVE to work at that facility. I always liked my renal patients and felt like renal nursing might be a good place for me. Fresenius has advertised a couple of times for staff nurses in some of their locations in my area, and I have applied twice (the second time was just today), but I didn't get a call the first time and I don't anticipate a call this time, since I have never worked dialysis or exclusively in a renal unit. I am a fast learner and a hard worker. What can I do to get a chance to work for Fresenius, or at least get them to consider me? Does anyone here work for them, and if so, do I have any chance at all in your opinion? Are they hard to get into? The ad said "ICU experience preferred"--does that mean (reading between the lines) "we won't consider you if you don't have critical care experience?" I am more than willing to get the extra training that their ad says that they require, and the ad sounds like they provide it once they hire you. Does anyone know for sure about that? I have my BLS now but would gladly get my ACLS if that would help. I checked into getting certified as a renal nurse, but you have to have a certain amount of experience on a renal unit before you can take the exam. I can't seem to get a hospital job right now because there is an influx of nurses in my area and I haven't worked in a hospital since 2003 and they all want someone with "current" hospital experience.

Can anyone suggest anything for me? I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment