Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's been reported at around that rate for a while now. That's reality.
dont buy it, I have 2 degrees and an MBA after 4 months, so far nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
dont buy it, I have 2 degrees and an MBA after 4 months, so far nothing
Well I guess you'd be one of the people that makes it not 100% then.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well I guess you'd be one of the people that makes it not 100% then.
still I dont buy it, It's worse out there than people think. I know people( family) out of work 6 monthsand still looking so far with 23 experience in their field

I know engineers bagging groceries, after 9 months of looking ( cousins)

Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
And I know dozens of people (family and friends) with college degrees who are employed. There, see how easy that is?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Quote:
still I dont buy it, It's worse out there than people think. I know people( family) out of work 6 monthsand still looking so far with 23 experience in their field

I know engineers bagging groceries, after 9 months of looking ( cousins)
I know no one from college that doesn't have a job. Personal examples don't really hold much weight when you are talking about a huge population like this.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,060 times
Quote:
I know no one from college that doesn't have a job. Personal examples don't really hold much weight when you are talking about a huge population like this.
You are either very lucky, or know few college graduates who are unemployed. They are out there, there are many of us out there. I personally have been looking for work for almost 8 months now, its getting really discouraging, and hard to even get an interview.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM

219 posts, read 541,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
And I know dozens of people (family and friends) with college degrees who are employed. There, see how easy that is?
Boeher? John Boehner? Is that you?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,837 times
I think people/the media/etc are making the post-grad job hunt very black and white, meaning according to most, after a set amount of time, a college graduate either finds a job or doesn't, and the contributing factor is the economy, when in actuality there are many other points to consider. Some of these points include the grad's job searching technique; how is he/she searching for job? Are they using the right resources, actively networking, etc? The second thing to consider is prior experience; does this grad already have experience in the field that he/she obtained from internships or jobs that will give them the cutting edge over someone who only earned their degree and is now looking for jobs with no relevant experience?

I believe that these are all things that need to be considered when discussing the post-grad job hunt.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
you're really naive, you don't know what's going on, and your personal examples don't hold much weight either

Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Quote:
you're really naive, you don't know what's going on, and your personal examples don't hold much weight either
You are right. Personal examples are so small they don't hold weight. You clearly missed my point which was exactly that by me saying all my friends from college have jobs to show your personal example means very little.

4.5% nationally does though. You may chose not to believe it since you don't have a job but that is the reality overall for college graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment