Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes.
For the average American it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightee View Post
Depends on his circumstances, does it not? He has no kids, no mortgage, etc. so a single person could live on that comfortably.
How?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
For the average American it's not.
I agree. But that doesn't make quitting your job a good choice with inadequate funds.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Did you major in the wrong thing?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,517 times
Cool Have Fun When You Aren't Working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Those are two reasons why I hate my job. I also am paranoid about getting fired even though I do a good job. I'm kind of quiet and don't fit in with the others. Co-workers really are the worst part about jobs.

What I am getting is a lack of satisfaction. Satisfaction can be found outside of work and can make the 8-5 grind much more bearable. The job is a means to an end and at 70K it is a nice means.

8:00 A.M. is better than working nights or swing shifts. People that work erratic, ever-changing schedules wreak havoc on themselves. If the hours are "normal" hours are not throwing off your bio-rhythms, then deal with it and be glad that you are making very good money for a young, single guys with no debt. .

Okay, this is a little off topic, but maybe you should buy a house. The prices won't get much better and with your income history, lack of debt, and savings, you'll have an easy approval process. You'll have stuff to do around the house to keep yourself busy with little satisfying projects. Then, you can invite friends, dates, family, and maybe even a couple of co-workers over for a barbecue or party. You might even discover a sense of satisfaction that comes from remodeling, landscaping, or just painting a fence. If you are anti-real estate, then find some hobbies that you like.

If your co-workers are bad, try to make at least one friend at work. Take cookies to work one day and put them in the break room with a note. Your work involves computers? Write "Have a byte." or something clever.

If your you are worried about your job security, then you need to talk to you boss. Say: "I want to do the best job that I can for this company. Would you have time to go over my strengths and weaknesses with me?"

Get a life! Seriously, most people are not thrilled to go to work, but they have fun while they are not at work. Go out with friends or on dates. Do things that you enjoy and take a vacation when you have earned it.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No, I wouldn't quit without acquiring a new job first. I'd find ways to enrich my life outside of work and learn to tolerate my job as a necessary evil.
I agree but in some cases part of why you hate the job is it gives you no time at all to enrich your life outside of work. In that case, if you have the resources, it may be worth quitting, but having that many resources given how long it takes nowadays to get a job is pretty rare.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Sometimes your job is so terrible, having a life outside of it is difficult, since you are on constant edge due to the stress and aggravation of having to deal with nonsense.

I speak from experience.

I once had a job so bad I would literally have a panic attack every night before work, and Sunday nights were so bad that I would often not get a wink of sleep due to anxiety.

Trust me, it's very hard to enjoy anything when you are feeling that bad.

I went on meds and gathered up the strength and found a new job that was so much better...Then of course, they had financial problems and laid me off and here I am again stuck in a miserable job.

Bottom line....it's never very smart to quit a job without having a new one lined up, but if your health or sanity is at risk, then you do what you have to do.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,299 times
I just don't see myself doing this for the next 30 years. There's no point. I've lost my motivation. Why suffer?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 6,516 times
Default Leave a job you hate or still lick your boss's ass?

Hi,
mostly people say "The rule is to never leave a job until you have a new one."
but i like that: "That said, rules are made to be broken."

What if you really hate your job? I mean, when you feel really bad, when the job you do is not worth that money you can get or that money are not worth your stress.
What if your skills and education is better than education of your boss and your boss things that he is a Gog and he does you upset. what when you have to do everything what you should not to do in this job, you can not be concentrated your work, what when you can not see your future.

When you feel you stoped, when company you work for is not the best idea, when you are so angry and whitout a power, when you dont smile, because you stoped do it...
...do you really wanna stand in that company, be affraid to say a thrue to your boss?
They use you, your skills and finaly the are happy, because they can get a lot of money for them self and you? they will pay you something, something that you will not be happy about.

I dont know can i say"he is a breave person, because he said - NO- to his boss...propably he is an idiots...but i belive that he feel free then

so the choise is yours. you can be a free idiots, or still lick your boss's ass!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM

79 posts, read 220,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No, I wouldn't quit without acquiring a new job first. I'd find ways to enrich my life outside of work and learn to tolerate my job as a necessary evil.

Best post of this thread in my opinion! Try doing what you enjoy outside of your job. I am thinking of exploring other options during my free time outside of the two jobs. Any $70,000 job would be a GREAT job to keep doing ESPECIALLY in this economy! OMG I don't make anywhere near that kind of money! In this lifetime, I would have to either start a successful business or receive a windfall to see that kind of money. OMG I work TWO jobs, and my annual income from those two jobs combined is NO where near what you make! Dude you really need to keep that job!

Last edited by redwineandpie; 06-08-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment