Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

I think there are other ways to measure work ethic besides a job.

I've never had a job and I hate it when people automatically label me as lazy for that reason.

I am set to graduate college a semester early and I'm taking summer classes for the 2nd summer in a row. It takes a certain level of work ethic to do what I do (going to college year round since Fall 2009).

I have 76 college credits. And I'm not even 20 yet.

A job is not the be all, end all to measure work ethic. There are lazy people with jobs.

Basically this thread is asking:

Do you agree with me that there are other ways to measure work ethic besides having a job?

or

Do you automatically label someone as lazy just because they don't work? What if they accomplish other non-job related stuff? Are those accomplishments meaningless to you?

And for that matter, do you think someone automatically has a work ethic just because they have a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Work ethic is the effort and commitment to one's work as a whole. Just showing up to work does not qualify. Some examples of strong work ethic..

Enthusiasm, and taking pride in one's work.

Desire to climb the ladder.'

Contributing to the overall success of one's self and the company they work for. Strong productivity.

Commitment to a job well done. (ex exemplary customer feedback, craftsmanship etc.)

Of course, it is easier if one is in a field of work they truly enjoy doing. my motto: Work hard, play hard, and stay hard! And never give up. if you want something, fight like a lion for it!

Brooklyn Boy approved!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Work ethic can be applied to volunteer work, helping out at home with chores, and even school work. Still, I don't know anyone else your age that has never had a job, in college or not. I wouldn't label you as lazy for that, just lucky, that you can afford that.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I think there are other ways to measure work ethic besides a job.
Okay.
Quote:
I've never had a job and I hate it when people automatically label me as lazy for that reason.
Quote:
I am set to graduate college a semester early and I'm taking summer classes for the 2nd summer in a row. It takes a certain level of work ethic to do what I do (going to college year round since Fall 2009).
Not really. Unless you're in engineering or something similar college is a cake walk.
Quote:
I have 76 college credits. And I'm not even 20 yet.
Okay.

Quote:
A job is not the be all, end all to measure work ethic. There are lazy people with jobs.
True, but there are lazy people in college too. Like most of them. I know I was.

Basically this thread is asking:

Quote:
Do you agree with me that there are other ways to measure work ethic besides having a job?
Sure. Do you volunteer? What demonstrates you are a responsible individual as opposed to the average college student who shows up to class most of the time, studies a few hours a week, and spends most of their time drinking and trying to get lucky with the coeds.
Quote:
Do you automatically label someone as lazy just because they don't work? What if they accomplish other non-job related stuff? Are those accomplishments meaningless to you?
Such as? Passing college classes with decent grades (3.0ish) means you're capable of doing the bare minimum. That's not meaningless but it doesn't make you stand out either. Are you making deans list every semester? Involved in some academic club? Volunteer or have a demonstrable hobby relevant to what line of work you think you might want to do?

Quote:
And for that matter, do you think someone automatically has a work ethic just because they have a job?
You assume they are capable of the bare minimum, just as you assume someone who graduates from college is. The difference is the person with work experience has experience. The person who graduated from college does not.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really. Unless you're in engineering or something similar college is a cake walk.
I'm not an engineering major. But if you think college is a cake walk, tell that to the people that failed out.

Quote:
Sure. Do you volunteer? What demonstrates you are a responsible individual as opposed to the average college student who shows up to class most of the time, studies a few hours a week, and spends most of their time drinking and trying to get lucky with the coeds.
I've volunteered in high school and college. I don't drink. I'm a virgin.

Quote:
Such as? Passing college classes with decent grades (3.0ish) means you're capable of doing the bare minimum. That's not meaningless but it doesn't make you stand out either. Are you making deans list every semester? Involved in some academic club? Volunteer or have a demonstrable hobby relevant to what line of work you think you might want to do?
I have a 3.6 GPA

Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM

I should include that I've applied to jobs, so it's not like my lack of experience is due to lack of effort

Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
So, what kind of jobs are you applying for after you graduate and what qualifications do do have?

Last edited by motormaker; 05-30-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
So, what kind of jobs are you applying for after you graduate and what qualifications do do have?
I don't know what the job market will be like when I graduate (Fall 2012), so I can't answer that question with certainty.

As for qualifications...I will have a degree to put on my resume after I graduate. That's better than nothing. I learned a skill and I am going to learn more about the skill.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
What skill is that?

Look, I don't mean to be an ass but you have to realize how empty a resume that consists of "High School X - 2008. B.A. PolySci, University Y - 2012. The End." looks to an employer.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What skill is that?

Look, I don't mean to be an ass but you have to realize how empty a resume that consists of "High School X - 2008. B.A. PolySci, University Y - 2012. The End." looks to an employer.
I graduated high school in 2009. I'm on the 3.5 year college plan. I think that's impressive, especially considering how some people take 5 or more years to graduate college.

I'm a Geography major and the skill is GIS.

Without going into too much detail, my current resume is not a blank page (despite my lack of experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment