Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
When people are forced to volunteer just so they can get a job, it's no longer volunteering, it's called slavery.
People are not forced, but some folks have to be productive members of society, and simply bring 2 working arms and legs as ones only qualifications is fine.in 1800. Not in 2012.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
Tons of experienced people are out of work. They number in the millions many have been out of work years. So they will take that entry level job for 10 to 12 bucks an hour. Younger people are then forced into often unpaid work as interns or volunteer work. I have worked as an intern temp and now a volunteer. Entry level jobs are disappearing in many fields and will not be coming back. Many more now sit overseas as well. Young workers may have to understand wages will be much lower for years to come. We subsidized poverty in the US often times for major corporations. Walmart is a walking poster child for this as are many others. As the low paying service jobs become even a bigger part of our economy you will see even more of this. People should be really mad about this but their not. And let us be real millions of young people are underemployed. How many skills are you gaining working year after year at Kmart?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Exactly. There are tons of desperate people who were laid off and have tons of experience. They will get the jobs first provided they haven't been out of work for TOO long. That will be the norm for a while, until the economy really turns around. In the mean time, all the out of work too longers and those just entering the job market will have to take whatever minimum wage job they can find.

And when the job market finally turns around, those who took the minimum wage jobs to not even pay the bills, but to pay some of the bills, will be passed over for the fresh graduates. I'd say the vast majority of jobs out there do NOT require a college degree. They require a certain amount of intelligence of aptitude and ability to learn, but not 4 years of college lectures in chemistry and philosophy and linear algebra. Those are not relevant to work unless you want to teach. Most of the skills needed are already possessed.

I love entry level jobs that require experience in software that is NEVER used outside of the job. There is no college course for this software, there is no for dummies book. There is just the job. The first time anyone has heard of this software, or this system, or this whatever, was when they saw the job ad. And yet people still manage. They didn't need to take a 16 week course on the software to use it.

I'm amazed we don't require a degree to let people drive a car.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
People are not forced, but some folks have to be productive members of society, and simply bring 2 working arms and legs as ones only qualifications is fine.in 1800. Not in 2012.
Yes and the fact that many of the recent grad don't seem to realize is that there are a lot of experienced workers in every field out there and the majority of the employers didn't guarantee any of you out there a job just for going to school, and the additional fact you don't have the required experience is not their responsibility either, there in business to make money not teach people, in the past when the jobs were plentiful is was a different story, now they can pick the cream of the crop and let the less then choice rot as long as they are making money . Thats why I keep saying think out side of the box when it comes to what you do for a LIVING.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 04-13-2012 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Yes and thefact that many of the recent grad don't seem to realize is that there are a lot of experenced workers in every field out there and the majority of the employers didn't guarente any of you out there a job just for going to school, and the additional fact you don't have the required experance is not their responcablity either, there in business to make money not teach people, in the past when the jobs were plentyful is was a different story, now they can pick the cream of the crop and let the less then choice rot as long as they are making money . Thats why I keep saying think out side of the box when it comes to what you do for a LIVING.
This i the problem. No one can get their foot in the door. No one new at least. All the jobs go to those who have been recently laid off, and even for them, they get lowballed as hell, getting paid entry level money for experienced work.

No one is willing to give anyone new an opportunity, and most everyone new, is unproven. But it's entry level, how difficult is it? None too much. There is no job on earth where you receive you real training.

Either it's something related to medicine where you definiately get training, something having to do with an apprenticeship, an internship, which is rare in the world of soft skilled office jobs, or people realize that while this job can't be performed by any lazy unmotivated loaf, it doesn't require 4 years of college to do it either.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
My rent in the projects for a shanty studio is $700/mo. That is as cheap as you'll ever find.
Move to the Houston area. I have a very nice one-bedroom apartment, 650 square feet, with granite counters and hardwood floors, built in 2009 that costs me EXACTLY $700 a month. I'm out in the suburbs, there is no crime here.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 AM

62 posts, read 732,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Exactly. There are tons of desperate people who were laid off and have tons of experience. They will get the jobs first provided they haven't been out of work for TOO long. That will be the norm for a while, until the economy really turns around. In the mean time, all the out of work too longers and those just entering the job market will have to take whatever minimum wage job they can find.

And when the job market finally turns around, those who took the minimum wage jobs to not even pay the bills, but to pay some of the bills, will be passed over for the fresh graduates. I'd say the vast majority of jobs out there do NOT require a college degree. They require a certain amount of intelligence of aptitude and ability to learn, but not 4 years of college lectures in chemistry and philosophy and linear algebra. Those are not relevant to work unless you want to teach. Most of the skills needed are already possessed.

I love entry level jobs that require experience in software that is NEVER used outside of the job. There is no college course for this software, there is no for dummies book. There is just the job. The first time anyone has heard of this software, or this system, or this whatever, was when they saw the job ad. And yet people still manage. They didn't need to take a 16 week course on the software to use it.

i know people who don't even have a car, they have to take the Bus to work or hitch a ride with somebody, and they are able to get jobs over people who do have a car because they have more experience, a person with a car is much more likely to be more reliable, dependable, not be late as to the person without a car

Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Move to the Houston area. I have a very nice one-bedroom apartment, 650 square feet, with granite counters and hardwood floors, built in 2009 that costs me EXACTLY $700 a month. I'm out in the suburbs, there is no crime here.
I have a similar setup in the Seattle/Tacoma suburbs.

Not too interested in buying a place here since a shack in the ghetto will cost you $300k, but renting is still pretty affordable.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
this is the great "catch 22", forget the bloody chicken and egg, this is the 22. Can't get hired unless I have experience yet how can I get experience if no one will hire me?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post

What software?

At any rate, I'll bet there are recent grads who do know that software because they learned it during their internship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment