Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is why I don't bother. I've seen this happen to co-workers and it seems so disrespectful. The co-workers gave two weeks notice to be considerate and they are told to leave.

So screw 'em. I just don't show up anymore. It has never affected my ability to get another job.
In my experience (and I'm sure there are exceptions) - you're still paid for those two weeks. So it really works out in the employee's favor as they basically get two weeks of paid vacation. Has more to do with either company policy or job role (mitigating risks) than being malicious.

Again, I'm sure there are situations where the employer probably took it personally and retaliated by 'firing' the outgoing employee... but I'd think that would be more an exception than the norm.

I also agree that two weeks notice should always be given. Most companies would understand that a new employee will need time to transition their current work - so that shouldn't be an issue in terms of negotiating a start date. And if it is an issue, I'd actually see that as a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Actually, it is. This isn't some burger flipping joint or a retail store. This is one of the largest health systems in the state and they have no problem finding employees.

Why bother letting someone stay an extra two weeks milking the payroll and not being productive? They know they're leaving, so they don't care what they do or how they do it..they are just there to waste time. I don't have time for that garbage.
Do you ask for two weeks notice in your employee handbook? If you are not willing to accept the 2 weeks notice you should put in there that no notice is required or accepted. To ask for it then screw them out of 2 weeks of pay is despicable and possible grounds for a lawsuit.

As for me my main fear is that if I do not give 2 weeks notice they can put me down as not eligible for rehire which is tantamount to a bad reference. That can cripple a job search.

I'd say if other workers give 2 weeks and it is accepted it is a good idea to do it. If not just give notice on the last day.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 10-17-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,228,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, they sure as hell wouldn't give you two weeks notice before firing you or laying you off.

I usually try to give two weeks notice but f I found a new job and they want me to start the next day, I would tell my old employer to shove it.
I wouldn't say that exactly. I got a 6 month lay off notice a while back. In my experience with giving 2 weeks, it caused me to have to train my replacement (small company) which was not only a pain in the butt, I didn't want to. I'm not a trainer nor did I receive training myself.

Unfortunately, it is one of those quirky job related things.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Do you ask for two weeks notice in your employee handbook? If you are not willing to accept the 2 weeks notice you should put in there that no notice is required or accepted.

As for me my main fear is that if I do not give 2 weeks notice they can put me down as not eligible for rehire which is tantamount to a bad reference. That can cripple a job search.

I'd say if other workers give 2 weeks and it is accepted it is a good idea to do it. If not just give notice on the last day.
That is the crutch of the original questrion ;no its not required by law but can have consequences.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,631,678 times
If only there was a phrase that applied to not giving two week's notice. Something about burning bridges would probably be applicable.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,455 times
I always give my best work during the two weeks of the notice, just like I do the rest of the time. If I gave a notice and they told me to leave right then and there, I'd file for unemployment if the new company wasn't ready for me yet.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
If they demand 2 weeks notice in the employment contract then fire you on the spot I would think that would be not only morally repugnant but good grounds for suing the employer for damages. The law takes a very dim view on inhibiting one's employment.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
no, 2 weeks isn't necessary, they pay you a salary to do a job, they are not buying loyalty.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,098,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No. But, it's a nice gesture.

We accept two week notices, but don't honor them. Once the notice has been handed over, you are asked to gather your things and quietly leave the building.
Nice.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It depends. Wuth any job much beyond flipping burgers if asked if you are eligable for rehire and the answer is no;your aplication is disregarded.Its no different than a friend telling you he work for them and they are not good to work for ;really.
I've left a few jobs in my time, some with notice some no notice. Only ONE has ever said anything about re-hire for which I was eligible. That was the last job I've ever had. Of course, a few of them I didn't give the opportunity of witnessing my escaping the hatch before the door shut. But considering my body of work, I have no choice but to assume I'm eligible for re-hire anywhere I've worked previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment