Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,200,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Oh, so by "travel" you meant commute? I initially thought you meant travelling to other regions which isn't such a bad thing, with per diems and all. Any reason why you didn't consider moving closer to where the job is?
No, I do mean travelling. Not commute.

Never the less. It's a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I don't know how you got so far in the interview process without clarifying your intent/desire for a certain percentage of travel? Seems like you wasted your time, or they wasted theirs?
No time was wasted. Mine nor there's.

Sometimes you're in a situation in which you think you'd like to be in than as time/the process goes on and careful thought, you realize it's not something you'd enjoy after all.

No harm done.

Last edited by Ron.; 11-01-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM

45,526 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Students, parents and colleagues often ask me why I didn't leave the classroom and go into administration (from the kids I sometimes do wonder the genesis of the question) even though I have the advanced degree for it.

The reasons were simple: the increase in pay didn't make up for the negatives of night games, Saturday football, crazy kids, crazier parents, endless meetings (which are bad enough as a teacher), and dealing with only the bad kids. The last is the dirty little secret of school administration.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,390,725 times
I was about to kick you until I read about the travel. I understand. I could not do anymore than 25% of the time. I used to travel for my old job only 5 times a year) and it was pretty lonely. I can't imagine being away 5 days a week or 50% travel.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I was about to kick you until I read about the travel. I understand. I could not do anymore than 25% of the time. I used to travel for my old job only 5 times a year) and it was pretty lonely. I can't imagine being away 5 days a week or 50% travel.
LOL........the 40% would have been nice indeed.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,853,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I'm currently employed but I always keep my resume out there.
Wouldn't you end up job hopping a lot if you're always applying to other jobs? From what I hear that's a big no-no to a lot of prospective employers.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Wouldn't you end up job hopping a lot if you're always applying to other jobs? From what I hear that's a big no-no to a lot of prospective employers.
Job hoping, no way........It's not like I accept every interview that comes my way and when I say Keep my resume out there, I'm essentailly saying I like to test the waters.

I don't apply for new jobs every day. I apply for positions that I think would be interesting.
It's only job hopping if you're taking every opportunity that is given to you and not sticking around. If you stay for 2 years in a gig that's good enough especialy if you're going from one gig to the next for a promotion. the job I interviewed for would have been another level up for me in terms of what kind of expereince I want on my resume.

I've been cought with my pants down at corporations before. Once you get burned once, you don't let in happen again.

I'm sorry but I'm always preapred to walk if I have to. I'm not at the mercy of any corporation.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
I went down in pay, to get away from constant travel, and working with a bully. Sometimes, the pay ain't worth a dime. Peace of mind=everything.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,489,389 times
I almost learned the same lesson the hard way. Myself and one other were the last two in the running for a promotion internally. The pay would have increased by about 30%. The other guy got the position. At first I was devastated, however today I am happy I did not. Watching how much he has to travel makes me thankful. With a 7 month old and my Wife who is trying to start her career, I would probably be heading to divorce if I had been offered the position.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,503 times
It sounds like you did the right thing. Personally I dont think that I would mind travel (never been in that situation so Im not positive). But if your dont think you will be happy then you wont.
Its good to keep your eyes open for a new job you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment