Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chem-grad View Post
I now want to go back to working as a chemist. But I am finding it very difficult to even find a $12-13 hr lab technician job because I have no QC experience.
All the QC jobs have been outsourced to a species of monkey in the Amazon.

Any way, why not med school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
I have a BS in chem. Then was doing my masters for 2 1/2 years but could not complete my thesis due to my non-cooperative supervisor. I have 6 credits of masters (course work related). But I am finding it very difficult to even find a $12-13 hr lab technician job because I have no QC experience. I am in Canada, Toronto BTW.

BTW I do not care too much about the pay (as long as it is decent) and I have a stable job and it is intellectually stimulating.
The pay is not decent, teaching is far more lucrative, stable, and with better benefits. I wouldn't be looking to get into chemistry. Most people including myself are looking to get out. The pay as you said averages $15 an hour, there are no benefits, most companies hire on a contract basis only. The job is also boring, unstimulating, and dead-end. Blue collar work would be preferable.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would start as an RN then move to PA-it may be more schooling but Fiyero is right-PA schools require at least 1000 hours of healthcare experience. I have reaearched healthcare careers because I'm getting ouy of my career-I'm burned out and sick of being treated like crap.
Bwaha, and do you think a health care career would be any different? You better have thick skin if your thinking of pursuing it...

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
If I'm reading this correctly ( your link) it says health care experience ( third point down)...
Yes, it's listed as a factor considered for admissions, not a requirement. Race/ethnicity is also listed as a factor, but it is obviously not a requirement. I checked out all of the PA schools in Texas and only one requires health care experience and it doesn't even list a number of hours.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
A previous poster pointed out what I would point out- if you're tired of being treated like crap, the healthcare field can be dead bang wrong. I'm not talking about the patients, I'm talking about co-workers and "management." FYI

Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
I have a BS in chem. Then was doing my masters for 2 1/2 years but could not complete my thesis due to my non-cooperative supervisor. I have 6 credits of masters (course work related). Then I went and got a BEd. Taught for 3 years in high school (chem). But teaching is incredibly stressful not to mention, you get abused everyday by students, parents as well as administrators. Have to put in 8-10 hours of work everyday but you are not learning anything new. I now want to go back to working as a chemist. But I am finding it very difficult to even find a $12-13 hr lab technician job because I have no QC experience. I am in Canada, Toronto BTW.
I don't know what to do...Should I go back to complete my masters or I am thinking of doing something in health-care (not likely to get outsourced) like physician assistant or nursing. Any advice? Oh BTW I am 32.
BTW I am afraid that even if do PA or nursing, by the time I graduate there might be an over-supply of these things also because health care seems to be only field which cannot get outsourced so all people are clamoring there.
BTW I do not care too much about the pay (as long as it is decent) and I have a stable job and it is intellectually stimulating.
I don't know about Canada but in some parts of the USA, RNs make nearly as much as physicians and don't have the malpractice costs. They still have large sign-on bonuses where there are shortages of nurses.

PA may like you say have an over-supply soon, it seems just about everyone is going into that field.

Have you thought about other fields like pharmacy, medical lab technologist? Or geologist? Environmental science? The governments are pouring a lot of money into alternative energy like solar power, and research into other forms of energy production.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A previous poster pointed out what I would point out- if you're tired of being treated like crap, the healthcare field can be dead bang wrong. I'm not talking about the patients, I'm talking about co-workers and "management." FYI

Really? Depends on where you work-know lots of nurses that all love the job..of course no place is perfect in my place of employment 4 people are doing the work of 8-they hire people with NO experience and no education-( they moved one person into our department because he is so stupid no one else wants him) expect us to train him and when he screws up well it's our fault-the director of our company told me a while back that I'm not supervisor material and I'll never MOVE up..even though I help my idiot manager run things ( I have since stopped doing this).

I want to go into healthcare first and foremost to help people-I'm service oriented. It will be nice to work with people that have the same education ( co workers)...

Plus where I work-it's the only company in my area that is in my field so they know this-the directors saying is "if you don't like where you work find another company"-then she smirks..I'm sure a lot of you know and understand what a toll it takes on your self -esteem to work somewhere where your employer treats people like crap and it's obvious...trust me in this economy I'm happy to have a job but I need to better myself- so to the OP I would go into PA-if the requirements are doable then go for it-( even though the schools I've looked at you MUST have 1080 hours of healthcare experience). Good luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't see why the entrance requirements for a PA program would need to be any different than medical school. Medical schools don't require any health care experience or even a health/science related degree. They actually prefer students from a variety of backgrounds. There is a university where I live that considers health care experience for admissions, but it's not required. It also considers other things like bilingualism and race/ethnicity. They're just factors that could help, not requirements.

Welcome Center - School of Health Professions - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio

While you might be right about the fancier schools requiring health care experience, I'm sure there are plenty of others that don't require it. I never implied that you don't need good test scores, good grades, or volunteer hours. Those things should be automatically assumed for just about any graduate program. Even most of the not-so-fancy schools require the GMAT, GRE, MAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc for a variety of degree programs.
PA schools require health care experience, because it's half as long as Med School, and no residency requirements. They want people who already have a grasp of the Medical profession. Medical School is far more academic in the beginning and spends many many more years doing the clinical side than PAs do. They teach you from the ground up. PA schools don't.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
PA schools require health care experience, because it's half as long as Med School, and no residency requirements. They want people who already have a grasp of the Medical profession. Medical School is far more academic in the beginning and spends many many more years doing the clinical side than PAs do. They teach you from the ground up. PA schools don't.
Like I said in a previous post, I checked the admissions requirements for all of the PA schools in Texas and only one requires health care experience. Would you like the links?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,522,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't know about Canada but in some parts of the USA, RNs make nearly as much as physicians and don't have the malpractice costs. They still have large sign-on bonuses where there are shortages of nurses.

LOL. are you joking me?

Sorry but there is no such thing as a nursing shortage. And I can tell you that many nursing grads these days are finding out that the grass is not as green as some made it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment