Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Haha, all this reminds me of an incident I saw. I was flying for a regional in the NW. Some guys are real curmudgeons with huge egos and have an 'it's my way or the highway' attitude which is not appreciated and is thankfully going the way of the dinosaurs thanks to better crm training. They get added to everybody's blacklist, get bid away from, people call in sick rather than fly with them, etc. Well we were at the gate, on a ramp where people deplane onto the ramp and then walk a short distance to the terminal. Out my side window I see one of these infamous ahole captains get out of the plane and he looked upset. The FO follows, and they were shouting at each other. The captain was flying off the handle and getting up in the guy's face. POW! He took one right to nose! He finally pushed someone too far. This happens more then you'd think! Unless someone had a demonstrated history of repeated problems, they weren't fired as hiring and training a replacement is so very expensive. Professional standards would send them to counseling, do some interpersonal skills and conflict resolution training, maybe they'd get some days off w/o pay.

When you're pent up in tight confines with an ahole for hours at a time, on looong days and for multiple-day trips, and sometimes for every trip over a month with that person, issues can fester and tempers can flare! People get on power trips and forget that, superior or not, you are just a human, dealing with humans, and all humans have emotions and expectations of treatment and respect, and everyone has a line that can be crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I can remember two times I was publicly chewed out by a supervisor. One was when my boss started screaming at me about taking a check from a customer. I honestly couldn't remember doing it, I knew we had a no check policy and I wouldn't have taken one. After he left and I was able to calm down, I realized the check had been taken on Sunday, my day off!

When he came in the next day, I told him he might want to check the schedule to see who was working before he decided to make accusations in the future, and that he obviously proved his ignorance by making a scene with me.

Then I walked out.

This was a temporary job in one of those mall kiosks that was only there for the Christmas season, and it was the Saturday before Christmas, in other words a madhouse. I was there by myself, and left him with no coverage on the busiest shopping day of the year.

I had another time that I worked for a major department store in a completely dysfunctional department. The assistant manager was absolutely nuts, and the manager was her puppet. She hated me and one of my coworkers. She was a bitter woman, very unattractive, and unable to have children. My coworker and I were both attractive and had young children, she just hated that fact. She made our lives hell.

Finally I got another job and quit. I went back in a year later and thanked her for being such a b*tch. I told her that because she was so impossible that I had found a great job that paid four times as much and had excellent benefits. And that it was too bad that her nasty ass would be stuck in a low level retail management job forever because she was a bitter cow. The look on her face was priceless.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
The good news is sometimes KARMA and direct reports come back to haunt abusers. About 20 some years back, at my 2nd professional job, my boss chewed out inappropriately a direct report of mine, who he also tried to fire. His boss had made it known to me that he wanted to eliminate my bosses position, and shift the duties to me.

The direct report was doing a super job, so it wasn't a coincidence I went from trying to figure out a way for my bosses' position to be maintained (I initially felt sorry for him, due to his prior health issues), to working with his bosses' goal in a very short span of time. And yes, I ENJOYED writing out his last payroll check.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
If you screw up badly or offend a customer, you deserve a telling-off. But it is completely unprofessional to scream at an employee in public or in front of other employees. It's nothing more than bullying and designed to humiliate as well as telling the other employees, "This will happen to you too."

And sometimes, whether we like it or not, we get upset when we're yelled at. Crying is not something we always have control over even if we're relaly trying. If someone is being verbally abusive, it can be very easy to break down. I think people who say they despise criers are just showing their own inability to be empathetic, which is rather sad.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
If you screw up badly or offend a customer, you deserve a telling-off. But it is completely unprofessional to scream at an employee in public or in front of other employees. It's nothing more than bullying and designed to humiliate as well as telling the other employees, "This will happen to you too."

That can be a good thing, some people merit humiliation.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
NO THEY DO NOT. Nobody deserves humiliation. All it achieves is anger, resentment and fear. If you want to bawl someone out, you do it privately. THAT is the professional way. Anything else is just massive ego and bullying.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulGatzi View Post
I once followed an employee to his vehicle, Im a bit out of shape mind you, I followed him to his car, after he sassed me infront of the staff, and I slapped him silly!

He did not fight back, said hed call the cops, I told him id say he attempted to rape me if he called the police, he walked away.
That is disgusting and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Way to set a good example

Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
NO THEY DO NOT. Nobody deserves humiliation. All it achieves is anger, resentment and fear. If you want to bawl someone out, you do it privately. THAT is the professional way. Anything else is just massive ego and bullying.
I agree. When we need to reprimand someone it's always done privately and without raising voices. Unless there is an immediate safety danger, we make an appointment with the employee and given them a written letter explaining what the issue is and the steps we would like the employee to take to correct it.

We treat our employees like adults and empower them to offer constructive feedback when there are discipline issues on what might help them not have the same problem again.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
That is disgusting and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Way to set a good example
Don't feed the trolls.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can't stand cryers. Unless someone is physically beating you this is never a good response.
Yeh...because we're all supposed to be unfeeling robots, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I was once on the receiving end of a public chewing-out, and for doing specifically what I was told to do. The manager wanted to hear none of it. Worse, there were witnesses who just kept mum because they didn't want to stick their neck out for me. That situation has really formed my view of the workplace and in a few situations since then when coworkers have been on the receiving end of what I think is inappropriate, I've spoken up on their behalf. I know what it feels like to be left dangling by coworkers and I don't want to be 'that person'.
I've spoken up on others behalf as well. Sadly the favor is rarely returned. A lot of people have lost their balls and have no idea what it means to do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Aw, don't hate the cryer; it's better to cry than to shoot up the entire office, eh?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatha1970 View Post
As a "crier" myself, I can tell you that's a completely involuntary response! It's just a reaction that some people have, and it's more women than men. I think some people think it's done on purpose - maybe to gain sympathy or to be manipulative.

For some people, like me, it's more like pressure valve. I wouldn't have cried in this situation - I'm more the type to have a cry in the ladies room by myself afterward!- but I can't fault someone else for having that happen.

No one should be put in that kind of degrading situation to begin with. It's a shocking and stressful thing to be yelled at as an adult!
Exactly, especially when the one doing the yelling is decades younger then you. I've had that happen and I'm sorry but it DOES make a difference. There should be some respect for a person who has been around the block a lot more then you have.

Quote:
Some people deserve a good ass-chewing, right at the time regardless of who's around. I've handed ass-chewings out and have been given them too, it's no big deal. You take your ass chewing like an adult and get on with work. People today seem overly sensitive to minor stuff and yet so servile about the major stuff.
I don't consider it being "over-sensitive" to be rightfully upset about being bitched out in front of other people or even in private. There is a wrong way and a right way to correct an employee and nobody deserves being "ass-chewed". We are human beings and deserve to be treated with a little bit of dignity & respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I can remember two times I was publicly chewed out by a supervisor. One was when my boss started screaming at me about taking a check from a customer. I honestly couldn't remember doing it, I knew we had a no check policy and I wouldn't have taken one. After he left and I was able to calm down, I realized the check had been taken on Sunday, my day off!

When he came in the next day, I told him he might want to check the schedule to see who was working before he decided to make accusations in the future, and that he obviously proved his ignorance by making a scene with me.

Then I walked out.
Happened to me at a month long stint at FcDonalds. Customer ordered a spit-load of food and then for some inane reason canceled the entire order. Assistant manager Keith (The Prick) yelled out "Send her home..I don't want to keep fixing her orders !!!"

I was livid...firstly the customer COULD have said to him that it wasn't my fault, but because he didn't I yelled back "The customer changed the order. It wasn't my fault"

There's only so much I'm willing to put up with at minimum wage. Hey, I have no problem owning up to mistakes I've made, but don't you DARE blame me for things that aren't my fault.

Quote:
Sorry, but human rights don't end at the factory door.

One of my multiquotes dissapeared for some reason. This is to the poster who came back to her ex-boss years later and thanked her for being such a ***** because she ended up in a better job: That is a BEAUTIFUL story...serious pawnage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment