Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwond View Post
A friend of mine told me yesterday that she got chewed out by her manager in front of vendors (recieving job) since the the manager accused her of talking rude. All she told him she knew something had to be done but she had her hands full. My friend has a good customer and vendor respect at this place of employment. The manager then called her in the office and continued shouting at her. This was a blow to her pride because she takes her job serously. She ended up crying and wanted to say I quit. This not the first time it happened it happened to her and she is on pins and needles everyday on this. She just gets paid over min wage. She is a hard working human being who likes the duty of her job otherwise.
This happened to me twice...by the same manager. First time in my life that ever happened. The first time I went to her office later and told her that she was out of line and if she wanted to 'yell' at me she should do it in private. The second time, I had JUST clocked in, she called me over and made me stand there while she 'inspected' my uniform, hands/nails, etc. and made me feel like a five year old. Then she said I had said something "inappropriate" to a customer, which wasn't true. I walked back to the time clock, punched out, went home and never returned. I was 63 years old at the time, had been in the business for many years and was ALWAYS 'in uniform', neat and clean so she had no reason to do that except to humiliate me.

Some managers are just so full of themselves, or worried about losing their job to YOU, that they work overtime to be stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can't stand cryers. Unless someone is physically beating you this is never a good response.
Aw, don't hate the cryer; it's better to cry than to shoot up the entire office, eh?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
A friend of mine told me yesterday that she got chewed out by her manager in front of vendors (recieving job) since the the manager accused her of talking rude. All she told him she knew something had to be done but she had her hands full. My friend has a good customer and vendor respect at this place of employment. The manager then called her in the office and continued shouting at her. This was a blow to her pride because she takes her job serously. She ended up crying and wanted to say I quit. This not the first time it happened it happened to her and she is on pins and needles everyday on this. She just gets paid over min wage. She is a hard working human being who likes the duty of her job otherwise.
I got chewed up and spit out by one of my old bosses, an ordained Baptist minister no less. It was about the fact she knows I didn't like her and was frustrated at something that happened and didnt want to hear it and I was kind of disrepectful. Even with that, my mom at least took me into the bathroom to handle me when I did that to her to avoid embarassment the boss chewed me out in front of the whole branch and called out my different brand of Christianity (Assembly of God). It was my next to last day at the job I gave notice for so not like she could fire me.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM

48 posts, read 110,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I just don't have any sympathy for them.
K
As a "crier" myself, I can tell you that's a completely involuntary response! It's just a reaction that some people have, and it's more women than men. I think some people think it's done on purpose - maybe to gain sympathy or to be manipulative.

For some people, like me, it's more like pressure valve. I wouldn't have cried in this situation - I'm more the type to have a cry in the ladies room by myself afterward!- but I can't fault someone else for having that happen.

No one should be put in that kind of degrading situation to begin with. It's a shocking and stressful thing to be yelled at as an adult!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,600 times
I worked at a PR agency once where the President threw a paper weight at an employee for not winning an account...

Old 12-25-2011, 01:52 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Quote:
It has happened to me where I work, just not often enough personally that I get upset about it. If it started happening a lot, I'd probably be more inclined to take action. Where I work has some of the most unprofessional managers around and it's amazing what they get away with. I think your friend should definitely tell HR about this though.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:46 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times
I have been yelled at before in front of customers. Why? I was told to stay at the register and keep taking orders. My fat ass manager was nowhere to be found, and people were waiting (20 minutes!) for their food. I get yelled at in front of one of the managers (this bald ***** who hated me) for trying to assemble food orders. Never had I been so humiliated at work.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post

BTW, such abuse absolutely exists in the corporate world.
Apparently Steve Jobs was notorious for abusing his employees at Apple. But they at least got well paid for the abuse.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Having been a manger: Attacking a subordinate anywhere is not right and it is not smart. It is an abuse of power. It could also provoke revenge. If an employee is not performing to satisfaction, the situation can and should always be handled with dignity.

BTW, such abuse absolutely exists in the corporate world. I've witnessed it multiple times. In some ways, the situation is worse because the recipient has a career at stake. Corporate HR is not usually a recourse because it exists to protect the company and often has less political clout than the abuser.

I agree with this. I would add,

(1) Keep a notebook and start documenting everything. Share a copy of this at some point with your supervisor's supervisor, or, if you have a board of directors, with the board.

(2) Email or speak to some higher-up in the company to inform them the basics of what happened. Do this immediately. Even if this is a one-sentence report, now they are informed and if they are concerned they will start to work on solutions. Some supervisors would be very unhappy to learn that any of their employees are being intimidated or treated disrespectfully. They just don't know if you don't tell them.

(3) Keep educating yourself. There is an organization, the Workplace Bullying Institute. They have a blog, they have a lot of articles and resources, and they conduct research on workplace abuse.

Sometimes it's just heartening to know you're not alone.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 PM

109 posts, read 207,643 times
There is nothing wrong with a good chewing out as long as it is done behind closed doors out of sight of all other employees... Its highly inappropriate to do it in front of employees and especially clients!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment