Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM

805 posts, read 1,162,676 times

Advertisements

quote=MSchemist80;26855047]Getting fired is a deal breaker. Companies have very regimented standardized hiring processes now a days though that making it sound more efficient that it really is. Hiring is based on HR "theories" logical fallacies, generalizations/painting with a broad brush, cliched answers to stupid and outdated interview questions, and plain old shallowness and cronyism.

There are a list of red flags that are very difficult to overcome because almost all businesses know and believe in them

Anyone fired is a troublemaker
Anyone with a gap is hiding something or not motivated
The unemployed are subpar and deserve to be so
Anyone over qualified will quit when they get a better offer.
Anyone under qualified will cost a lot of money to train and leave when they get a better offer
Anyone is is not an extreme extrovert cannot function on a team and is trouble
Bad references are always true and never about the person giving the reference

Find out what the company will say to a potential employer and find some way to cover it up. There are no second chances because most people now a days aren't even getting first chances (ask recent college grads about that).[/quote]

Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
I was terminated 16 years ago as a public school teacher for just cause (failing a drug test) and my certificate was suspended for one year due to that incident. Sixteen years later, I have cleaned my act up; taught at several private schools; earned two additional degrees in education; had my state teaching certificate reinstated and worked scoring public school state assessments for several states of the union. It appears that no public school will take a chance with me and I am a good teacher and respectable person. I am 53 and afraid to venture to another state.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,842,419 times
I had a friend in high school who was fired and rehired shortly thereafter.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,772 times
I was fired for cause. I had been an RN Supervisor in a LTC facility. An M.D. came in and wrote a bunch of orders for several patients and gave them to the LVN Charge Nurse who had those patients. I knew that the LVN was already swamped so I told her I would get started on them and she could finish what I couldn't get to when she had time. I completed 12/15 orders. She only had 3 left to do. At end of shift, she still hadn't completed them and so she passed them on to the oncoming nurse ( also happened to be the PM shift RN Supervisor). I was gone from work for the next 6 days due to a resident allegation. When I returned for my interview regarding the investigation, I was told that I was cleared of all allegations but was being let go anyway because I failed to get or see get done those 3 orders. Turns out that NONE of the nurses on next 5 shifts even looked at those orders. I was held accountable becuz they were written on my shift and although no one was harmed it could have resulted in patient harm. I tried to explain that I had completed 12/15 orders myself and that the LVN was instructed to do the last 3 but was unable to and had passed it on. Didn't matter. NOTHING was done to the LVN, oncoming RN Supervisor who accepted the orders or the nurses from the next 3 shifts. To add insult to injury, they replaced me with the RN Supervisor who had originally had the orders passed on to her and who ALSO failed to complete them. If it were truly a fireable offense based on patient safety, shouldn't EVERYONE involved have received disciplinary action? Am I eligible for unemployment?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,772 times
I was fired for cause. I had been an RN Supervisor in a LTC facility. An M.D. came in and wrote a bunch of orders for several patients and gave them to the LVN Charge Nurse who had those patients. I knew that the LVN was already swamped so I told her I would get started on them and she could finish what I couldn't get to when she had time. I completed 12/15 orders. She only havd 3 left to do. At end of shift, she still hadn't completed them and so she passed them on to the oncoming nurse ( also happened to be the PM shift RN Supervisor). I was gone from work for the next 6 days due to a resident allegation. When I returned for my interview regarding the investigation, I was told that I was cleared of all allegations but was being let go anyway because I failed to get or see get done those 3 orders. Turns out that NONE of the nurses on next 5 shifts even looked at those orders. I was held accountable becuz they were written on my shift and although no one was harmed it could have resulted in patient harm. I tried to explain that I had completed 12/15 orders myself and that the LVN was instructed to do the last 3 but was unable to and had passed it on. Didn't matter. NOTHING was done to the LVN, oncoming RN Supervisor who accepted the orders or the nurses from the next 3 shifts. To add insult to injury, they replaced me with the RN Supervisor who had originally had the orders passed on to who ALSO failed to complete them. If it were truly a fireable offense based on patient safety, shouldn't EVERYONE involved have received disciplinary action? Am I eligible for unemployment?

Old 09-19-2015, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
There are cases of being fired for "cause", however it not being true at all. People tend to dismiss applicants for several reasons, however, I personally know several people that would pass the background check, credit check, and drug test with flying colors, they have also bragged of doing absolutely nothing productive at their jobs, except being polite, well dressed and present.
We all make mistakes, some of us just sit on a higher chair and pretend we're perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment