Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't beat yourself up. I wouldn't elaborate again about it. It's normal for someone to feel that way. But it's not true that someone is trying to get rid of you. You being there is helping them steal money. Your boss isn't going to fire you to make the problem go away.

I say it's not going to happen again because you're going to be darn sure that envelope gets properly into the lock box. And writing the right times does make it easier for them to check the cameras if it happens again. Haven't you noticed that nobody has stolen anything now? It might not happen again until another cashier starts working there. Then again it might. Just focus on doing your job well. That's all that matters.

I believe you're very worried and you're full of anxiety. Look for a new job. Not because you'll lose this one, but because you deserve to have peace in your mind.
I'm going to try to do abit more convincing that one or more people are trying to get rid of me. The girl I mentioned who was fired before me for shortage reasons, I think just maybe people were stealing from her too. I don't know if it's true that she had a $140 shortage. I might have misunderstood... hold on a second...

Wow... I just realized something as I was typing this. When the boss was talking to me a few days ago about making proper deposits, he also let me know that I shouldn't be making deposits of $200. The maximum amount of cash to make a deposit is...$140!! What if this girl had remembered being told this fact and I didn't?? Does that mean she also had a missing deposit? I have a hard time believing someone accidentally gives out an extra $140 throughout their shift. She was even crying about it to the boss and before this she told me that it wasn't even her who was giving out/stealing the money. Again, I don't know the exact details about her shortages, but I do know one other employee who didn't like her (same one of the girls that I'm suspicious of). I overheard her twice talking rudely about her.

So I hope maybe I convinced you (and maybe a few others here) abit more that one or more employees is trying to get rid of me. There's something else I thought of as I was typing this. Do you think a reason the boss won't fire me (yet?) and made these fixed changes to the weekend schedules is because this is happening (if my sudden realizations are true) a second time with another employee and firing me would sort of make him look bad?

Do you guys think these are things I can discuss with my boss? I think maybe not since it would make me look more accusing? And I don't think he'd tell me details about a fired employee. Plus the $80 shortage with me happened only 2 weeks after she was fired, and this $200 short was a week after that.

Comments, questions, opinions? I hope none of you guys tell me this is all a big coincidence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I believe the same thing was happening to the girl. I don't believe it's because someone is trying to get people fired for not liking them. I think it's because there is a thief who is purposely stealing from others to deflect guilt for the purposes of a) not getting caught; b) being able to continue stealing. I don't think anything is tryng to get you fired for not liking you. I believe someone is merely a thief. Do NOT discuss this with your boss. He knows there is a thief. He will eventually catch this theif. All you need to do is focus on doing your job. He will do his. Your boss didn't keep you because it would make you look bad. Your boss probably now realizes that the girl was innocent since the thefts have continued after she was gone. He knows firing you won't stop the thefts.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Best way to stop the person trying to get rid of you (assuming there is anyway) is to focus on your work and do a good job.

Don't try to play detective and figure out who is doing what, as you're severely under qualified and your boss and corporate would be significantly better at it.

The best thing for you to do is to smile, shut up about your suspicions, follow the advice and rules given, stop half a@@ing (ie, "I didn't force the deposite all the way in the box.."), and focus on improving your work abilities.

You obsessing over this and potentially letting it interfere with work abilities is playing into the person who wants you gone hands (if there is one).

Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
^^^ What that long named person said (TheEarthPerson.)

Enough already. It sounds like management gets it. Focus on doing your job and making your deposits in the manner that they're instructed. It's not your job to figure out who may or may not be stealing. Just do your job now and follow the rules to the letter. You had a foot out the door a few days ago and now have a reprieve. Time for you to show them you're competent, you get it, and you're doing your best going forward.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
paranoia will distroy ya..and that's a fact...
if you are looking for a new job, don't mention all this stuff, it makes it look like trouble follows you to the interviewer/future boss. and if you think the grass is greener, it's not...plus, there's always the next day and the hope that this will all be cleared up. In the meantime try to relax and just do what your job is, no more, no less. And no brown nosing either! Seriously, it can lead to more trouble than it's worth. Not accusing you of it but just sayin'....People in management do go to classes/meetings where they learn to deal with people and situations. Playing dumb is one way to deal with things and so is baiting to see who will do what. It's just frustrating and creates a hostile work environment sometimes while it seems like nothing is being done. People who steal have no qualms about setting up other people and dragging them down with them to reach their goal. So keep your nose clean and don't say too much to anyone, including co workers, about this.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I believe the same thing was happening to the girl. I don't believe it's because someone is trying to get people fired for not liking them. I think it's because there is a thief who is purposely stealing from others to deflect guilt for the purposes of a) not getting caught; b) being able to continue stealing. I don't think anything is tryng to get you fired for not liking you. I believe someone is merely a thief. Do NOT discuss this with your boss. He knows there is a thief. He will eventually catch this theif. All you need to do is focus on doing your job. He will do his. Your boss didn't keep you because it would make you look bad. Your boss probably now realizes that the girl was innocent since the thefts have continued after she was gone. He knows firing you won't stop the thefts.
Can you just clarify that statement? Sorry, I tried to look up the meaning of 'deflect' and I still don't understand. Another thing is the people who are "cool" and liked by the people I'm suspicious of never have these huge shortages. Though there is this this other new girl who has been there for about 1-2 months who is sort of starting to get rudely talked about after she made a mistake when fixing the shelves. Who knows if they'll target her now?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I'd get out and get out now...why wait and take the blame for anything. Get another job now. I'd rather quit than be fired for stealing.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Deflect = To avoid appearing guilty so they don't get caught. Nothing to do with targeting you because you aren't liked. They are thieves. That's all. They don't have any other motives other than to steal and have more money without being caught so they can continue steal so they can continue getting more money.

Sometimes the thesaurus makes it easier to understand the meanings of words when the dictionary doesn't: Deflect Synonyms, Deflect Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Though there is this this other new girl who has been there for about 1-2 months who is sort of starting to get rudely talked about after she made a mistake when fixing the shelves. Who knows if they'll target her now?
And if they do? You MUST stop wasting time trying to analyze everything that goes on with everyone else and just put your nose to the grindstone. Concentrate on your own job so you don't continue making mistakes.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
I have investigated losses for a long time now. If there is cash missing from the register, management needs to compare the following: cash loss amounts, the date, what register, and who had access to each register.

Here is a diagram I made as an example for a small business with one register and 5 or 6 employees. You keep everyone in the dark about your investigation, and eventually you will start noticing a trend. Here you will see that David had access to the register during each loss. You can easily keep track of this on Excel. I have used this method for years.

I'm really posting this for anyone who has their own business because a cashier shouldn't be investigating anything. Someone may have already touched on this, but I didn't want to read through all of the pages of posts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment