Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
It's simple. Say my job is to fill the temp order for company XYZ. I have a dozen or more resumes that fit the bill. I start making calls to set up interviews. Once I have several set up, I go on to fill the next order until I have received feedback on the interviews. The last thing I am going to do is play phone tag. In this buyers' market, there is no need to. And I need to make my numbers.

You are not one of only five rocket scientists on the market. If so, there might be more incentive for me to leave a message, call back several times, etc. You are one of many, many people seeking a position that requires pretty basic skills. Attitude and enthusiasm are what will make one applicant rise above the rest. I don't know how you can come off positivity on those attributes in an interview, based on what you have posted the past three years on the trials and tribulations of your professional life. Attitude determines altitude.

I've noticed that your grammar isn't all that great and it appears you have social anxiety issues. I doubt that you were even the top candidate in the placement person's opinion. If so, he/she may have taken the time to call back a few times or leave a message. Everyone can make improvement. Instead of spending countless hours sharing your perceived flaws in potential employers, maybe spend even one hour a day working on yourself.

Only a stupid person would call and hang up when calling someone for a job. Goodbye

Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM

434 posts, read 684,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
they can only offer $11.00 an hour. I didn't say YES or NO but said I would think about it because I don't want to mess up things this agency. But this doesn't sound like too bad of an offer if I just exhausted my 6 months of UC. But since I have about 3 more months until it runs out I don't think it's necessary to jump at a job paying that amount. Yes I know with unemployment I'm making $8.50 an hour but I don't have to worry about the expenses below

Lunch Money
Cleaners
Transportation

So I will just wait a while before I agree to accept that type of pay. And before anyone attacks me if I was on my 7th month of unemployment i would accept the job without hesitation.
It is easier to get a job when you have a job. Maybe that is true even for a temporary job. You may be shortchanging yourself in the long term for what seems like the correct decision in the short term.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
It's simple. Say my job is to fill the temp order for company XYZ. I have a dozen or more resumes that fit the bill. I start making calls to set up interviews. Once I have several set up, I go on to fill the next order until I have received feedback on the interviews. The last thing I am going to do is play phone tag. In this buyers' market, there is no need to. And I need to make my numbers.

You are not one of only five rocket scientists on the market. If so, there might be more incentive for me to leave a message, call back several times, etc. You are one of many, many people seeking a position that requires pretty basic skills. Attitude and enthusiasm are what will make one applicant rise above the rest. I don't know how you can come off positivity on those attributes in an interview, based on what you have posted the past three years on the trials and tribulations of your professional life. Attitude determines altitude.

I've noticed that your grammar isn't all that great and it appears you have social anxiety issues. I doubt that you were even the top candidate in the placement person's opinion. If so, he/she may have taken the time to call back a few times or leave a message. Everyone can make improvement. Instead of spending countless hours sharing your perceived flaws in potential employers, maybe spend even one hour a day working on yourself.
She (I'm guessing) is correct.

Quote:
Only a stupid person would call and hang up when calling someone for a job. Goodbye
You, on the other hand, are not.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Well, TV, stupid or not, that person has a job.

I found some examples of the grammar issues that you could work on. They aren't the worst, but in an interview, they can be a distraction at best.

Quote:
...Anyone situated like me and don't have a flat screen or a TV bigger than 24 inches?
Quote:
...What the new person doesn't know is the last three pople who held that position has been let go.
11-14-10
Quote:
there is no breathers when you have no job.
The last post was from an interesting thread of yours that is topical to this thread:

Quote:
A friend of mine was laid off last week which was the second week of November and most of her coworkers made this ridiculous statement

"I'm not going to start looking for a job until the beginning of the year"

So for the next 6 weeks they wll treat their unemployed status as a vacation?-lol Whatever jobs is available now and in December may not be available in January or February. So this is why so many people are on unemployment because of the ones who are not agressive in finding a job.

I'm not saying everyone but you know a large portion are like those people I mention above who plans to live off unemployment benefits and look for no jobs.
Quote:
And my point was it's probably TONS of people like my friend's coworkers who rather TAKE A BREAK rather than looking for a job right away.
Quote:
Yes because I like having a job title and not living on UC so I can get a tier 7
Quote:
No it wasn't her, it was her coworkers who said they rather wait until january to look for a job. And it sounds dumb because every single week is importsnt when collecting UC so why would anyone want to just waste six weeks knowing that it takes 4-5 months to find a job sometimes?
Quote:
1. Find other jobsites besides the ones you listed

2. Do job related activities even on the weekends

3. Don't apply to crappy jobs

4. ignore what the media saying about the economy

5. Keep doing more of B
Quote:
Wel $35,000 is not crappy to everyone and I thought you mean minimum wage jobs when you said crappy. And when you don't have a job you should do something job search related 7 days a week to increase your chances of finding a job. Why take off the weekend from job searching? The Weekends are for people who work during the week not people who are job seeking.
Quote:
I only take pot shots at lazy unemployed people with a negative attitude

Not positive hard working unemployed people who don't get brainwashed by what they hear the media saying about the economy.
Quote:
My point was unemployed people should not take a break from job related activities because it's Saturday or Sunday
Quote:
The purpose of career counselors is to give advice that will make you a better job seeker.
Goodbye.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Magnolia Bloom is spot on. For routine white or blue collar positions, no agency is about to waste time on phone tag. They simply say "next" when they hit voicemail.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Magnolia Bloom is spot on. For routine white or blue collar positions, no agency is about to waste time on phone tag. They simply say "next" when they hit voicemail.
I'm talking about a business not a temp agency. I wouldn't expect a temp agency to leave a message.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Because I go to bed at 4am so i can still get atleast 6 hours of sleep.
Then go to bed at 3, or 2, or midnight

Quote:
Only a stupid person would stay up til 4, sleep til 10, and let his phone go to VM while he's looking for a job.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
The time to quit feeding the troll is now.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Then go to bed at 3, or 2, or midnight

Only a stupid person would stay up til 4, sleep til 10, and let his phone go to VM while he's looking for a job.
I will go to bed earlier when I start working again, right now I'm going to enjoy this while it last

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
I will go to bed earlier when I start working again, right now I'm going to enjoy this while it last
What I want to say is not worth the infraction I would get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment