Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 11,037 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm 22 years old and I am seeking a start in my professional career since graduating college. I have a friend who is CFO of a company that I'd like to work for, and he's been working since last year to give me an opportunity. He came up to me a few weeks ago and said that I'd have an upcoming opportunity.

Last week I received a phone call from their recruiter. I was told that I was referred by my CFO friend, and that they would like to have me come in for a face to face interview for a position. The recruiter also asked when I would be able to start, and asked me my expected salary. The recruiter also gave me her direct number, and told me to call her any time if I had any questions. Our phone conversation was around 20 minutes.

The interview was approaching and I practiced going over and answering questions with a friend, assuming this would be a tough interview. Interview day comes along and I walk in, the interviewer was extremely nice, and made me feel really relaxed and comfortable. She mentioned my friend, and proceeded with the interview. The only 2 questions that she asked were: "Tell me about yourself," and "What were your favorite, and least favorite subjects in college?" She then proceeded to tell me about the benefits, vacation time, etc. She then told me if I had any questions, to ask her. I had several questions prepared. After that was finished, she told me she would give me her card, and if I hadn't heard from her within a week or so, to just give her a call.

I feel like I have this job, but I'm not 100% sure. Getting that career starting job is tough, and I hope I'm not setting myself up for a big disappointment. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Well it sounds like you nailed it.. but only time will well. Usually in this scenario, you would (and should) get the job. Best of luck!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

That's what I was thinking as well. Hopefully it turns out in a positive way! If not, there will be other opportunities...

Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well it sounds like you nailed it.. but only time will well. Usually in this scenario, you would (and should) get the job. Best of luck!
yeah, he had it soooo rough. Just aced that thing. Never would have got it otherwise but you just killed it.

dude probably could have shown up in sweat pants and still got it, from the way it sounds. just don't screw up and make your friend look bad.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
That's great - I hope you get the job. Remember the favor and return it to someone else in the future. Also realize that your friend got you in the door (hopefully) - its 100% up to you to make the most of this opportunity!

Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you - hope you get the job. Don't assume anything and fight as if you don't have the job during any followup interviews / calls, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The recruiter knows who butters her bread. CFO is a serious connection. I'd be shocked if the job isn't offered to you.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i think very soon u will know.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I personally don't like nice interviewer because they are probably the best. You'd let your guard down and say something really stupid. :-(

Both questions are excellent interview questions and most people would fall right into the trap. I personally always ask the first question, "Tell me about yourself" when I am doing the interview.

I'd suggest you not to think too much about this otherwise if something doesn't come through, you get a big disappointment.

I am curious as how long the interview lasted.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM

The interview lasted around 30 minutes. She also said she regarding the decision...that she had one more interview at the end of the week. I also followed up with a mailed thank you letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment