Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies1 View Post
HAHAHHAHA. Oh I used to think that way too. Now, two careers and three degrees later I have finally realized I don't want to work. Its pointless misery. Day after day of taking orders and dealing with office politics while I pay someone else to raise my child.

I enjoy aspects of my job now, but I am sick of coming home to a messy house, doing the laundry shuffle every morning, forgetting to bake goodies for my daughters bake sales, not being able to have her involved in activities because I am working and don't have time to run her there.

If I could trade all my degrees for student loan debt absolution I would do it in a heart beat. And I graduated with damn near a 4.0 that I worked my butt off for.

I would counter by saying I truly don't understand people who find their identity in their jobs (unless they are a 20 something, then age explains a lot).
And for some reason the idea of staying at home tending home, baking cookies for bake sales, and doing whatever else is just pure hell.

Not all of us work in jobs where we have misery. Most women I know at my level or above find a great deal of satisfaction in working. I don't know many who are working in jobs where they are miserable or do not have a high degree of self empowerment or authority in their positions.

My former manager is staying home (after a layoff) until they move into their new home. Even with 3 kids she is going crazy with not working outside of the house.

I should add-- I don't ever see myself having kids. I have zero desire. I don't even really have a desire to get married-- I would much prefer long term male friends. I would like to save enough and make enough to work for myself one day or just retire early to some beautiful place.

I don't want to ever be dependent on someone else to bring home the bacon-- especially with the many female friends I know who find themselves having to return to the workforce later with very dated skills because hubby met someone knew and realized that he found going home just as intolerable. I will say makes me think there is some validation in that considering my best friend who works in family law has made the decision that she will never just stay at home and be completely dependent on someone else's income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Last year, a co-worker of mine (I'm a cook in a school cafeteria) accepted an office position. She's since come back to the school - she said it was because she got sick to death of leaving the house at 7:30 a.m. and not getting home until 7:30 p.m. Seems 50 plus hours a week were the "norm" at that position (60 when they had to work Saturdays). Our work schedule at the school IS excellent - 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - home in time to enjoy the sunny spring afternoons, no weekends, and no holidays (we get a week off for Christmas and Easter Vacation). It doesn't mean we are "lazy", we're women still in our prime (40's and 50's) that still earn a decent income, but aren't interested in running the hamster wheel anymore.

Every morning, we enjoy discussing the previous afternoon's episodes of Judge Judy, Dr. Phil and Anderson Cooper.
exactly! if it makes you happy i say go for, but slaving for a job you hate (especially if you hate it) isnt worth it.. my mom did it for 30 years,she regrets it everyday

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Do you think men really enjoy the old 9-5 any more than women do?

I often wonder how these women would like it if their husbands came home and announced they just didn't want to work anymore; that they had decided to become "men of leisure".

We really haven't come as far as we think we have, now have we?
I know quite a few men who were stay at home fathers.

Not just temporarily either. They completely raised all of their children until college.

They have very happy, stable, marriages too.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
With my assistant cook job at the school cafeteria, I guess I get the best of both worlds - a steady job plus time off over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Summer off is great, too, but it's not totally "leisure" - I grow and sell produce to make up the lost income (we don't get paid for summer vacation). But compared to the regimentation of office work (which I did for 30 years), it sure feels like leisure!

Edit: Countdown - Easter Vacation is in 3 weeks, and last day of school in less than 12!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-13-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
When I saw this thread title in the main board (with the last part cut out) I was thinking it might be 'ladies of the night', lol...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Lucky them, I think I'd be too jealous to have a wife who just stayed at home, or went out enjoying herself all day, while I slogged out in the office. If she ain't working, I expect her to be contributing to society in another way (e.g. volunteering) or working on say worthwhile projects. I ain't paying for anyone to just sit at home and watching TV or hang out at the country club whether i can afford it or not.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
This article was a little surprising...especially with the current high unemployment rate.

“Educated gals, who may be sick of earning significantly less than their male counterparts, are ditching the office as their husbands bring home bigger paychecks...”

More women are quitting 9-5 jobs to be ladies of leisure - msnNOW
Anyone who refers to women as "gals" isn't someone I tend to give any sort of credibility to.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:06 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I can't take women seriously when they choose to not have any type of job. I have a family member who doesn't work and actually thinks she's better than working women because her husband has a high enough paying job that affords her this luxury.

I can only understand women not working if they're taking care of very young kids. Otherwise I don't see any reason why they aren't working.

+1

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
I think that for kids seeing both parents working can be good as well. That can serve as a good example for them.

Also, honestly I am not sure how people can survive on one income unless it is a good income. Also, nothing is perfect. Husband can be laid off and then what? If a woman has never worked or lost her skill etc, what the family will do?? I also want to add that most families are with 2+ kids..

For stability reason, and this is only my opinion, I do believe that it is better when both parents work. You neve know what can happen.

I always worked. then I was laid off in 2008, was 3 months pregnant and my husband was laid off as well. You really never know. Bad thing happen.
It was not easy, but we survived. Still was quite stressful. I need to add that we had 2 little kids and one coming up.

I know that many people think opposite. Again this is only my opinion - please do not judge

Now I am unemployed again and desperately looking for a job again. But at least one of us works and hopefully two of us will!
I completely agree with you 100%

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I can't take women seriously when they choose to not have any type of job. I have a family member who doesn't work and actually thinks she's better than working women because her husband has a high enough paying job that affords her this luxury.

I can only understand women not working if they're taking care of very young kids. Otherwise I don't see any reason why they aren't working.
Would you say the same thing about a man who didn't work?

I have a neighbor who recently quit her very high powered job. She had been there for over 20 years, the stress was intense, she traveled constantly, and she just didn't want to do it any longer. They are set financially and she doesn't need to work--has never really needed to work. She'd like to find something p/t, but who is going to hire a woman in her late 50's who's last job was SVP at a major corp. making over $250K a year for a p/t job? She's not interested in retail or fast food, if she's going to work again it's got to be in her field. She doesn't need to work, but she would if she found the right situation.

Her husband is still working, he really likes his job and plans on staying for a few more years, but he'll retire at 62.

So you think she's worthless because she doesn't work? I'd say you're way off base with that comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment