Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The average debt upOn graduation from a top 100 school is around 15k. The crushing debt comes for average students or ones that pick schools that are a horrible value.
And this is the mentality that Im talking about here. Its ALWAYS something. ALWAYS. There is always some excuse for why a broken system should be accepted.

"The crushing debt comes from those who were average students, or ones that pick schools that are a horrible value, or from those who didnt get a namebrand degree, or from those who didnt major in astrophysics, or from those who may have majored in astrophysics, but didnt get a PhD./graduate degree in it, or from those who named their dog Rover, .....or from those who didnt lace their shoes with black laces,.... or from those who didnt choose a cheap school,....... or from those who chose a school with great value, but didnt choose the right lender, or from those who didnt buy the right fitting pair of blue jeans, or those who didnt get an academic scholarship, or those who......."

--- next it will be "the unemployment rate comes from those who dont work hard enough, or from those who didnt feed their goldfish this morning, or from those who only have a masters degree rather than a Ph.D,....or ...."

What we are essentially getting at here is that college was originally intended for rich people. Period. It was for the people whose parents could afford to pay for their college education, in part or in its entirety, in order to avert any debt that would be incurred by pursuing a higher education. College was never intended for people who had to mortgage their parents home to afford it. All that was doing was passing the debt down to the next generation. And to that extent, the potential for a college education to improve quality of life was falsely advertised either by a broken school system (k-12), by society at large, or by colleges/universities themselves. And the tiny percentage of people who are afforded a college education entirely by scholarship is not reflective of the path to college for most people. Nor should it be. What kind of country is this becoming whereby everyone who goes to college needs to be able to attend on academic scholarship? And when that becomes the case, isnt it obvious that this would still leave brilliant, capable people without access to a college education due to a saturation in competition for academic scholarships?

Last edited by soletaire; 04-01-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Here is a nice graph showing the increase in college costs from 1978 through 2009 - from: http://graphs.posterous.com/cost-of-...tion-over-time

Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Quote:
Don't disagree with most really. What you did leave out are people who don't realize their lack of skill/motivation are a big part of their problem.
I used to agree with this until I had trouble finding a job. I was a student who worked my butt off. I worked full-time and went to school full-time, got laid off in 2009 and had a heck of a time finding work. A relative of mine had a 4.0 GPA. He works 75 hours a week and has a family. He has a decent paying job that he is holding onto for dear life. He is worried he is going to get laid off. I never dreamed I would see the day when he was worried about losing his job. Why is he worried you might ask? His company is shipping jobs overseas.

Another relative of mine works in a prison. Even he is worried about being fired. He is good at his job, but the prison wants to replace people with inexperienced workers so they can pay them less.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And how many Freshman slots for non-legacy students do these Top 100 schools have compared to total possible incoming Freshmen?
Plenty in publics. You can still go cheap to middle of road publics.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
And this is the mentality that Im talking about here. Its ALWAYS something. ALWAYS. There is always some excuse for why a broken system should be accepted.

"The crushing debt comes from those who were average students, or ones that pick schools that are a horrible value, or from those who didnt get a namebrand degree, or from those who didnt major in astrophysics, or from those who may have majored in astrophysics, but didnt get a PYhD./graduate degree in it, or from those who named their dog Rover, .....or from those who didnt lace their shoes with black laces,.... or from those who didnt choose a cheap school,....... or from those who chose a school with great value, but didnt choose the right lender, or from those who didnt buy the right fitting pair of blue jeans, or those who didnt get an academic scholarship, or those who......."

--- next it will be "the unemployment rate comes from those who dont work hard enough, or from those who didnt feed their goldfish this morning, or from those who only have a masters degree rather than a Ph.D,....or ...."

What we are essentially getting at here is that college was originally intended for rich people. Period. It was for the people whose parents could afford to pay for their college education, in part or in its entirety, in order to avert any debt that would be incurred by pursuing a higher education. College was never intended for people who had to mortgage their parents home to afford it. All that was doing was passing the debt down to the next generation. And to that extent, the potential for a college education to improve quality of life was falsely advertised either by a broken school system (k-12), by society at large, or by colleges/universities themselves. And the tiny percentage of people who are afforded a college education entirely by scholarship is not reflective of the path to college for most people. Nor should it be. What kind of country is this becoming whereby everyone who goes to college needs to be able to attend on academic scholarship? And when that becomes the case, isnt it obvious that this would still leave brilliant, capable people without access to a college education due to a saturation in competition for academic scholarships?
I gave you a fact, not an excuse.

Tell your states to stop cutting funding if you want tuition to stop going up. In the end college isn't for the average student with current costs. If you are an average student you better find a cheap public.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Plenty in publics. You can still go cheap to middle of road publics.

University of MD system tops out at around $18K/year at College Park.
Salisbury, Coppin, Frostburg, etc. are around $14K. St. Mary's is between them.
Penn State is around UMDCP. PA state universities are around $12K.

What you also may not be taking into account is that state colleges are now specializing in various courses and not offering all they once did.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I used to agree with this until I had trouble finding a job. I was a student who worked my butt off. I worked full-time and went to school full-time, got laid off in 2009 and had a heck of a time finding work. A relative of mine had a 4.0 GPA. He works 75 hours a week and has a family. He has a decent paying job that he is holding onto for dear life. He is worried he is going to get laid off. I never dreamed I would see the day when he was worried about losing his job. Why is he worried you might ask? His company is shipping jobs overseas.

Another relative of mine works in a prison. Even he is worried about being fired. He is good at his job, but the prison wants to replace people with inexperienced workers so they can pay them less.
It's certainly not as easy as it used to be with a degree. It also is much tougher than it used to be if you only have a HS degree.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
University of MD system tops out at around $18K/year at College Park.
Salisbury, Coppin, Frostburg, etc. are around $14K. St. Mary's is between them.
Penn State is around UMDCP. PA state universities are around $12K.

What you also may not be taking into account is that state colleges are now specializing in various courses and not offering all they once did.
Tuition numbers dont tell you much. Average debt at graduation does.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,343 times
i hate how employers, want, expect you to have experience for even the entry-level jobs, customer-service, retail jobs, fast-food places, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc. People say that having a sense of entitlement will not help you, yes, of course, but we as humans have a right to be desperate for a job, employment, because thats what we humans have always been doing, we all have to work for a living, to buy food, etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Tuition numbers dont tell you much. Average debt at graduation does.

Averages are just that, if we're using that metric. Median debt might be a better number if it could be teased out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment