Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times

Advertisements

It seems like a bad Catch 22; you need experience to get experience. Personally, I think college degrees were marketed to a lot of people over the past few decades as a means of finanically enslaving the public. Mark up the tuition sky-high so people are stuck getting loans (the BS kind, student loans are really bad from what I've heard) and they'll be more than happy to take whatever work employers throw at them. Not all employers are like this, granted, but I'm under the impression that quite a few companies are influencing higher education more than they should. I've seen it with the South Dakota university system; Premier Bankcard and T Denny Sanford have paid a lot of money to USD in Vermillion and changed the business school there to be a puppet of his 'credit card' operation. Of course they'll say that a college degree is a good investment; that's because a lot of businesses want college grads for the cheap. Of course, if you are a graduate that a hiring manager thinks won't be a good corporate drone, then they aren't going to give you the time of day. That's probably why a lot of college grads don't get jobs is because most of the business world wants toadies for the BS pay they offer.

Last edited by fireandice1000; 07-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: grammar goof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
That's how most of the people I know was hired. It wasn't because they were well qualified or they were intelligent, but because had friends or family willing to help them. When you don't have that, then you are forced to be on your own which makes it more complicated.

My cousin got a job at the hospital only because her mother worked there. Must be nice...
The only people I know who've been able to find any real work in this Depression have done it through powerful, old connections they had... skill and ability so far do not seem to be a factor when there are so few jobs. So, I can understand the frustration...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The real question is.... Do you feel it was appropriate to attend a school that would be unable to place you at a job? In this economy, that initial experience is so helpful. It seems too important to dismiss.
Not everyone is smart enough and being smart is a matter of having the right genes, meaning it's luck, to be able to attend a school like Princeton. Let me guess, you friends probably attended elite schools too. I also attended an elite school but I don't pretend I made better decisions or worked harder than others. I was lucky to be born intelligent.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The only people I know who've been able to find any real work in this Depression have done it through powerful, old connections they had... skill and ability so far do not seem to be a factor when there are so few jobs. So, I can understand the frustration...
Yep, definitely easier for those with connections. There are quite a few high level people in my workplace who've gotten jobs for their children via their connections and it's sickening to see that when so many who don't have parents with such connections are jobless.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Yep, definitely easier for those with connections. There are quite a few high level people in my workplace who've gotten jobs for their children via their connections and it's sickening to see that when so many who don't have parents with such connections are jobless.
Getting jobs via connections is nothing new though. People on here act like this never happened before. In any post recession in history connections are a bit more valuable.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:03 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
A lot of people are having trouble. I will give you that. It doesn't mean everyone, or even the majority, are struggling. I came to Chicago on a train and had a job in a week. I have no family here and I didn't know a single person at any of the businesses. All of my references were from back home. Been here for over a year, and have even been able to switch to a job more to my liking. Certainly my experience is not "the norm", but somewhere in between lies the healthy median.

I feel sorry for those having a hard time. When I hear everyone start to say the game is rigged and don't bother trying though, I'm not impressed. Instead of admitting defeat, people need to try that much harder. Even still, some won't achieve the desired results. That is life though.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Getting jobs via connections is nothing new though. People on here act like this never happened before. In any post recession in history connections are a bit more valuable.
Connections are important. Degrees, certifications, licenses, all important. Want to know what is more important? Ones attitude, problem solving skills, outlook, willingness to overcome and persevere... A little hardship can either crush a human, or force them to adapt. Recessions are often described as business or price readjustments. Sometimes, I also think they serve as good attitude adjustments.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
A lot of people are having trouble. I will give you that. It doesn't mean everyone, or even the majority, are struggling. I came to Chicago on a train and had a job in a week. I have no family here and I didn't know a single person at any of the businesses. All of my references were from back home. Been here for over a year, and have even been able to switch to a job more to my liking. Certainly my experience is not "the norm", but somewhere in between lies the healthy median.

I feel sorry for those having a hard time. When I hear everyone start to say the game is rigged and don't bother trying though, I'm not impressed. Instead of admitting defeat, people need to try that much harder. Even still, some won't achieve the desired results. That is life though.
These facts are nothing new in any economy either.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

True, though I never recommend for people to stop trying... I just want people to understand that the real world is cold, merciless, and unjust. Hard work and effort may or may not pay off, just like buying a lottery ticket. In both cases you have to play - or work - to have any hope of winning, but after that, it's all up to luck: connections, age, health, "right place at the right time," and so on. Some folks I've run into don't get it and love to rant about how everyone is in absolute control of their own destiny. If that were true, nobody would be sick, poor, or suffering, and folks like me sure as heck wouldn't be facing terminal unemployment.

Still, what burns me is watching utterly useless or malicious people get or keep jobs based totally on connections. It is sickening - so many good people are out of work, and yet it takes no effort at all to find idiots and bums employed for life just because they know somebody or have relatives in power. Sure, it's nothing new, but in a Depression, those clowns are now in the way and are preventing decent people who used to be employed from finding new jobs.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
True, though I never recommend for people to stop trying... I just want people to understand that the real world is cold, merciless, and unjust. Hard work and effort may or may not pay off, just like buying a lottery ticket. In both cases you have to play - or work - to have any hope of winning, but after that, it's all up to luck: connections, age, health, "right place at the right time," and so on. Some folks I've run into don't get it and love to rant about how everyone is in absolute control of their own destiny. If that were true, nobody would be sick, poor, or suffering, and folks like me sure as heck wouldn't be facing terminal unemployment.

Still, what burns me is watching utterly useless or malicious people get or keep jobs based totally on connections. It is sickening - so many good people are out of work, and yet it takes no effort at all to find idiots and bums employed for life just because they know somebody or have relatives in power. Sure, it's nothing new, but in a Depression, those clowns are now in the way and are preventing decent people who used to be employed from finding new jobs.
Again, that's life. It's been that way for ages. Most place I've worked, the bosses kid(s) get the sweet jobs, and all us workin shlubs get the rest. Hehe, that's life. Frankly, it's none of my business either way. What you are describing isn't unusual. If it isn't doing the business any good, they will be the ones to suffer. Their loss in the end.

And we all know life can be cold and unforgiving. Most people figure it out after awhile. Better sooner than later. I like to know what I'm up against anyways. Problem with a lot of these younger folks is they are just learning this now. It doesn't necessarily get easier as time goes by either. They'll have to learn just like the rest of us did. Sounds like they are catching on. For the ones stuck in their parents house or whatever... It's not ideal, but they are likely eating decent meals and sleeping in a warm bed. There are bigger problems in the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment