Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Stop breaking the rules and I won't have to report.

Good Night
My posts aren't breaking any rules anymore than your Mary Tyler Moore comments that are 100% smartass in nature.

Quote:
i don't care anything about your story, tell it to CNN. I care less.
Why don't you take some of your own advice... as it is we need a table of contents to determine which stint on unemployment your posts fall under...

We all love reading your excuses for not accepting work... I thought about you earlier when my $1173.23 paycheck for this week hit the bank.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Perhaps the job fairy (good one!) will pay you a visit though
The horse is dead Andy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 AM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post

We all love reading your excuses for not accepting work... I thought about you earlier when my $1173.23 paycheck for this week hit the bank.

Cheers!
OMFG can I take the Bentley for a spin plz!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
OMFG can I take the Bentley for a spin plz!
Not interested. Saving up for other toys at a much faster rate than the $330 a week I drew on unemployment.

But hey... more power to those riding the UI train for the entire 99 week ride. At some point the ride is gonna end...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
i don't care anything about your story, tell it to CNN. I care less.
Why even bother to say it? You've always demonstrated that whatever happens to anyone else (good or bad) is of no interest to you at all. Lack of empathy hardly begins to describe it but you certainly do get your knickers in a gnarl when someone else says exactly the same sort of things which you throw out consistently. The only point you've made in the last few posts is that you watch a lot of MTM reruns.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I understand that people need to take charge of their lives and need to do the best they can to improve their situations, I get that. I relocated 800 miles for a job myself a few years ago, and it paid off. But I also know that what works out for one person, may not be a good idea for another. It doesn;t mean that one person is "better" than the other, or that one is lazy. Every situation is different. Life is tough enough as it is without the self-righteous water-walkers making you feel worse.
Absolutely how I feel.

Yes, you can ALSO move without a job. People do it all the time. Like some have said, when you weigh the idea of sitting in your own town or state and see NOTHING is going on or move, you have to decide will you take the risk?

I believe this works for some people.

As for looking online, well sometimes you DO HAVE TO pick up and move.Sometimes THEY WILL NOT CALL YOU or consider you until you live in an area. That is the way it goes. You can send resumes all over the USA but maybe you will not get a bite unless you have a specific skill they cannot find locally.

It's not tragic to move if you are not having any luck where you live. Better to try (if you can) something new than sit and fester.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see why they'd be any less likely to hire you if you spent a year as a garbage man, than if you'd spent that year unemployed. It doesn't cancel out or undo the 10 years of experience you have.
I could have been unemployed as well, it would have had the same effect. We were making the assumption that I took a job unrelated to my career, but it really isnt much better then just being unemployed.

Either would severely damage your ability to achieve the same position you lost.

Ill give you a great example. I just got a call from some guy who found my resume online. He was recruiting for a financial analyst position. I have been laid off from my last financial analyst position for just shy of two months.

Here is how the conversation basically started

R: What are you doing now?
M: Working for a temp agency

R: What company is that? (by this he didnt mean the agency but the company Im contracted to)
M: (I tell him, and what they do, he seems fairly disinterested)

R: So, how long has it been since your last job?
M: About two months

R: What is the exact day you were laid off?
M: February 17th

R: Why were you laid off
M: (I tell him)

You see? He had complete interest in HOW LONG I have been away from the skillset and WHY I was no longer doing it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I could have been unemployed as well, it would have had the same effect. We were making the assumption that I took a job unrelated to my career, but it really isnt much better then just being unemployed.

Either would severely damage your ability to achieve the same position you lost.

Ill give you a great example. I just got a call from some guy who found my resume online. He was recruiting for a financial analyst position. I have been laid off from my last financial analyst position for just shy of two months.

Here is how the conversation basically started

R: What are you doing now?
M: Working for a temp agency

R: What company is that? (by this he didnt mean the agency but the company Im contracted to)
M: (I tell him, and what they do, he seems fairly disinterested)

R: So, how long has it been since your last job?
M: About two months

R: What is the exact day you were laid off?
M: February 17th

R: Why were you laid off
M: (I tell him)

You see? He had complete interest in HOW LONG I have been away from the skillset and WHY I was no longer doing it.
In you are unemployed for 1 year you've been away from the skill set for 1 year. If you are a garbage man for 1 year, you've been away from the skill set for 1 year.

Maybe one the forum's business owners/managers/HR people could weigh in on who they'd rather hire:
A) an accountant with 10 years experience who'd been working as a garbage man for the past year.
or
B) an accountant with 10 years experience who'd been unemployed for the past year.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
In you are unemployed for 1 year you've been away from the skill set for 1 year. If you are a garbage man for 1 year, you've been away from the skill set for 1 year.
I agree, both situations would be equal in regards to being re-employed as an accountant in the same position.

Quote:
Maybe one the forum's business owners/managers/HR people could weigh in on who they'd rather hire:
A) an accountant with 10 years experience who'd been working as a garbage man for the past year.
or
B) an accountant with 10 years experience who'd been unemployed for the past year.
Thats really not good information, because theyd likely have the choice of

C) Somebody who has similiar experience and hasnt been away from the field at all

D) A recent graduate who has recent training/education in the field

Problem is, they have C so often, that A and B just kind of fall off the radar.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

Problem is, they have C so often, that A and B just kind of fall off the radar.
What set you apart from all the C's?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
What set you apart from all the C's?

Nothing really I guess. Given similiar experience and education, maybe they just liked my name better? Maybe the hiring manager was an alum of my college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment