Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 AM

154 posts, read 524,698 times

Advertisements

The world has changed. American companies have had to change the way they are operating with cost / margin constraints in this new global economy. Wages in many categories that historically have been good, are lower and may very likely never come back to their past levels. Many types of jobs such as manufacturing have altogether been eliminated.

Complaining about exploitation, illegal immigrants, **** jobs, etc does not and will not address the core issue at hand - all it does it perpetuate self-pity and helplessness.

Companies have already adapted to this new reality - the workforce still hasn't come to terms with this. If you're complaining about crap jobs and exploitation, I'd recommend that you start thinking about ways you can adapt to this new world. With every change there are opportunities. If you're not going to be able to make a living the way you used to, I would change something. Complaining and hoping that wages will come back up won't change things. Adapt or get left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
The world has changed. American companies have had to change the way they are operating with cost / margin constraints in this new global economy. Wages in many categories that historically have been good, are lower and may very likely never come back to their past levels. Many types of jobs such as manufacturing have altogether been eliminated.

Complaining about exploitation, illegal immigrants, **** jobs, etc does not and will not address the core issue at hand - all it does it perpetuate self-pity and helplessness.

Companies have already adapted to this new reality - the workforce still hasn't come to terms with this. If you're complaining about crap jobs and exploitation, I'd recommend that you start thinking about ways you can adapt to this new world. With every change there are opportunities. If you're not going to be able to make a living the way you used to, I would change something. Complaining and hoping that wages will come back up won't change things. Adapt or get left behind.
I beg to differ. Complaining is the American Way, and if done enough, by enough people, those in power will eventually listen. I do my part to support our state representatives that voted in the new anti-illegal immigration law, a law that was passed due to massive public outcry against the flood of illegals stealing jobs from us citizens. If more people would complain in other states, perhaps more laws would be passed in our favor - that's what democracy is all about.

On the national level, there's a great deal that could be done to make things easier for the American worker - fair trade laws, instead of this scam of "free trade." A law could be passed to ban H1-B visas, which are totally unneeded in today's employment climate here in the US. We can pass a national law to raise the minimum wage, which many states are already doing, as the feds continue to drag their feet on this issue. And the list goes on and on.

As for moving on to "greener pastures", that's not practical for many people. Here in Atlanta, housing prices have fallen 17.2% just in the past year. If you've got a house with a mortgage that's more than the house is worth, it's not so easy to just up stakes and move to where the jobs are. In my case, I would LOVE to move north, like to Upstate New York or upper Michigan, but personal circumstances just do not permit that kind of move right now.

And besides, these forums are made for complaining and venting - certainly a lot better than burning the ears off my friends and family, who know the story all too well...lol. (actually, I do have friends that love to complain, guess that's why they're my friends...LOL). But here, I feel a sense of camaraderie among others that feel the same way I do, which is why I keep coming back to this board and saying the things I do. Mutual support and all of that.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM

154 posts, read 524,698 times
Stop already with the H1-B's. Employers are required to pay prevailing wages for that position and area. Filing for an H1-B costs about 5-6k for an employer and there are specialized skill requirements. Do you really think that most American companies would choose an H1-B applicant over a local applicant if there was an option? H1-B's are used positions that are difficult to fill such as scientists or engineers.

A lot of it just boils down to dollars and cents and trying to compete in this new global economy. I think everyday companies are balancing the decision to hire locally or outsource based on pure economics. All things being equal, I think most American companies would choose to employ citizens if they could - but they are competing against global companies with lower operating costs.

As for illegal immigration, that is another issue. I do think companies are wrong to employee illegal immigrants and I agree with all the sentiments on the additional strain of illegal immigrants on our infrastructure, but again, American farmers are competing against a global economy.

Sure we could legislate and affect change but wouldn't that result in inflation - which in the end results with a net zero. It would be nice if everyone got paid > 20 per hour but then who wants to pay 5 bucks for an orange or 300 bucks to have your house cleaned?

Its a zero sum game. The world has changed and people need to spend their energy adapting and taking advantage of new opportunities instead of lamenting about the way things were.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
Stop already with the H1-B's. Employers are required to pay prevailing wages for that position and area. Filing for an H1-B costs about 5-6k for an employer and there are specialized skill requirements. Do you really think that most American companies would choose an H1-B applicant over a local applicant if there was an option? H1-B's are used positions that are difficult to fill such as scientists or engineers.

A lot of it just boils down to dollars and cents and trying to compete in this new global economy. I think everyday companies are balancing the decision to hire locally or outsource based on pure economics. All things being equal, I think most American companies would choose to employ citizens if they could - but they are competing against global companies with lower operating costs.

As for illegal immigration, that is another issue. I do think companies are wrong to employee illegal immigrants and I agree with all the sentiments on the additional strain of illegal immigrants on our infrastructure, but again, American farmers are competing against a global economy.

Sure we could legislate and affect change but wouldn't that result in inflation - which in the end results with a net zero. It would be nice if everyone got paid > 20 per hour but then who wants to pay 5 bucks for an orange or 300 bucks to have your house cleaned?

Its a zero sum game. The world has changed and people need to spend their energy adapting and taking advantage of new opportunities instead of lamenting about the way things were.
That sort of thing sound great in theory, but doesn't work in practice, not when 3 out of 4 jobs are being eliminated forever, etc, etc.

And what's with this worship of the "global economy" anyways? The United States is not the world, and the world isn't the United States. There's no reason why wages have to fall to the levels paid in the rest of the world, and we as a people should fight this trend tooth and nail. I don't care if we have to carry out scorched-Earth trade wars, put a total stop to immigration, or bus out the illegals already here - it's our country and our way of life, and I'll be damned if we're going to be just like the rest of the (third) world.

Economics isn't some law of nature or law of God, it's a silly human invention that's been twisted and distorted to benefit the few. So-called "economics" can be manipulated and used for our collective advantage, if the will is there. And believe me, more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon to fight the status quo, both here in the US and in Europe.

Better break out the popcorn and x-tra large Coke, as it's gonna be a long movie.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
There is major fraud and abuse in H1B visa it is common knowledge to those in the tech field. It is about having a trapped worker as well. They work 80+ hours a week every week for 6 years. They say nothing so they will not get shipped back. So you pay an H1B 70K work him like a dog his great rate of pay works out to about 16.82 an hour. This is gross not net so it is even less then that after taxes. They do not want to hire US tech workers. Their was a lawyer who was showed teaching US companies how to avoid hiring US tech workers and get the H1B you want. It was on u tube real eye opener.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Money itself is a slave invention. Look at all the people nowadays on the internet that talk about living "off the grid" without money. Growing their own food, using solar power boards, hunting, etc. In the caveman days there was no such thing as pieces of paper with so called "value" to them. You built a house, hunted your food and lived.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Money itself is a slave invention. Look at all the people nowadays on the internet that talk about living "off the grid" without money. Growing their own food, using solar power boards, hunting, etc. In the caveman days there was no such thing as pieces of paper with so called "value" to them. You built a house, hunted your food and lived.

They're "living off the grid" but they have internet access?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That sort of thing sound great in theory, but doesn't work in practice, not when 3 out of 4 jobs are being eliminated forever, etc, etc.

And what's with this worship of the "global economy" anyways? The United States is not the world, and the world isn't the United States. There's no reason why wages have to fall to the levels paid in the rest of the world, and we as a people should fight this trend tooth and nail. I don't care if we have to carry out scorched-Earth trade wars, put a total stop to immigration, or bus out the illegals already here - it's our country and our way of life, and I'll be damned if we're going to be just like the rest of the (third) world.

Economics isn't some law of nature or law of God, it's a silly human invention that's been twisted and distorted to benefit the few. So-called "economics" can be manipulated and used for our collective advantage, if the will is there. And believe me, more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon to fight the status quo, both here in the US and in Europe.

Better break out the popcorn and x-tra large Coke, as it's gonna be a long movie.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
America is in a race to the bottom when it comes to labor.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
They're "living off the grid" but they have internet access?
Wifi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment