Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
There's only two possible situations here

1. The company is defective

2. The person/people they hire are defective

my vote goes to #1
Company has been in business for over 26 years and remained profitable (barely) even through this terrible economy. Want to rethink that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
There's only two possible situations here

1. The company is defective

2. The person/people they hire are defective

my vote goes to #1
I'm more inclined to surmise that the person who makes such a judgement is the one who's defective.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Skilled labor doesn't mean being able to do math, or use computers, or anything like that. It just means you do something that requires skill. And obviously something that requires 5 years of experience to do well is a skill. This worker you have probably just isn't that bright on the general intelligence scale. You could send him to get his GED and he'd just flunk out. But he's still skilled labor.
That depends what kind of skilled labor your speaking of. Tell that to certain types of electricians. My profession could really use some brains as well too. The machine shop I will be starting at next week has a nice apprentice program. They allow candidates to take the company laptop home to get familiar with CAD/CAM programming. From what I have been told, none of the kids are interested anymore. Those that are don't seem to possess the math skills and mechanical inclination to be of any use. Plenty of trig and geometry required in the machinist trade. A good machinist never has to look far for a job around these parts. A mediocre one with poor math skills better pick another line of work though.

I never see too many bright kids saying they want to be machinists anymore though. Same goes for a lot of other honest paying trades.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Your right about the trades and your right about tool and die and I know about them sending tool and die to China using only a few repairmen. I just saw a thing in the paper and on tv as well about how the US needed tool and tie makers. It was nuts annek was posting how kids are lazy do not want to get their hands dirty. Kids know alot of the trades are dying their dads are telling not do not this. Buddy dad was a mill wight told him not to do it. If they need any tool and die makers it is not going to happen they sent the work China and their pipeline is gone. Heck alot of trades your work half the year. Their are reasons many kids do not want to go into the trades lazy is not one them.
We probably will be needing tool and die makers, mold makers, and other highly skilled manufacturing workers in the future. We could loose 80% of that work, but we don't have anywhere near the number of kids training for these professions to handle the 20% of work that will need to be done here in the future. I know of many companies out in Wisconsin literally screaming for tool and die makers, but all they are finding are retired ones who may be willing to work 20 hours a week on their own personal schedule. The unfortunate thing about tool and die... It takes 4 years to become even remotely proficient. And once it's gone, it's gone forever.

But another thing to consider... Technology has revolutionized the way things are made. The processes are totally different these days. A CNC machine can be programmed to produce a die in a few hours that would have taken a week or longer to make 30 years ago. This is killing the traditional methods of T&D making, but it's also a sign of progress. Those who learn and embrace the new methods will fair much better than those that try to fight it. We can do more with less. Tools are also being mass produced today by machines. Customized tooling may still be made by a tool maker, but this is seldom done as the catalog of mass produced tooling continues to grow every year. Sometimes, to save money, engineers will also change print specifications to match the availability of catalog tooling. The field is changing at light speed, and naturally, some will be left in the dust.

I still take the time to learn how to do things the old fashioned way, when the opportunity arises, because I do think it has some value. My bread and butter is always in the new methods though.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,775 times
Thumbs down hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You are right, but people also want to complain that they are only getting 8.5 an hr to answer phones or file paperwork or push a button on a machine or type information. I dont care if you have been answering phones for 20 years, its still not a highly qualified job. When my husband was on unemployment (for 15 months) his unemployment paid him about 11 an hr. We live in NJ and it was 40% of his salary when he was working. But he was looking for a job all the time for any job that offered 11 an hr, because unemployment is a stop gap to going back to work and sometimes you have to work for less than your perceived worth. Especially if we want to have an economic recovery.
so...when was the last time you sat at a switchboard for a company w/over 3,000 employees and 500 medical professionals and 32 incoming lines 24.7? Answering phones is a highly qualified position. Think about it the next time you hang up on an Operator.
Koale

Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not surprised. I always feel people have an inflated view of the skill level and intelligence of the average American worker.
I've seen that same confused look when you tell a housekeeper to do the job properly whether that housekeeper is American or not. I've had Bulgarian and Mexican housekeepers give me that same head-cocked-to-the-side confused look, like "Oh...you DIDN'T want me to pour bleach all over your potholders?" "You DIDN'T want me to stop up your bathtub drain?" "You DIDN'T want me to leave a weird sticky residue all over your bathroom woodwork?"

Half-a$$ing the jobs Americans "won't do", apparently.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:15 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You are right, but people also want to complain that they are only getting 8.5 an hr to answer phones or file paperwork or push a button on a machine or type information. I dont care if you have been answering phones for 20 years, its still not a highly qualified job. When my husband was on unemployment (for 15 months) his unemployment paid him about 11 an hr. We live in NJ and it was 40% of his salary when he was working. But he was looking for a job all the time for any job that offered 11 an hr, because unemployment is a stop gap to going back to work and sometimes you have to work for less than your perceived worth. Especially if we want to have an economic recovery.
And how would YOU know? Ever tried it?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That depends what kind of skilled labor your speaking of. Tell that to certain types of electricians. My profession could really use some brains as well too. The machine shop I will be starting at next week has a nice apprentice program. They allow candidates to take the company laptop home to get familiar with CAD/CAM programming. From what I have been told, none of the kids are interested anymore. Those that are don't seem to possess the math skills and mechanical inclination to be of any use. Plenty of trig and geometry required in the machinist trade. A good machinist never has to look far for a job around these parts. A mediocre one with poor math skills better pick another line of work though.

I never see too many bright kids saying they want to be machinists anymore though. Same goes for a lot of other honest paying trades.
Agreed! Plumbers also need math skills and particularly if they are doing new construction they need to be able to read and interpret blueprints. Mechanics need to have computer skills to run diagnostic programs and look at parts discs.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
so...when was the last time you sat at a switchboard for a company w/over 3,000 employees and 500 medical professionals and 32 incoming lines 24.7? Answering phones is a highly qualified position. Think about it the next time you hang up on an Operator.
Koale
I've been there, done that, and I'd call it semi-skilled. The learning curve is in soft skills, not hard skills. A person with some common sense and basic computer skills can become fully proficient on a typical switchboard in a couple of days. It's learning to deal with difficult people on the other end of the phone, the corporate structure, and industry lingo that takes time--but that's the case in most jobs. Bottom line, the job can be done by someone with a 9th grade education and the right personality. Like I said, been there, done that, so I'm not talking out my ear.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM

750 posts, read 1,446,266 times
I am glad it worked out for your son. Never heard of anybody walking in an going to the meat department after one year. I also never heard of 12 people in a meat department before. Both of things are very very uncommon. Most supermarkets no longer cut meat at all to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment